Photo

Character and Adventure Card Templates - coming soon...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

In answer to mmilli's post in the John Goodenough Interview thread, I thought I'd post news that I will be uploading templates for use with Photoshop, Gimp and similar imaging software to make characters and the like for the Revised 4th Edition of Talisman.

They'll be in PSD format with layers, but I'll probably chuck in some blank JPG files for anyone who prefers them.

I still need to add some bits to the Adventure cards, but they are more or less done. The plan is to post them to Talisman Island next weekend after a bit more time off for New Year!

I've posted this in a new thread as I don't want to get the questions mixed up with general discussion in the other thread.

I'll let you know as soon as they are available!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#2 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Awesome! Do you have a printing guide, too? Cardstock to use, etc.

#3 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

I'll try to include as much detail as possible regarding fonts to use, sizes, etc.

What I will be doing to create new cards is what I did with BI's version. Using a "spare" copy of the game I will be using sticker paper to apply to real cards! I know it sounds like madness, but that way you cannot tell the new and old cards apart as you can with home produced cards.

The problem with the FFG cards is that they have a "linen" finish which you would have to try and reproduce if you wanted them to truly blend in.

I didn't really used to bother, especially in my 2nd Edition days when I was happy to have cardbacks created using a B & W photocopier! The thing is that when you have a number of additional cards in your deck you may know that it is going to be a new card coming up, but you don't know which particular card it is, which can add to the suspense!

For the moment, you can always check out a couple of  tutorial from Talisman Island which were made by Hallow Knight and Cider Vampire for other editions. *NOTE* If you are using Cider Vampire's guide, the FFG Adventure cards are the same dimensions as 3rd Edition Adventure cards.

http://www.talismanisland.com/hallowcards.htm

http://www.talismanisland.com/cidercards.htm

#4 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:21 AM

Sticker paper on actual cards sounds like the way to go for the best quality. Now there is a reason for me to buy an upgrade pack!

#5 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

talismanisland said:

In answer to mmilli's post in the John Goodenough Interview thread, I thought I'd post news that I will be uploading templates for use with Photoshop, Gimp and similar imaging software to make characters and the like for the Revised 4th Edition of Talisman.

Thank you for this, most kind to share with us!  I was just about to rework my PSDs for the new FFG format... but I'll wait to see yours.

#6 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

You can purchase "linen" paper.  It has close to the same feel.  Print the backs of the cards on that card stock.

Then print the action side on sticky paper and attach.

Ta-Dah!

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

Just a quick update to let people know I have not forgotten about the templates. I was about to start updating the download section of my site, but it's suddenly gone down mid upload!! I've no idea why, so hopefully it's just a small blip and they are restarting servers or something.

I'll post again when I've uploaded them.

#8 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

...and, as if by magic, the site reappeared!

If you go to the downloads section of Talisman Island you can now download PSD templates for cards and there is also a download with PNG copies of the backgrounds, in case you use another method.

http://www.talismanisland.com/downloads.htm

I will be making some sort of tutorial for them, possibly tomorrow, but if you are familiar with the use of Layers, they should be a breeze to use.

Cardbacks and the like will follow when the tutorial is done!

#9 ravachol

ravachol

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

thank you very much !

#10 myomer

myomer

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Awww just when I've perfected my process for creating chars! :)

Thanks for these will check them out asap.

#11 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

And again... my great thanks! I'll be sure to mention your contribution in any creations I come up with.

#12 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

I hope they are of use to people. I've not done the tutorial as yet, but I'll get to it. You will notice that the cards are set up to use my way of using stickers over existing cards, so they do not need to be "card sized". I will be posting another set with an outline to cut around should you want to print directly to card as soon as I've done with it.

#13 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

You could also combine them (at least with the PSD version), providing crop marks layers for either sticker or card printing.

#14 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

Yes, I'll be including something like that. Whatever I can do that works!

#15 Lancer T

Lancer T

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

That character art set as an example blends well with current 4th edition character art ,could it be a hidden preview of  the pirate or rogue.

#16 ravachol

ravachol

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

i'm waiting for the cardback and all the good work, all of you are going to do !!!

#17 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Lancer T said:

That character art set as an example blends well with current 4th edition character art ,could it be a hidden preview of  the pirate or rogue.

Looks like a Jack Sparrow pirate to me. Note the cutlass and outfit. Even the black and white color scheme for his pants and headband is the skull and crossbones colors. I noticed that the reaper watermark has a skull but this expansion watermark is a little star. I wonder what expansion theme features a star...gee, could it be Timescape maybe?

Can't wait to play a Space Marine in the new addition. I wonder if they are going to add a new power like fate for the Timescape setting like tech points.

#18 Bludgeon

Bludgeon

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

When I'm trying to modify Strength value PS says I lack "caxtonstd bold" font. I've installed everything from talismanisland. Any ideas?

#19 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

If you can't get Caxton fonts to work (available from Talismanisland.com), another possibility is to download a freeware Talisman style font created by Sam Wallace at the Talisman Advanced site. Once you've installed it, and opened Jon's template, you will have to change the font for text manually. But Sam's font does work well and is indistinguishable from Caxton to the eye.

http://talismanadvanced.wikispaces.com/Official+Fonts

#20 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:41 AM

Oops!

I forgot I had used one of the Opentype Caxton fonts too! I've now updated the zip with the other Caxton fonts.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS