Ferrox = Suck

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Ferrox Card - from Searching the Room - Roll 1 die to determine how many lives the Ferrox has, and then test Strength. If you succeed, the Ferrox loses 1 life. If you fail, suffer 1 wound. Continue testing Strength until the Ferrox loses all of its lives or you are killed.

Question: if you fail the roll - and suffer a wound - do you get a determination point? I didn't play that you did - as each time it is a separate roll to check - but I suppose you should... as you are trying to be determined to kill the bugger. I would assume as well that you would then lose the determination point once you did get a successful roll.

Though: this guy is almost a certain death for Brother Gherinn and Tatianna. This card killed my character in the TWO GAMES I have now played. That's a little OP in my book lol. I rolled a 5 for him the first time and got him down to 1 point - this time I rolled a 4 and didn't hurt him once as Brother Gherinn's strength is only 3!!!!! (I know I could have added determination - and I will from now on, I wasn't thinking - but hey - anyone else get SMACKED by that damn Ferrox?

#2 kingbobb

kingbobb

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

I would say you get the DT for a failed roll, like you would with any other failed test.  A successful roll would have you discard all your DTs, to start over again.

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

I don't know how the rules play out, but my gut reaction would be to say no, you don't get a DT.  Mind you, I also enjoy the high probability of death in the game, so I think I'll find myself siding with whatever makes things more dangerous for the heroes for a lot of these kinds of questions.

The way I see it, DTs exist to help prevent you from getting stuck somewhere.  Like in a web, unable to break out.  Little if any risk of dying, but you're trapped and can't do anything but roll one check each turn.  That's boring, and DTs exist to ensure you have an increasing chance of getting free until you do get free.  But with this Ferrox, there's no danger of getting stuck.  Either it will die or you will, but your hero won't be trapped indefinitely fighting the Ferrox.  Again, I don't know what the rules have to say, but that's my gut reaction.

#4 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

Steve-O said:

I don't know how the rules play out, but my gut reaction would be to say no, you don't get a DT.  Mind you, I also enjoy the high probability of death in the game, so I think I'll find myself siding with whatever makes things more dangerous for the heroes for a lot of these kinds of questions.

The way I see it, DTs exist to help prevent you from getting stuck somewhere.  Like in a web, unable to break out.  Little if any risk of dying, but you're trapped and can't do anything but roll one check each turn.  That's boring, and DTs exist to ensure you have an increasing chance of getting free until you do get free.  But with this Ferrox, there's no danger of getting stuck.  Either it will die or you will, but your hero won't be trapped indefinitely fighting the Ferrox.  Again, I don't know what the rules have to say, but that's my gut reaction.

I'm part way with ya man - I like the high chance of death. :) BUT - my VERY FIRST TWO LOSSES in this version of DQ were to the Ferrox!!!

The two characters I mentioned - each have 3 and 4 strength. You roll a D6 to determine the lives the Ferrox has. THEN - you have a roll off, you roll 2 die, add up the number, and if you fail the strength test - you lose a point, you pass, ferrox loses a point.

I rolled my entire way to death without getting a 2 or a 3 my second time - I didn't even hurt the Ferrox!!!!

If it was regular combat - I would have faired better against a demon the way the game is setup!!!!

That is where my problem is with it. :) Then again - MAYBE with determination tokens - had I been using them - I would have hit him once or twice... But hey - you can also just flat out die if you have to jump a gap too... :)

#5 cloud730

cloud730

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

The rules state when ever a hero fails and attribute test he gets a determination token.  P.23

Doesn't say it's restricted to certain events or tiles only and the ferrox is an attribute test.  That and the fact that there is more than one ferrox in the deck and some characters have such low strength that they would be dead should one pop up so without gaining tokens.  As it stands even getting tokens still means you're going to be taking multiple wounds if you're one of those low str characters, so they are still plenty dangerous.

#6 Socat82

Socat82

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

I think i saw it posted on BGG that at Gencon demos, they added determination for the ferrox tests. here i found the thread

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/556317/determination-tokens-vs-the-ferrox

not an official ruling though but seems like the right way to play it.

#7 BillStivers

BillStivers

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

I agree with kingbobb.

#8 Siphonen

Siphonen

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

The Ferrox is considered an attribute test since you are relying on the attributes.

As long it's an attribute test and the hero is failing, he/she will get a determination token as Cloud730 stated.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS