Single Player Game?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shadowtag

shadowtag

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

I noticed that the DungeonQuest page shows 1-4 players.  Does anyone know how well this plays as a single player game?  I'm probably going to buy this anyway, but a good single player game would seal the deal!

#2 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

Heroes interact little if at all.  This is based off my experience with older editions of the game, but looking through the rulebook I don't think that's going to change much in this edition.  Sounds like sudden and traumatic death for a hero is as omnipresent as ever.  You could play four heroes all by yourself in an effort to win with one of them. =)

#3 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

shadowtag said:

I noticed that the DungeonQuest page shows 1-4 players.  Does anyone know how well this plays as a single player game?  I'm probably going to buy this anyway, but a good single player game would seal the deal!

I played the original a few times single player and enjoyed it - was something to do if I wasn't really interested in what was on the TV. I am hoping that the new version is just as enjoyable as a SP game. There is another thread on here with a person who is reporting his single player games and is presenting a challenge for people to post their 2 games. Might not be a bad place to look at for some feeling one way or the other on how well it plays.

#4 Foligatto

Foligatto

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

The market is saturated with non-single player board games.

Social activities are pretty dead in these dire Internet times. The art of friendship is also buried in the past. So, yes, it is a miracle when a board game supporting solo play appears on the market. I admit that is precisely why I am so damn hooked on DungeonQuest. I also buy it exclusively for the promise of single play.

#5 Torbal

Torbal

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

Play four heroes solo; last one to die is the winner!

#6 BillStivers

BillStivers

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

It plays great as a solo game, but even better with friends.  Try out the solo challenge each week once you get your copy.

#7 shadowtag

shadowtag

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:54 AM

The solo challenges sound like a great idea.  I'm definitely looking forward to this one!

#8 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

I'll be runnin' my first solo runs tonight. :) Played with 2 others last night - was great to see the game (exception of combat) really hold true to the flair of the original.

#9 Foligatto

Foligatto

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

SoylentGreen, not to be indelicate but can you tell me where did you get the game?

I am from Europe and I cant wait anymore! I want to buy it from U.S. if that's the only option right now.

#10 SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:32 AM

Foligatto said:

SoylentGreen, not to be indelicate but can you tell me where did you get the game?

I am from Europe and I cant wait anymore! I want to buy it from U.S. if that's the only option right now.

It came into my local game store on Tuesday. Picked it up from them. Not sure if you can order here - but a store at amazon has 3 left:

www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-VA72-DungeonQuest/dp/1589949048/ref=sr_1_1

#11 shadowtag

shadowtag

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

Let us know how the solo challenges go.

Also, as Napoleon Dynamite says: Lucky!

#12 daylar

daylar

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:34 AM

I played 2 single player games using Hugo the Glorious last night and was soundly destroyed both times.

The first game I died 2 tiles into the Dungeon. The first tile had a door, which was trapped for 2 turns dealing me 4 wounds. Finally getting through, I entered a room with a portcullis behind me (preventing an escape) and encountered a Demon with health 8. The luck of combat cards was sooooo bad I was laughing as I got torn to shreds. I only ended up doing 1 wound on the Demon before he had me for dinner. (Gametime = 10 minutes).

I quickly reset everything and started again. I had some better luck initially, making my way toward the Treasure Chamber. I grabbed a couple treasures, got through a spider web and cave-in and found an entrance to the catacombs. Wanting to try it out, I descended. While down there, I had a couple encounters, another treasure and eventually emerged 6 spaces away. Yet I emerged into yet another room with a portcullis which was home to a Troll. While he only had 4 health, I was already suffering wounds encountered earlier (including 3 wounds from an unstable potion). I had a little better luck, but a 3 card counterattack by the Troll did me in. (Gametime = 25 minutes).

All in all, great romp and it was indeed fun getting my skull bashed in. My son (12) was getting ready for bed at the time but watched some of it and is ready to give it a go this weekend. He likes the non-death option, so we will likely try that variant out as well.

#13 BillStivers

BillStivers

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

daylar said:

I played 2 single player games using Hugo the Glorious last night and was soundly destroyed both times.

The first game I died 2 tiles into the Dungeon. The first tile had a door, which was trapped for 2 turns dealing me 4 wounds. Finally getting through, I entered a room with a portcullis behind me (preventing an escape) and encountered a Demon with health 8. The luck of combat cards was sooooo bad I was laughing as I got torn to shreds. I only ended up doing 1 wound on the Demon before he had me for dinner. (Gametime = 10 minutes).

I quickly reset everything and started again. I had some better luck initially, making my way toward the Treasure Chamber. I grabbed a couple treasures, got through a spider web and cave-in and found an entrance to the catacombs. Wanting to try it out, I descended. While down there, I had a couple encounters, another treasure and eventually emerged 6 spaces away. Yet I emerged into yet another room with a portcullis which was home to a Troll. While he only had 4 health, I was already suffering wounds encountered earlier (including 3 wounds from an unstable potion). I had a little better luck, but a 3 card counterattack by the Troll did me in. (Gametime = 25 minutes).

All in all, great romp and it was indeed fun getting my skull bashed in. My son (12) was getting ready for bed at the time but watched some of it and is ready to give it a go this weekend. He likes the non-death option, so we will likely try that variant out as well.

Sounds like you got the hang of it.  Try the solo challenge  each week for fun.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS