Satellite Stores?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bootlegbaker

bootlegbaker

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Forgive me for repeating this question but has there been any mention at Gencon or any other venue that FFG have plans to expand their stores/centers out? Thanks:)

#2 Sluggonics

Sluggonics

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:45 AM

This question was asked at GenCon according to Christian Petersen, there are currently no plans to create satellite stores or additional event center-type places. 

#3 Bounder

Bounder

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

I think the only reason that the Event Center exists is because of the close proximity to HQ and their desire to have a public place for people to congregate and play their games. It's risky to start up a game store, the inventory alone is a huge investment. With the event center they are selling mostly games they manufacture so the overhead of unsold inventory in the store isn't as big of a problem. I have no idea what it costs to print a copy of any of their games but I would guess that they are selling an $80 game to distributors for $25, stores are buying from distributors for about $45 and stores are selling for list price. So, where as a store has $45 invested in each copy of the game, FFG only has $25-cost to manufacture (about $15). That's about 1/3 the inventory overhead as a regular store. So, assuimng they did open a chain of stores they'd almost certainly have to expand inventory and carry other brands of which they'd likely have to buy from a distributor. That would greatly increase the inventory overhead of the business.

I think the FFG idea of the Event Center is mostly on the promotional side of things and not so much on directly selling games. Now they have a very nice space to host sponsored events like Arkham Nights and the like. Just as long as the EC can tread water I think they'll keep it open. Judging from the nights I'm there (mostly Thursdays), it seems to get a good amount of traffic given how new it is.

The thing about the Event Center is that it really pushes FFG games. I say that as a good thing. However, that's probably not a model to start a chain of stores on (pushing one brand).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS