cheat sheet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 urbanpanda

urbanpanda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

I made this cheat sheet for when I'm teaching people the game so they would have some reference without having to pass the instruction manual around every 5 seconds, and I wanted to ask people who know the game better than me what you think since I don't have an amazing grasp on the game myself.

Do I have any incorrect information? Is there something that I missed that is needed often by new players? Something that's confusing?

Here's the URL:  http://robotsdontble...rcheatsheet.jpg

Thanks, also, obviously anyone else who might want to use it is free to do so.

I'm including the .ai file so people can make changes:

http://robotsdontble...orcheatsheet.ai

Edited by urbanpanda, Yesterday, 10:38 AM.

#2 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:51 AM

Nice job, very clear communication skills. I have just looked it over in my lunch break, there are some things you need to add, but it will take me too much time to point them all out right now. There are aquatic monsters (orange) and stalkers (purple) for example (dont know if you are including expansions?) and in the Upkeep and Mythos I would add "Use items" before "Adjust skill sliders" (can be important with spells) and also "Resolve end of turn actions" after "Resolve special ability" (some cards like ongoing rumours have you do things at the end of turn).

#3 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

Also very important is if you succeed at an initial evade check your movement can continue.

#4 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

Very impressive!  Your combat flow chart is magnificent!

Forgive the nitpickiness (but perhaps that's what you're looking for):

- "Refresh Equipment" is perhaps a bit too specific.  There are non-equipment things that are refreshed: Skills, Special Abilities, some Allies.  (Maybe I'm being too touchy about the word "equipment" but it feels like a term that means "tradeable".)

- "Adjust Skill Sliders" should be the very last thing on the Upkeep List.

- DJ already mentioned movement and Initial Evade Check.

This is great for just the base game Arkham Horror, but you know there will be some extra stuff that might have to get shoved in here as you expand.  But I assume that before you add Expansions, you'll have learned the basics backwards and forwards and you can fill in any extra bits to your own cultists personally.

Terrific work!  Welcome to the Carnival, Urbanpanda!

What was that noise?

#5 urbanpanda

urbanpanda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thanks, I've updated it with your suggestions(Link!), except stuff that pertains to expansions because I don't own any yet.  The expansions all look great, but it's too bad they add to the board, because my table already can't handle everything. One day though, 

I'm glad you liked the combat flow chart, the main reason I made the cheat sheet is because I thought combat would be too hard to explain without one.

Thanks for replying both of you!

#6 cartoonsniper

cartoonsniper

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

like the chart, but i'm still kinda new myself so i don't have any pointers to add. As far as new expansions and table space goes, get one of the smaller sets!

i recently got the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and other than needing a rubber band to hold a few more cards together when i store them in the box, on table you really only have 2 or 3 more piles of cards depending on just how well you like to spilt up your special cards, (exhibit items deck, barred deck, added benefits/deteriments to the special cards pile, and everything else goes into existing decks from the base set)

#7 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:04 AM

This is very impressive (uh oh, now jgt will jinx me).  I need to look at it more carefully, but it looks like a great tool for training new players.

#8 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

........well, I won't NOW.  You saw me coming.

Urbanpanda, one of my cultists (Pizza) is so enchanted by your work that he wants to start sending you blank checks with which to buy all the expansions as soon as possible, so as to update your cheat sheet with all current pertinent information.

The sooner we do this, the sooner you get your life back.

What was that noise?

#9 urbanpanda

urbanpanda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

@cartoonsniper

Thanks, the little expansions look to be exactly what I was looking for, I might try and get one of them soon. I actually thought they all came with an extra game board and whatnot...

@Avi_dreader

Thanks

@ jgt7771

I will gladly accept any money offered, especially if it's coming from one of my favorite foods.

#10 Innsmouth13

Innsmouth13

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

urbanpanda:  Your sheet is amazing.  Can't wait till you update it to include the new monster movements.  Really good job.

You think I suffer from insanity, I don't. I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

#11 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Love the choice of font! Light, geometric sans-serifs are my favorites, and I hold Futura in particular esteem

#12 Nephilim42

Nephilim42

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Thank you so much for putting this sheet together.  I'm going to be running my first game soon and I'll be using your sheet to help things along.

#13 urbanpanda

urbanpanda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Nephilim42 said:

Thank you so much for putting this sheet together.  I'm going to be running my first game soon and I'll be using your sheet to help things along.

Sweet, tell me how it works out, actually using it will be the best way to tell if it needs more explanation anywhere. I'm not sure when I'll be able to convince new people to try the game out myself.

@Innsmouth13

I'll try to put up an updated one, I will need to finish reading through all of the expansion's instruction booklets first though, it's really cool of FF to put them up on the site.

@Tibs

Futura is where it's at, I overuse the crap out of it. I'm moving on to preferring the look of DIN recently for my sans serif needs though.

#14 Innsmouth13

Innsmouth13

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

Just looked over your sheet again. It is a great guide but you forgot minor one thing: What happens when you are sent to jail.  According to pg 16, any investigator who is arrested lose half their money (rounded down) and is delayed.

Its not major but I thought I'd say something.

You think I suffer from insanity, I don't. I ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

#15 avec

avec

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Nice work.  One nitpick with the movement phase.  It might give people the impression that they can't move onto a location with a monster and fight the monster during the same phase.  

#16 urbanpanda

urbanpanda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

updated the link because I had accidentally killed it moving servers and I put up the illustrator file so that people can edit it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS