• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanDave

DanDave

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

I have a rules question

While playing this weekend my group got into a little argument about the movement rules when a character is running away after battle. This was during round 5 when the Alarm was sounded in the city. My character was 3 spaces away at the end of my turn from leaving the city. Another players' character was 5 spaces and had a militiaman in the space in front of them (not blocking my path). At the beginning of round 7 during their turn the other player moved the militiaman into the space in front of me to block my path (good strategy). I moved my character on that round to attack the militiaman and won!! To block the other person from getting to the exit next turn I wanted to move the losing militiaman to the exit square.

Here is the question:

Does a losing character HAVE to move 3 spaces if moving three spaces is possible (I could of moved the character in another direction three spaces but wanted to block the other players path), or can you choose a direction you want to move the character and move them as far as possible (only 2 spaces in this case)?

#2 DanDave

DanDave

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

DanDave said:

At the beginning of round 7 during their turn the other player moved the militiaman into the space in front of me to block my path (good strategy). .

:

Sorry this was supposed to be at the beginning of round 6.

#3 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

On p.17 of the Rules it states a Thief may not attack an militiaman,so if I'm reading this correctly your Character could not have attacked anyway.

As to the running away part "The loser runs away 3 spaces.
He is moved 3 spaces by the winner of the
fight If it is not possible to move 3 spaces,
he must move as far as he can possibly go
As he runs away, he may cross a space occupied
by another character, but he must
end up in an unoccupied space A fleeing
character cannot move onto the same space
more than once during this movement"

I read this as yes the Winner chooses the direction & if 3 spaces are not possible in that direction then it can be  less if thats as far as possible.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#4 DanDave

DanDave

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Wow.. We completely missed that rule. Even after you pointed it out it took me a second to find it on the page. Thank you, that does change a few things

Thank you as well for the clarification of the running away rule. That is how I read the rule myself.

#5 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

DanDave said:

Wow.. We completely missed that rule. Even after you pointed it out it took me a second to find it on the page. Thank you, that does change a few things

Thank you as well for the clarification of the running away rule. That is how I read the rule myself.

Great Minds

A Dwarf in Winter

#6 Uncle Bodybagz

Uncle Bodybagz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Old Dwarf said:

On p.17 of the Rules it states a Thief may not attack an militiaman,so if I'm reading this correctly your Character could not have attacked anyway.

As to the running away part "The loser runs away 3 spaces.
He is moved 3 spaces by the winner of the
fight If it is not possible to move 3 spaces,
he must move as far as he can possibly go
As he runs away, he may cross a space occupied
by another character, but he must
end up in an unoccupied space A fleeing
character cannot move onto the same space
more than once during this movement"

I read this as yes the Winner chooses the direction & if 3 spaces are not possible in that direction then it can be  less if thats as far as possible.

OD

I am not sure you are playing this right. I read that rule to mean that if there is any direction possible that a character who lost a fight could move 3 spaces then they must be moved the 3 spaces. You shouldn't be able to pick a direction, and then say that there is no spaces available that are 3 spaces away. The first sentence in the rule is "The loser runs away 3 spaces," not "The winner chooses which direction the loser will run, and the character is moved 3 spaces away, if possible." 

You must move the loser 3 spaces away if it is at all possible, regardless of the direction that movement would take the character. 

Bagz

#7 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

Well UB,this may need some official clarfication.I think if it's up to the Winner to move the fig.then he picks the direction-it provides for a little strategy.It seems logical to me that if your thief wins he should be able to send the Militia fig. in any direction that benefits his gang.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS