• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Do you add a doom token when this happens?  I've always played that you do, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure if there's any place where it says you should.  Is there?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

*cue mocking laughter

FAQ:

"Q: When a location card says “a gate and a monster
appear,” is a doom token added to the doom track?
A: Yes."

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Glasgow Scotland

Glasgow Scotland

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

One other question that sometimes comes up with "gate and monster appear"  -----

If the location is sealed, so a  new gate cannot appear, does the monster still appear?

It's my impression, "no."  The logic is -- no gate appears, so there's nowhere for the monster to come from.

I believe that's right, isn't it?

#4 cim

cim

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:18 AM

That's how I play it - the intent of the card seems to be "open a gate on this location as if one had opened here in the Mythos phase".

#5 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

Glasgow Scotland said:

One other question that sometimes comes up with "gate and monster appear"  -----

If the location is sealed, so a  new gate cannot appear, does the monster still appear?

It's my impression, "no."  The logic is -- no gate appears, so there's nowhere for the monster to come from.

I believe that's right, isn't it?

The rules themselves state how to handle that situation:

"Once these actions have been taken, the gate is now
sealed: No further gates can open and no monsters can
appear at the location of the sealed gate for the remainder
of the game." (p. 18)

So even a monster appears encounter would get nulled by the seal.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#6 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

More complicated situations arise however that I am unaware of there being an answer for.

For example:

There is an encounter at Independence Square where a creepy man is walking off with a child. You hvae two options: confront or don't confront. If you confront the man turns into a monster and you fight. If you fight and win, you get a reward. If you don't, then the child is later found murdered. So if the place is sealed or Kate is at that location, no monster appears. Do you get the reward? Does the child die?

-Frank

#7 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

Frank said:

More complicated situations arise however that I am unaware of there being an answer for.

For example:

There is an encounter at Independence Square where a creepy man is walking off with a child. You hvae two options: confront or don't confront. If you confront the man turns into a monster and you fight. If you fight and win, you get a reward. If you don't, then the child is later found murdered. So if the place is sealed or Kate is at that location, no monster appears. Do you get the reward? Does the child die?

-Frank

Well in that situation, does it actually say that a monster appears? If not, then you still draw the monster to fight (if that is what the card indicates).

#8 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

Here is the card in question:

A well-dressed gentleman approaches a group of children and begins to lead one away…and something tells you that he's up to no good. If you confront him, he transforms, and you are surprised by a monster. If you defeat it, draw 1 Exhibit Item, but you are Barred from Downtown  for assaulting a respected citizen. if you mind your own business, the child is later found dead.

Since a monster surprises you, you actually draw a monster from the cup and fight it.  So if the location is sealed or it is Kate that pulls the encounter, the entire card is ignored.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS