Jump to content



Photo

Dungeon Quest vs Castle Ravenloft


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Karazax

Karazax

    Member

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

 The new Castle Ravenloft game looks really good.  For those who got to try it at Gencon, how does this verson of Dungeon Quest compare?  Can't decide which I want and can't afford both right now.



#2 Poeppel

Poeppel

    Member

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for showing this. It helped me a lot to decide against Ravenloft.



#3 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

    Talisman Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Yep, totally uninspired by Ravenloft. No contest against Dungeonquest, especially when expansions for DQ kick in!

Ell.



#4 DBC

DBC

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Funny!

I feel the exact opposite - Ravenloft looks better and better the more previews we get.

If I were to choose only one, I would get Ravenloft.

But they are two very different games, in the same genre. Dungeon Quest is a competitive game and Ravenloft is co-operative. That's a big difference right from the start! Based on my experience with the Scandinavian versions of Dungeon Quest, I expect the D&D titles to be more expandable and thus longer lasting than Dungeon Quest could ever hope to be. But FFG might prove me wrong...

 



#5 longstreet2763

longstreet2763

    Member

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Yes I am of the same mind as DBC, the more previews that come along the more I moved to Ravenloft. As said however they are different games, and would be pointless to compare them.



#6 longstreet2763

longstreet2763

    Member

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

talismanamsilat said:

Yep, totally uninspired by Ravenloft. No contest against Dungeonquest, especially when expansions for DQ kick in!

Ell.

 

I am entrigued by this though, I havent heard any of plans for the expansions, please share any details you have :)

 

Thanks



#7 Mindseye

Mindseye

    Member

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

I played both at GenCon. Purchased Dungeonquest and really enjoyed it.

Ravenloft really compares to WarHammer Quest, a game I really like. The rules could be tighter in places, and I like the components in Dungeonquest better. I'm still deciding about Ravenloft.



#8 BillStivers

BillStivers

    Member

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

I played both at Gen Con.  Loved them both.  They are different games that should be bought for different experiances. 

First I demoed then bought Dungeon Quest played it 3 times at GenCon.   Only one character got out alive with the Dragon Treasure, but to be fair it took 3 games to get the combat right in the game.  DANGER around every corner.  My faviorte room is an empty room.   You can't go wrong with this one and can be played in 45 min to an 90 min.  Also be prepared to have Char die on first turn.....

2nd I demoed Ravenloft with a group of people that I did not know, but they were awesome to play with.  The game is not like Dungeon quest at all, but was good and more like Decent with out a GM.

Hope my little thoughts help.

 

Play! Play! Play!



#9 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

BillStivers said:

First I demoed then bought Dungeon Quest played it 3 times at GenCon.   Only one character got out alive with the Dragon Treasure, but to be fair it took 3 games to get the combat right in the game.  DANGER around every corner.  My faviorte room is an empty room.   You can't go wrong with this one and can be played in 45 min to an 90 min.  Also be prepared to have Char die on first turn.....

That's what I want to hear!  My favourite aspect of the older DQ editions was the inherent risk of brutal death at every turn.  If the newer edition didn't have that kind of difficulty I would have been sorely disappointed.



#10 Frog

Frog

    Member

  • Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:25 AM

Personally, I think Ravenloft looks much better than both Descent and Dungeonquest.  It looks like the new Warhammer Quest!



#11 TheDukester

TheDukester

    Member

  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Karazax said:

The new Castle Ravenloft game looks really good.  For those who got to try it at Gencon, how does this verson of Dungeon Quest compare?  Can't decide which I want and can't afford both right now.

Very different games sharing a well-known theme. The co-op versus ultra-competitive thing is the most obvious difference, as already stated here.

I'll be getting both, but I expect them to be different experiences.



#12 air show

air show

    Member

  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Steve-O said:

BillStivers said:

 

First I demoed then bought Dungeon Quest played it 3 times at GenCon.   Only one character got out alive with the Dragon Treasure, but to be fair it took 3 games to get the combat right in the game.  DANGER around every corner.  My faviorte room is an empty room.   You can't go wrong with this one and can be played in 45 min to an 90 min.  Also be prepared to have Char die on first turn.....

 

 

That's what I want to hear!  My favourite aspect of the older DQ editions was the inherent risk of brutal death at every turn.  If the newer edition didn't have that kind of difficulty I would have been sorely disappointed.

right,right,right!

I agree 120%.



#13 Karazax

Karazax

    Member

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

 For those interested, Wizards posted the Castle Ravenloft rules.



#14 jgt7771

jgt7771

    Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

  • Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

I was looking for another solo game to try (besides Arkham Horror).  One that might not require as much time or space investment as AH, as well as one that might be worth introducing to my current cult of co-op crazies.

DungeonQuest is not that game.  It's isn't co-op; it's indirectly competitive (competitive solitaire), so that'll never sell to my cult.  But I could still play alone...if I don't mind dying all the time.  Even if I take out the death, I'm still looking at heaps of misfortune with little chance of strategizing my way out of it.  Once the delight of "new game" wears off, which could be as quickly as a few games, I'm either stuck waiting for an expansion, or stuck with dead weight in my closet.  I'm not saying I wouldn't play DQ.  I'm not even saying I wouldn't enjoy DQ.  But if I play it, I'm playing someone else's copy of it with their group; I'm not buying DQ myself.

Ravenloft is co-op, and optionally solo.  Everything I have researched indicates that it is practically Descent without needing to put someone out as a DM.  It's quicker and a bit more compact than Arkham.  Wizards seems to like the system enough to already plan an expansion (maybe it's more like a sequel or a facelift), which bodes well for future add-ons.  I only need to test it to see if it's satisfying to me personally, and I believe I'm willing to pay for that test.  After that, it will come down to whether or not the theme and presentation can beat Lovecraft in the eyes of my cultists.


What was that noise?

#15 Karazax

Karazax

    Member

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

Wizards released some free scenarios for Castle Ravenloft this week here.  Unfortunately the release date was pushed back to the 31st.  You can combine Wrath of Ashardalon for more heroes and monsters or play either game seperately.  It does look like both dungeon quest and these new D&D games could be worth adding to the collection for similar themes but completely different game play.



#16 Thass

Thass

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

I agree 2 different game experiences, both worthy of my hard earned dollars.



#17 larienna

larienna

    Member

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

Personnally, I prefer dungeon quest because I can play out of the box with almost anybody. While for the other game, I need to play with players that has some RPG experience for the level of rule complexity.

Second, dungeon quest will probably be shorter, so more likely to get played.



#18 Karazax

Karazax

    Member

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

I don't know about that, Castle Ravenloft's rules are pretty simplified compared to regular D&D, no experience there would be necessary at all.  The play time is rated at one hour or less, which is pretty short for a game of this type.



#19 meggypeggs

meggypeggs

    Member

  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Well I have done enough OT last month to buy a few games quite soon (as there have been a few I have my eye on...DQ, Ravenloft, All things Zombie, 7 Wonders) so I will buy both in this case.

I like competitive games and coop so all is good.

Although I am a bit disappointed with FFG updates lately...after a dozen days after Gencon they seemed to have all gone sleep. We have had probally 3 news breaks!

The company still running?



#20 Foligatto

Foligatto

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

meggypeggs said:

Although I am a bit disappointed with FFG updates lately...after a dozen days after Gencon they seemed to have all gone sleep. We have had probally 3 news breaks!

The company still running?

My thoughts exactly. What's happening?!

DungeonQuest is already shipping in certain countries in Europe and FFG says nothing about this? Where is the official update that the game is actually in stock and shipping?






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS