Photo

You lucky Gen Con goers...tell us what's what.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

So how was this game?

Any good?

#2 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:33 PM

Too busy playing I guess..a post over on BGG indicates the painted figs for this game are being sold there for $50! Not bad.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#3 The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Old Dwarf said:

Too busy playing I guess..a post over on BGG indicates the painted figs for this game are being sold there for $50! Not bad.

OD

And there is a pre-painted promo. Hope FFG gives us an shot at getting the promo.

#4 LinkN

LinkN

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

I've picked up a copy of the game for myself.  Only played once, though, but my thoughts:

First, the bad.  The characters are not very diverse, at all.  Every character (except for the guards and the two special NPCs) have 2 strength, 4 speed, and 4 mind.  The only difference between the characters is their special ability.  Granted, these can be pretty diverse, but I think there's a lot of wasted potential here.  Still, I've already come up with some house rules to shift things around a bit, which I'll be tossing up in another thread.

Also, there's a lot of duplicates between the arcana cards.  This one isn't as bad, since you still don't see very many cards in a turn, but it may turn some people off.

Despite the complaints, the game is fun.  Even though the characters are similar, the way the game is set up, especially when you add alternate scenarios, should keep the game from feeling the same every play.  The game is also simple and short - this may be a turn-off for some, but it means it can hit the table often, even if not everyone there is a heavy gamer.  The minis are all detailed (although some are a bit odd for "thieves", like the guy with a massive wide-brimmed hat, or the guy with a sword nearly as tall as he is), although the bases they're supposed to fit in don't always stay attached very well.

Overall, I recommend it.  It's not as heavy of a strategy game as some, but it's great for a quick diversion.

#5 The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

LinkN said:

I've picked up a copy of the game for myself.  Only played once, though, but my thoughts:

First, the bad.  The characters are not very diverse, at all.  Every character (except for the guards and the two special NPCs) have 2 strength, 4 speed, and 4 mind.  The only difference between the characters is their special ability.  Granted, these can be pretty diverse, but I think there's a lot of wasted potential here.  Still, I've already come up with some house rules to shift things around a bit, which I'll be tossing up in another thread.

I was afraid of this, I even posted a thread with this concern. The only thing that seems to give the characters some variation are the special abilities. I think they would have been better off creating different stats with characters with some sort of "light" point system for use of potential expansions.

If they plan a expansion I don't think it is too late to release updated cards with different stats and some sort of point system. Or require more action tokens to activate attacks or movement for characters with higher stats.

Example a character with a combat value of 2 would need 1 action token to attack.

A character with a combat value of 4 would need 3 action tokens.

Place a little number indicating the number of tokens required to activate an action.

#6 LinkN

LinkN

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

Well, the main reason the "no differences" is disappointing is because there's room for something that's just not there.  The rulebook says you roll dice equal to your strength in combat, you move squares equal to your speed, and you need to roll your mind value or less to open a chest.  If the rulebook instead said that you roll 2 dice in combat, that you move 4 squares, and you need to roll a 4 or less for chests, and removed the stats from characters, we likely wouldn't have known the difference.

Regardless, despite the missing potential, the game works as-is.  Yes, the characters are mostly the same, but they still have unique abilities that makes them more suited to different tasks (generally, each team has one character that gets a bonus when fighting, one character that "steals" stuff when he wins a fight, one character that has special bonuses to movement, and one "wild card" character).  Alternatively, I'm thinking up houserules for the game, to give each character different stats; I'll post that later today.

Personally, my guess is that if the game does well (and it did sell out at GenCon, so that at least is a plus), there will be an expansion with more varied characters.  Hopefully if that happens, they decide to release updated cards for the existing characters so the original teams don't feel "left out".

#7 GrumpyBatman

GrumpyBatman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

There is definitely a lot of potential for expansion here for Cadwallon. I hope with several plays under the belt, others will come to the same conclusion that I have which is the same stats for characters is no big deal. It keeps the game simple and quick without turning it into a miniatures skirmish game. There is still a ton of planning to be done every turn without trying to incorporate different stats into each move. I am very happy with my purchase. I just hope everyone gives it a fair shake as I think the stat complaint is not a big deal.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS