Photo

Should there be a "Game Reference Document" for WFRP3?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Other game systems have released a "system reference document" for their basic rules.  Good examples include Pathfinder, D&D, FATE, BRP, etc. 

The advantages of this are multifold:

1. The rules are "living" with integrated faq
  2. They can easily be obtained and identified by a new player or potential player
  3. The producer can focus on supplements, scenarios, mini's and dice
  4. The players/fans can rapidly spread the word about a system and work with it to grow interest

Drawbacks?

jh

#2 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

I concur!

Gitzman

#3 Kryyst

Kryyst

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

SRD's are over rated when the system is proprietary to a licensed setting and in this case plenty of specialty mechanics.  The rulebook is already there in PDF for someone that doesn't want to put in the full investment.  I'm all for more is good.  But realistically what would you hope to gain by having an SRD out for this game that you can't already do with existing material. 

All your points are already addressed.  The only difference is $10 for the pdf instead of free.

#4 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

I totaly disagree :-) SRD's are NOT a way for users to get free access, and they should not be … See the good thing about an SRD is that it makes i verry clear what parts of the system may be used by others in there own products… If a publisher don't make a SRD explaining the parts of the game that may be refferenced how can you know? … The only way will be to take your chaces and risk having to cal your release back :-/

In some cases (Like d&d 3.5) the publisher publish almost the hole system for refference, giving players access to everything they need and only limit extensions etc. … A GOOD way to get people (with money) to buy all the extra's instead of having to spend tones of money on the basic rules … This is good marketing when you have a new version of the system… (Give up the old one and focus on selling the new system, and extensions to the old one ) …

In other cases (like dnd 4th) the publisher only publish the verry basic features (Like names of skills etc.) this help people use and publish there scenarios stories npc's etc… But limit the descriptions to paying customers only … Good marketing when you release a new system: Let people help you extend knoledge of the system, but make sure people has to pay for the descriptions …

But when a publisher don't release any SRD? Well then it's eighter because he don't want anyone to use the system ( Why i ask? ) or else it's because ?? Well acturaly i can't se any reason not to publich a basic SRD  …

By the way: Do anyone know where to find FFG SRD's / Game Ref Docs ??? I'm mostly interested in "Dark Heresy" but other systems also has interest…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS