HallowKnights Review.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:39 AM

I know most of you are eagerly awaiting my review of the new updated version (is my head big enough?).  I held off a bit, because I wanted to get some games in that involved all the characters at least once.

In no particular order.

Verry happy about the changes to the character.

good change, or good that it was left alone.

Character Stayed the same, indifferent to change, or gained a power/lost a power

Disapointing change, or something that was missed, or error.

Not happy at all about this characters alteration. Totaly missed something, character too powerfull/weak

GHOUL: The wording of the cards is a bit different but basicly the same character. Character itself is a good character that really did not need any changes, improvements, or down grades.

TROLL: Troll got some extra abilites. Even though he is fairly powerfull with his strength, his lack of any other abilites made him kinda boring to play.  The Regenerate makes a nice natural edition to him.  And whats this? 6 life? boy he is going to be tough to knock down.  If your on the crown trying to take down the troll, you had better be prepaired to battle, cuz he is comming for ya!

ASSASSIN: Original did not allow you to assassinate the fiends or were wolf, but you could use it in the crown of command when you first entered.  Now it no longer has the restriction of the wolf and fiends, but you cant use it in the crown at all.  I personaly liked the idea of at least assassinating on your first entery of the crown space, if antoher character was there.

MINSTREL: Now can have multiple animal followers, although still only use one.  This takes some of the pressure off of waiting for that +3 bear to come along.  He originaly could not be affected by the Hag, but that was to protect is one shot animal.  Being able to charm again was a fine enough reason to remove the Hag power.  Over all I think the benifits out weigh the loss of Hag ability

SORCERESS:  The wording changed a bit, but with the rule book it is now more clear as to what she can do to another character.  Its seemed a bit fuzzy in the FFG edition.  At first glance it seems she can do alot of damge, like take a follower, begule them, and then attack because the card does not say "instead of attacking you may attempt to beguile"  HOWEVER, with the rule book Pg9 "The Character whos turn it is may either attack or use ONE of her special abilities on the other character"  So you are limited to only one of the following against another character. ATTACK, BEGUILE, or TAKE FOLLOWER.  With the clarification, and Fate, this was a improvement on her

PROPHETESS:  Even though we played the hose rule of the 4.0 version, the fact she was officialy on the card corrected makes this a much needed adjustemnt to her wording.  Still a powerfull character.

WARRIOR: Lost a Craft, Gained a Life.  No longer has the restriction of the type of weapons to duel wield, or the shield restriction. (unless somewhere in the rules it alters this).  Deffinantly improved.  Almost too much.

#2 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:13 AM

Characters Continued.....

Verry happy about the changes to the character.

good change, or good that it was left alone.

Character Stayed the same, indifferent to change, or gained a power/lost a power

Disapointing change, or something that was missed, or error.

Not happy at all about this characters alteration. Totaly missed something, character too powerfull/weak

DWARF: The Same powers, just now the correct wording. Very nice. 5 life, and 5 Fate?  Even got a bit of a boost.

THIEF: As with the sorcerss it is clear that he can STEAL or ATTACK.  Not Both.  Whats this? just pick a card from the Purchase Deck? and I dont have to wait for the market/market day cards either.  This gives the Thief verry easy access to the middle region.  After all he no longer rolls for what he steals, so he can select the raft each time should he choose.  Catch me if you can!

ELF: Character is unchanged, and did not need to be at all.  Very good character

MONK:  They toned down this character.  Effectivley he always gets a +3 bonus to his score in battle. Thats it. Although it weakened him, it was nessissary, as adding every point of craft, from objects, follwers, etc, made him too powerfull indeed from the 4.0 edition. but wait, I may have to change that smiley.  He is almost too weakend.  Before he could not use a sword or axe. Lance was ok.  Now its been reworded to include all weapons and all armour.  This does not sound very different now, but wait for further expansion when more and more types of weapons and armour will probably come into play.  He wont be able to use them either!

PRIEST: Wow, a character that was a total bottom of the barrel!  Now he has the choice of a fight and taking the trophy, or gaining a spell.  Makes him a much better character.   Like the monk, its now No WEAPONS at all. and check this out.  If he is Evil, he can use his adjusting the pray ability, becasue now the graveyard says pray instead of invoke!

Wizard: No changes and Basic abilites.  Starts with two spells, but once one is cast, his powers do not stand out from a lot of other characters with same abilites.  I really would have liked to have seen him gain something else to make the character more "unique"

DRUID:  A character that orininal was standing on the priest at the bottom of the barrel now takes a leap forward.  Giving him the Druidic power of a way to gain spells in a creative way like the priest.  This should at least get him more involved in the game, as he will be hammering out spells much more often.

Well thats it.  I will continue my reviews of other aspects like cards, the board, spells, expansions.  Depending on the reaction from these reviews!  Thanks for your time!

HALLOWS CONTEST NUMBER FIVE:  Reward 1000 points, for the answer I am looking for, or 200 points for one that works.  -300 for a dorky answer used just to get points! and (400 points for RETT, if he actually read this far in the post!)

What do the WIZARD; MONK; ELF; THIEF; PROPHETESS all have in common? (look at the character cards)

need a Example conteset question? WHAT DO  the DWARF, DRUID, WIZARD, have in common?

Answer: Big flowing Beards.

#3 Zadok13

Zadok13

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:25 AM

Answer:  They all have a Talisman somewhere in their picture.

Great review btw, very interesting to hear someone's perspective on all of the changes

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS