Battlestar Galactica....Game of 2008??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

If you have been lucky enough to play this, of course the game recently just came out, and have had the same experience I have had, then you know how fun this game is!! I have logged in about 7 games with various amounts of players each game, and each time we play it turns into a fun paranoid laugh fest. This game far surpassed the other game similar to it's style of play (Shadows over Camelot).

The paranoia that creeps in, is far more prevelant than than SOC. For this reason alone, this has been my favorite (new) game this year, expansions excluded.

Not meaning to sound like a frackin FFG commercial, but if you like co-op games with a lot of paranoia, this is the one to get!

#2 Dewman

Dewman

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

I have played this game 4 times in the last week. I have yet to win but 4 players and 2 cylons are diffcult to beat. But each time was fantastic. It starts out very cooperative then after the sleeper phase it can get very cut throat. Great feel of the show. It definetly has replayability.

#3 HGBlob

HGBlob

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

I got my copy yesterday.  Hope to be able to play this weekend.  I can't wait.

#4 IndyGamer

IndyGamer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:29 PM

I just got my copy this week, and I've been anxiously waiting for the weekend to break this open.  My wife is a big fan of the show, and I tried a demo of it at GenCon.  She's as eager as I am to start playing - even better will be if she gets to be a Cylon!

#5 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

We just finished up another session of this and after about 8 games or so total, I have yet to be the Cylon. I'm having a blast being human, but I can't wait till I finally turn to the dark side. Despite this, it's still fun as I am always being accused of being a frackin cylon. Of all the game sin my library, this one seems to have the greatest interaction. It's definitely a blast.

#6 geki

geki

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

I played twice in Essen, still don't own it. To me and my gf, it's surely the Game of the Year

#7 mikelosaurus

mikelosaurus

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

Easily game of the year. Possibly the best game I've ever played... ;)

#8 hahnarama

hahnarama

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

Royaldoy said:

If you have been lucky enough to play this, of course the game recently just came out, and have had the same experience I have had, then you know how fun this game is!! I have logged in about 7 games with various amounts of players each game, and each time we play it turns into a fun paranoid laugh fest. This game far surpassed the other game similar to it's style of play (Shadows over Camelot).

The paranoia that creeps in, is far more prevelant than than SOC. For this reason alone, this has been my favorite (new) game this year, expansions excluded.

Not meaning to sound like a frackin FFG commercial, but if you like co-op games with a lot of paranoia, this is the one to get!

While I agree this is one of the best new games I have played all year, I don't think it's the GotY. Let me explain those treasonous words. The game's initial appeal was to fans of the show.  We were the ones who were so pumped about it. (Not sure about how you got your copy but I stood in line for over an hour at GenCon to get mine.) I have had hard core gamers who do not watch the show play it. Their post game response was “It was OK but I just don’t get it”.

IMO it’s a great game that is aimed at a niche market.

#9 hahnarama

hahnarama

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:14 AM

OK for some reason you are not able to cut and paste from Word into the forums, another BUG.

But trust me my reply to the first post was a brilliantly written reply.

#10 Omnisiah

Omnisiah

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Best game since Arkham Horror, easily the best game of 2008.

This is an instant classic and (thankfully) is a beautiful port of the BSG universe. Unforetunatly, I've personally found that the other two major imported franchises (Starcraft and World of Warcraft) have resulted in games that have been needlessly complex in order to meet the requirements of the license (eg. the drone tokens from SC and the combat counter system from WoW). With BSG there is none of this; the game is a rich and tightly designed product regardless of its branding.

The visuals and the miniatures are perfect and present a new standard for a standalone box from FFG. Absolutely awesome gameplay, will be playing this one for years.

9.5/10

#11 Scalpel

Scalpel

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

Had our first game last Friday, 3 mates and myself from 9pm to 1:30am !!

Obvioulsy lots of beers and good times by all.  Not only that but it could not have been a closer game!

On the last Crisis card we pulled it had a jump icon on it, so just  needed to live through the criss and Raider phase to auto-jump and win the game!

However we had to live through the Raider phase, and by then there were a ton on the board. We had 6 Vypers protecting the Civy ships, but they ate through them all and took out exactly the 3 Population to win!

Awsome and great fun. 10/10 game!

#12 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:26 AM

Most of the games we have played have come down to the wire. That alone gives each side the hopes of pulling out a victory from the ashes of bleakness. It's fun to play a game and win with what seems like an impossible endeavor. We (humans) managed to win a game from inside the brig. Three human players stuck in the brig. It was hilarious. Adama (cylon) had free reign on the ship and was running around creating havoc while we huddled in the brig like scared *******.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS