• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rainbringer

rainbringer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

I've a small question about the GUO after his upgrade: when he's summoned to a zone with 10-11 corruption tokens and he brings 2 corruption tokens with him, is this zone ruined immediately, or just in the ruination phase?

#2 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

Ruination is only checked for in the corruption phase, after all new corruption has been placed normally.

So no, it is not immediately ruined.

#3 valhallan42nd

valhallan42nd

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Though you will at least get the victory points for being a ruiner that turn, and it may shift the balance for 1st/2nd ruiner.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

valhallan42nd said:

Though you will at least get the victory points for being a ruiner that turn, and it may shift the balance for 1st/2nd ruiner.

Actually, if you only place corruption with the GUO on the turn the region is ruined, you don't get the Ruiner points (though might get 1st or 2nd place points). You score "ruiner this turn" points only if you place corruption in the corruption phase and GUO's corruption is placed in the summoning step. Unless rules/faq have changed things, haven't really kept up with this game after finally giving up on liking it.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 rainbringer

rainbringer

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

O.K., thanks!

Dam said:

... finally giving up on liking it. 

why?

And why do you still read its forum? :)

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

rainbringer said:

why?

And why do you still read its forum? :)

Not enough conflict for my taste. Only Khorne gets ticks (and even he only gets ticks, no VPs) from combat, so no point in summoning Warriors/Greater Daemons, since those are PPs that you could spend on Cultists and Chaos cards.

As to why I browse, I took the time to learn the rules (like I did for Age of Conan, which I never did get around to buying), so I still know the rules okay enough to answer questions, should I be around when someone posts (or correct an incorrect answer). Same deal with Fury of Dracula as well. Unlike with games I do like, I don't really brush up on the rules for CitOW and FoD anymore, so deeper thought requiring questions I'll give a pass to, but stuff you can find the rulebook (esp. when backed with a quote), those I can manage.

#7 Mugio

Mugio

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Dam said:

Not enough conflict for my taste. Only Khorne gets ticks (and even he only gets ticks, no VPs) from combat, so no point in summoning Warriors/Greater Daemons, since those are PPs that you could spend on Cultists and Chaos cards.

Even though this is a bit off topic I thought I comment on Dam's comments about not enough conflict in the game.  Of course it is all up to personal preferance however I have found that combat between gods other than Khorne is quite important.  Early in the game you will not see much, everyone wants to get their cultists on the board with 3 or so in each of two regions to try and get their spins. 

However in mid game, once your cultists are summoned and a region is about to be ruined then daemons come into play.  Daemons allow you help control who gets first and second in a region and if someone is far ahead a team effort can wipe them out denying them everything.

I will agree that the order of things is usually Cultist > Cards > Warriors > Greater Daemon but once you have some cultists in a region and the card slots are filled you pile in the daemons to determine the final order of things.

#8 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Actually haven't seen many cases where a single or two Daemons would've swung things with regard to 1st and 2nd place Ruiners (talking non-Khorne Daemons, 2PP for 1 die). Most often one God will have 8+ tokens, someone will have their 3-4, after that doesn't matter. Divisions between 1st and 2nd are clear, so you'd have to get a ton of explosions to delay the Ruining for a single turn and even then the order of ruiners wouldn't change, since Daemon contribute squat for corruption (Nurgle has a card that he can use to eliminate figures for corruption though).

Slaanesh tends to be Khorne's first priority. Slanny must be kept from getting his Cultist Upgrade as long as possible. But at the same time, the other Gods want to make sure they are doing enough running to keep Khorne from double-ticking on turns 1-2. If they do that (especially if it's 0 ticks on turn 1, 1 tick on turn 2, 0 ticks both turns would be the optimal from the other Gods' POV), Khorne's chances of a dial win are pretty much over. Nurgle can only win via VPs, so for him dial ticks are secondary (though he does want Provender of Ruin ASAP) and since he going for VPs anyways, once the Cultists are out there, he can Daemon/Greater to bolster his domination. Tzeentch just stakes a corner and holds it, usually ruining his first region on turn 2, if not on his own, then because someone jumped in to add the extra corruption tokens (and to get ruiner this turn and 2nd place points). Tzeentch has the most Cultists and has very useful Chaos cards, not to mention the ability to toss away his crap at the start of each turn.

#9 Mugio

Mugio

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

From reading your posts Dam it seems that your group and mine are playing the game a bit differently, leading to some different experiences.  We usually see Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch spreading out on the first turns trying to get 2 spins while trying to stop the other gods from getting a second dial token.  The conflict usually starts early and it is very common for one god to have say 6 tokens in a region and another god have 4 on turn 2.  Now the region is close to popping and more cultists are summoned in along with cards and daemons to try and give the second place person a chance at number one often with Khorne (you think he'd miss out on the party?) getting to decide who gets points by which cultists he kills.

Our players (not just Khorne) seem to be aggressive in going after multiple dial advancements each turn which means they spread out and thus are fragile in each region allowing warriors to have a greater impact on the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS