Photo

Characters from the Others running with the Deathwatch.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DrgnScorpion

DrgnScorpion

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

So, myself being an entertaining gm when it comes to ideas had this one question: What do you guys think the starting Rank for DH Acolytes and RT Characters is going to be in relation to Deathwatch.

My guess is this: DH - Rank 7

RT - Rank 7

Pretty much the reaso for the RT is because they already start at Rank 5 Base for DH. So, I'm thinking it will be fun to see what all comes out of it and i'm open to everybodies ideas.

#2 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

DrgnScorpion said:

So, myself being an entertaining gm when it comes to ideas had this one question: What do you guys think the starting Rank for DH Acolytes and RT Characters is going to be in relation to Deathwatch.

My guess is this: DH - Rank 7

RT - Rank 7

Pretty much the reaso for the RT is because they already start at Rank 5 Base for DH. So, I'm thinking it will be fun to see what all comes out of it and i'm open to everybodies ideas.

I think it's already been mentioned that Deathwatch characters sit on roughly equal terms with Ascension characters, so Rank 9 Dark Heresy and Rank 4 Rogue Trader (13,000 experience or so) seems about right.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#3 carrotcolossus

carrotcolossus

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

I reckon it is a bitter different from that because a Marine is qualitatively better than a Explorer or Acolyte. For a start, Marines have about double wounds, Unnatural Strength and Toughness, better gear (Astarte boltguns will mince an Explorer in one shot nearly) and power armour. That alone means that a single Marine is more than a match for a couple of Rank 5 Explorers. An Acolyte or Explorer will only get a max of around 20 wounds over the course of a career and only the very few will get Unnatural Strength or Toughness. A rank 5 Explorer will certainly have more skills but when it comes down to combat (which is where a Deathwatch Marine will always reign), a rank 1 Marine will outclass almost anything.

Having said that, there is real scope for a Kill-squad being supported by higher level Explorers (atleast Rank 5) and Acolytes (Rank 8) and Throne Agents, especially for less combat orientated missions.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS