Photo

Elberon turns on the lights, dusts off the welcome mat and makes sure its toasty warm

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Elberon

Elberon

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi all and welcome to our new home.....

#2 wwscrispin

wwscrispin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:09 AM

Definitely an upgrade.

#3 Virgilius

Virgilius

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

Very much looking forward to the upcoming plans for 2009.

#4 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:35 AM

While I am a fan of the BattleLore system, I am hoping that future expansions will lean towards the fantastical side of things. I'm not a fan of historical events from foreign countries and while I'm sure this puts me in the minority, I hope to see more trolls than the French with pointy weapons.

#5 Paxe

Paxe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

I am looking forwrad to new Battlelore stuff!

#6 Glamdryn

Glamdryn

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

Undead poultry and other ridiculously fantastic units is what I'm looking for!  Goooo Battlelore woot!

-Glam

#7 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

After we just get comfortable at the old place....

Looks like this still has some bugs and we will need to transfer over the data from the old forums...

Where should we start?

#8 reapersaurus

reapersaurus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

Royaldoy said:

While I am a fan of the BattleLore system, I am hoping that future expansions will lean towards the fantastical side of things. I'm not a fan of historical events from foreign countries and while I'm sure this puts me in the minority, I hope to see more trolls than the French with pointy weapons.

Seconded!!!

I, for one, welcome our heroic fantasy overlords.

#9 Germ

Germ

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

ColtsFan76 said:

After we just get comfortable at the old place....

Looks like this still has some bugs and we will need to transfer over the data from the old forums...

Where should we start?

We should start a new FF/HR/RR thread

#10 mogwai

mogwai

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

I'm for more fantasy-themed stuff either - just please keep it light. This is what makes Battlelore unique - there's enough historical and/or dark/wild fantasy material out there, making Battlelore "one more" of them doesn't sound too interesting

#11 cobame

cobame

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:01 AM

I also vote for more fantasy elements!!!!

#12 geki

geki

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

fantasy is good, but I liked also 100 years war expansion. I've been posting on FFG forums a lot before they bought BL, but now everything is simpler :-) Let heroes come

#13 toddrew

toddrew

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

Plenty of room in this game for fantasy and historical elements.  I hope that FFG continues the mix akin to what DoW was doing.  I thought they mixed the elements well.

As to the temperment of the fantasy elements, also put me in the camp of continuing the flavor of what has been released so far.  Interesting mechanics that lead to interesting play.

#14 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

toddrew said:

Plenty of room in this game for fantasy and historical elements.  I hope that FFG continues the mix akin to what DoW was doing.  I thought they mixed the elements well.

As to the temperment of the fantasy elements, also put me in the camp of continuing the flavor of what has been released so far.  Interesting mechanics that lead to interesting play.

Ditto.  i would liket o see both.  The only thing I amnot overly fond of is the mixing of the two as in Scottish wars.  But I guess it helps make BL unique.

I wouldlike to see the fantasy continue along the path it already has - a bit offtrack and whimsical.  But I also think this means a whimsical treatment of elves, and dragons, and other "standard" fantasy elements.

#15 toddrew

toddrew

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Coltsfan said:

The only thing I am not overly fond of is the mixing of the two as in Scottish wars. 

See, I thought Scottish Wars was an excellent blend of both elements in the game, both in execution and value.  Doubling the giant-pencil wielding dwarves as both the fantasy Dwarven Spear Bearers and historical Scottish Schiltrons made great sense to me.  However, I can certainly understand how this gives a conceptual pause, or worse, an immovable obstacle, to many players.

Coltsfan said

I wouldlike to see the fantasy continue along the path it already has - a bit offtrack and whimsical.  But I also think this means a whimsical treatment of elves, and dragons, and other "standard" fantasy elements.

Yup, exactly.  Can't wait for C&C:A evade tactics to be worked into the Elvish units :D

#16 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

toddrew said:

Coltsfan said:

The only thing I am not overly fond of is the mixing of the two as in Scottish wars. 

See, I thought Scottish Wars was an excellent blend of both elements in the game, both in execution and value.  Doubling the giant-pencil wielding dwarves as both the fantasy Dwarven Spear Bearers and historical Scottish Schiltrons made great sense to me.  However, I can certainly understand how this gives a conceptual pause, or worse, an immovable obstacle, to many players.

Yes, it gave me pause.  But I think overall, i like it.  I like the concept that the Goblins represent the Saracen influences while the Dwarves are Scots.  I am curious to see how other nations of the period are represented.

What I was more concerned with is that Scottish Wars might give hope to those who want a medieval only and instead have something inseperable from the fantasy element.

#17 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:26 AM

I bought in to BL because the idea of an Alternative Europe during the 100 years war period was a great concept.

I prefer a good dab of "realism"in my Fantasy but I can live with most of the current fig.range.What I'm

really waiting to see are the other races representing the other European nations of the period & a

real Campaign System.DoW couldn't bring it off I hope FFG can.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#18 CasualPlayer

CasualPlayer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:34 AM

I am hoping that all nations are human (even Scotland) and the other races live in remote areas of those nations. Deep forests, highlands, marches, deserts and so forth. It would be a bit strange to have only England and France as humans, don't you think.

#19 Elberon

Elberon

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi there,

With my home brew bits and bobs I put humans as the single largest race but fractured and the other races as smaller but more unified.  Humans are in England, France and the Holy Roman Empire (aka Italy). 

A few examples of where races are, Germany is a mixture of Elves and Drown (the Black Forest is still very, very big), the lowlands of the BeNeLux region is home to the Centaurs, Lizard men from Spain, Polar bears around Northern Russia and Halflings around Scandinavia (yes they prefer good food but can live off nearly anything), Undead in Lithuainia.  Each of the races have reasons why they excel in the regions they are in and why it would be difficult for anyone else to drive them / kill off (except perhaps the ultimate generalists, humans but they're too fractured).

At any rate in the official world the Golbins representing the Arabic tribes (geographically speaking) means they cover a huge area from South Spain along the Mediaterrian and most of the land up to the dead sea only really stopping at Istanbul (or is Constanopia) so I would say theyare a fringe race, just unlikely to invade Scotland any time soon .

As to the future I like the current blend of historical and fantastical but there will come a time when everything historic has ben run through (how many people want cannons or hand cannoniers in the game for example) then the fantasy element will have to take the line forward and will be the big test for the game.  I just hope they keep it fantasy with a twist .

Chris

#20 Orc Breath

Orc Breath

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

mogwai said:

I'm for more fantasy-themed stuff either - just please keep it light. This is what makes Battlelore unique - there's enough historical and/or dark/wild fantasy material out there, making Battlelore "one more" of them doesn't sound too interesting

I agree 100%, keep it light and with the artwork we have as much as possible.

And release the races (armies) complete in one box set. I'd rather pay more now, than have them dribble out in 3-4 sub-sets taking over a year to complete.
I believe it gives a more dramatic release to stur up support for BL as well.

And bring on the '''Heroes''' so we can get on with the next army release,, yeah !!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS