Final Sanction: Reference Materials, Location Markers, Equipment Cards

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sithlet

Sithlet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

I made a bunch of material that I thought others might find somewhat useful for running Final Sanction. I put it all in a .zip at MediaFire currently at www.mediafire.com/file/wywowmmcmnz/FinalSanctionKit.zip (27.59 Mb).

Equipment Cards - There are equipment cards designed to be printed on 8.5" x 11" paper/cardstock, cut-out, and folded in half. The front of the cards contain the name of the item, damage, penetration, range, ammo capacity, rate of fire, etc. If there was extra room, there is flavor text at the bottom -- either something I found online or just made up that is semi-applicable to the item. The back of the card is the Deathwatch chapter logo (somewhat low resolution -- couldn't a better quality one online). There's also a blank copy in case you want to make your own.

There are 11 sheets containing 44 cards. Printing out every card will get you:

• 6x Mark VII Power Armor
  • 6x Combat Knife
  • 6x Frag Grenade
  • 6x Krak Grenade
  • 6x Bolt Pistols
  • 4x Bolters
  • 4x Kraken Rounds
  • 1x Power Fist
  • 1x Jump Pack
  • 1x Chainsword
  • 1x Narthecium (Created by me, not official, just had an extra slot)
  • 1x Sacris Claymore
  • 1x Heavy Bolter

This should be enough to equip all 6 Marines in Final Sanction (the 4 in the adventure + 2 downloadables). There may be a few extra cards (I think 1 combat knife, 1 bolter, 1 kraken round), but this should help minimize the amount of printing you need to do.

Location Cards - I ended up running my game on mostly a strategic map until the final encounters, so I just dropped the location "hotspots" on a piece of posterboard with two of the edges cut-out in a coastal shape. The cards are designed to basically replicate an Arkham Horror-style map. There's a hotspot for each location singled out in the adventure that I saw. Again, I printed them on 8.5" x 11" cardstock and cut them out.

Player Reference Sheet - Neither I nor my players had played Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader, so a reference sheet was really needed. I just put most of the important things I could think of on this two-sided sheet.

Enemy Reference Sheet - I also hate writing down/erasing/etc when GMing games, so I made this print-out to put into a page protector and just use dry-erase markers on. The Genestealers and Rebel Hordes have a significant number of blocks to track simultaneously, the Rebel Leaders have fewer, and the Generals / Broodlord only have 1. It also contains most of the rules for managing hordes at the bottom of the Rebel NPCs side.

Kalistradi Note - This is just a note I wrote up to hand to the players to kick-off the adventure as the Watch Commander was briefing them, before the adventure officially kicked off. I also made a stamp in the shape of the Inquisition "I" logo to seal it with wax, but that is a little harder to upload.

Not Provided:

• Copies of the character sheets. I had mine in page protectors, and players used dry-erase markers on them to track wounds, fate points, etc.
  • Posterboard "map" of Lordsholm - I cut two edges of the border in the shape of a coastal region, and then used Woodland Scencics Water Effects to make canals to divide the districts. I placed the district "street" markers down, and then the Chapel, PDF Base, Thorsholt Manner, and House of Echoes down as starting locations I assumed the Kill-Team knew about from their "briefing" of the planet. As they learned the locations of others, I just dropped the items down on the map to show their location (i.e., when Syndalla informs them about the Imperial Stores, place the Imperial Stores marker).

Hopefully these are useful to someone other people interested in running the game. We had quite a bit of fun playing through it last night. It is a bit long (we took 4 hours, and my players skipped the Calistradi District entirely and many of the locations that had tertiary objectives), but still a lot of fun. As a note, I liked focusing on the non-combat encounters with Syndalla, the Lord-Governor, and Elsharna, so the strategic-level map worked well for us. A group that thrives more on tactical positioning in combat might not find these materials as useful or may want to swap to a tactical grid for combat. We did end up breaking out some Space Hulk tiles for the final exploration of the Broodlord's lair, though, and it worked out well.

#2 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Very nice - good high quality stuff - thanks for sharing!

I'm curious about the posterboard map you used though - I don't suppose you could upoad a photo of it "in action", or give a more in depth description? I'm not familiar with Arkham Horror, so I'm not entirely sure how you used it along with the location "cards"...

Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Beta test) resources:

#3 Sithlet

Sithlet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks. The map isn't anything special, really here's a picture of it (sorry, just took a picture with my phone quickly so you could get the gist of it):

Lordsholm Map

During play, each player had a space marine mini that we moved along to different points. They never split up, though they considered it a few times, so it was nice to have a visual representation of where the squad was. You can see that isn't very detailed no roads, walls, etc. Those things were just narrated as they approached different hotspots.

Here's a link to a picture of the Arkham Horror - Dunwich Horror expansion board, so you can get an idea of what it looks like: www.erzo.org/shannon/images-rpg/dunwichhorror.jpg. I decided against having "roads" connecting the district center to the hotspots because I didn't want the players to feel like they had to follow a pre-set course through the city, but I just wanted to be able to plop down areas quickly so they got an overall picture of the city.

I tried to think of a way to get a city background similar to the Arkham board just to make it look a bit more finished, but I was pressed for time as it was and couldn't think of a good way to do with the time I had.

#4 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Cool - that picture helps a lot.

Really nice work (again), thanks a heap for uploading this stuff.

:)

#5 Armand23

Armand23

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Good looking stuff.  Thanks for posting it.

#6 croaxleigh

croaxleigh

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Very cool. And thanks for showing how you did the map... I've got a single squad of Space Marine minis at the moment that I'd been thinking of using in a very similar way once Deathwatch is released and I can get a group together.

#7 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

Any chance of getting an updated set of equipment cards including the web enhancement characters? Particularly the Sicarus claymore, but also extra copies of the bolter, power armour and kraken round cards on a single sheet to save on printing superflous items? I know I could make them using the blank ones, but they wouldn't look as good as the other cards.

:)

#8 Sithlet

Sithlet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:03 AM

Yep, I'll try to do this tonight. I am running it again tomorrow and will probably have the new Tac Marines as options, so I don't want anyone to feel left out.

I'll try to reorganize the cards a bit so you don't end up printing as much I tried to do that the first time around, but I realized afterwards that I still had to print out some duplicates of sheets to get one or two armors and ended up extras of several cards that I didn't need.

#9 Sithlet

Sithlet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Updated the package. The new link is www.mediafire.com/file/wywowmmcmnz/FinalSanctionKit.zip (27.59 Mb).

The Reference_Sheets_Handouts folder now also contains the picture listed above of what the map looks like, just for anyone interested.

Cards - There are now 11 sheets of cards. Printing out 1 copy of each sheet will give you:

6x Mark VII Power Armor

6x Combat Knife

6x Frag Grenades

6x Krak Grenades

6x Bolt Pistols

4x Bolters

4x Kraken Rounds

1x Power Fist

1x Jump Pack

1x Chainsword

1x Narthecium

1x Sacris Claymore

1x Heavy Bolter

I believe this should be enough to cover the materials with not much wasted (I think there's an extra combat knife, because I noticed afterwards that the Storm Warden's Claymore replaces his combat knife -- also an extra bolter and kraken rounds because I can't do math, apparently). I also added a card for a Narthecium for the Apothecary just because I felt he should have one and could use a boost to his Medicae skill, and I had an extra blank slot on one of the sheets.

#10 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Awesome, thanks a heap man. Gonna use these (and the PDF) to run a game this weekend.

#11 Sithlet

Sithlet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Let me know how your game goes!

#12 Caribou

Caribou

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

These things that you've made? They're spectacular. I'm planning on running Final Sanction with a group of people who've never really played a tabletop roleplaying game before, so it'll be great to have all these references and such to make the whole thing a little less overwhelming. Also, skipping the whole 'character creation' process can't hurt any. I'll let you know how it goes.

Probably well.

My hopes are high.

#13 Salsaprime

Salsaprime

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Great job with this kit, Sithlet. I really want to use miniatures in my game, and I plan to replicate your overview map to show where each player is, should they choose to separate. I also really like the idea of a battlegrid, as it provides another spot where I can use miniatures. Why else would they have specified movement range right?  Plus it adds another dimension so the players can more easily imagine how the battle is playing out. Thanks again for the awesome addition to the game, real top quality stuff, keep it up!

#14 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Sithlet said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Let me know how your game goes!

Unfortunately it was cancelled last weekend, rescheduled for this weekend, and then cancelled again! Argh!

Still, when it does run, between your handouts and Court Jester's map, it will be a thing of beauty.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS