Can anybody tell me about the game?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grim_reaper_zig

grim_reaper_zig

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

I've been looking for a light adventuring game with fantasy and a lot of characters. I also wouldn't mind if the game was about 2-3 hours, cause most of my games are long, like starcraft and wowtbg. I love fighting fantasy creatures and stuff like dragons / demons, and can anybody compare this fantasy "feel" to descents? I haven't had time to look up the rules yet, but i'll try today or tommorow. Thanks!

#2 Zadok13

Zadok13

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

grim_reaper_zig said:

I've been looking for a light adventuring game with fantasy and a lot of characters. I also wouldn't mind if the game was about 2-3 hours, cause most of my games are long, like starcraft and wowtbg. I love fighting fantasy creatures and stuff like dragons / demons, and can anybody compare this fantasy "feel" to descents? I haven't had time to look up the rules yet, but i'll try today or tommorow. Thanks!

The feel is very different from Descent.  Instead of a group of people against one Overlord, this game is every man for him or herself.  It is completely cutthroat and I think pvp centric.  Also its a game about exploration not tactics like Descent.  You don't need to worry about your position on a grid, and so forth.  Instead you draw cards and either awesome things happen to you like getting weapons or gold, or terrible things like losing all your spells or getting beat down by a dragon.  The adventure deck is filled with all sort of things for better and for worse.

The game is very light, takes seconds to set up and a very short time to explain the rules.  Play time really depends on the number of players, I played a 3 player game last night and it took 2 hours, also the individual turns are extremely fast, so there is little down time.  This is a game that is about messing up other people and racing to the goal line.  Even after you make it to your prize, you have to be able to fend of the other players till they are all dead.  Naturally there are variants that change the end game conditions slightly, but that is the standard one.

I love both Descent and Talisman and honestly these games are so completely different.  Another thing, its a roll to move game and for some people that can be a big turn off.  You roll a d6 and you have to move that many spaces, you can choose to go left or right however.  Well I think that kinda sums it up, hope it was at least somewhat useful.   

#3 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Generally, the main difference between this and Descent: This is almost entirely luck based, while Descent is way more tactics based.

Which makes either better for certain game groups - people that aren't hugely into board games will probably prefer Talisman, as it's really easy to pick up and you can't majorly screw up like you can in Descent.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS