• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

The Forest expansion was included in the City of Adventure box from 3th edition.

Many spirits are living there, but also goblins, dragons, Pixies, Minotaurs, Forest elementals etc

There is a big tree in the middle of the board who grabs every tresspasser that want to explore the forest.

The Big Tree

There is also a Swampland and the Mystic Glade.

Swampland

It will not be a easy journey through the swamp.  

Wraith Lord

The Forest is ruled by the fearsome Wraith Lord.

He will show no mercy for everyone who want to challenge him!

Feel free to share your idea's what you want to see in the Forest expansion.

#2 davel

davel

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

I think that the trinkets offered in the high land are a good idea the forest could have some to entice people in.

with swamps more opportunity for toadification

i can't say i like the eagle king ending it's too similar to the frost queen but a few more alternate endings would help.

some rune gates to jump locations and more cards like gong of war to increase encounters.

The high lands had a source of magic theme to it, i think the forest could do with it's own theme source of fate maybe.

I would think that it would allow more strange charicters there arn't many left from the old editions but the saytire and centaur would fit nicely

i just hope they get descent models just not impressed with the highland ones

Dave l

#3 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:03 AM

Just some random 'wants' for a possible forest-based expansion:

Places:  Gingerbread Cottage, Baba Yaga's Hut, Fairy Ring, Hovel, Trapper's Pit, Deadfall, Rune Gate, Crossroads

Board Spaces:  Treetop Village, Enchanted Grove, Stone Circle

Events:  Forest Fire, Insect Swarm, Mist, Baba Yaga, Toad King, Wild Hunt, White Stag, Snare, Lost

Monsters:  Forest Goblin, Woodland Troll, Ettin, Amphisbaena, Wildman, Berserker, Highwayman

Spirits: Skeleton Warrior, Woodwraith, Rusalka, Headless Horseman, Will-o-the-Wisp, Shapeshifter

Elementals:  Carnivorous Plant, Treefolk, Fungus Elemental, Wood Elemental, Firebird

Animals: Boar, Bat, Lynx, Bear, Giant Lizard, Web Spider, Stag Beetle, Wolverine, Flock of Songbirds

Dragons:  Spitting Dragon, Shadow Dragon, Swamp Drake

Cultists: ?

Constructs:  Broken Automaton, Scarecrow

Strangers:  Dryad, Elven Lord, Elven Lady, Hunter, Woodfolk, Brownie, Birdcatcher, Talking Hare, Talking Raven, King Salmon, Archdruid (!)

Followers:  Tracker, Archer, Fairy Hound, Fairy Cat, Dragonet, Werebear, Bogle

Objects:  Walking Stick, Bow, Arrows, Crossbow, Poison, Magic Mushrooms, Clockwork Nightingale, Panpipes, Hunting Horn, Waybread

etc, etc

#4 Shadow345

Shadow345

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

I would like to see various alternate forms of fae creatures such as fairies, sprites, dryads, pixies and wisps.

Animals would be in adundance of course. Plenty of wolves and bears would stalk the woods.

Would robin hood or likewise character make an appearance?

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

If the forest expansion will be released in the future, i hope that FFG will include some (5) wood spaces on the forest region board, so that the elf can have more benefit from his woods warp.

FFG can also add some special spaces for the elf. Some spaces that increase his powers. while other characters receive nothing.

#6 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

@ Shadow345: I think we have Robin Hood already in the base game. You know, the guy who steals from the poor and gives it to the rich. No wait, that was Dennis Moore.

#7 Shadw

Shadw

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

Archdruid said:

Just some random 'wants' for a possible forest-based expansion:

Places:  Gingerbread Cottage, Baba Yaga's Hut, Fairy Ring, Hovel, Trapper's Pit, Deadfall, Rune Gate, Crossroads

Board Spaces:  Treetop Village, Enchanted Grove, Stone Circle

Events:  Forest Fire, Insect Swarm, Mist, Baba Yaga, Toad King, Wild Hunt, White Stag, Snare, Lost

Monsters:  Forest Goblin, Woodland Troll, Ettin, Amphisbaena, Wildman, Berserker, Highwayman

Spirits: Skeleton Warrior, Woodwraith, Rusalka, Headless Horseman, Will-o-the-Wisp, Shapeshifter

Elementals:  Carnivorous Plant, Treefolk, Fungus Elemental, Wood Elemental, Firebird

Animals: Boar, Bat, Lynx, Bear, Giant Lizard, Web Spider, Stag Beetle, Wolverine, Flock of Songbirds

Dragons:  Spitting Dragon, Shadow Dragon, Swamp Drake

Cultists: ?

Constructs:  Broken Automaton, Scarecrow

Strangers:  Dryad, Elven Lord, Elven Lady, Hunter, Woodfolk, Brownie, Birdcatcher, Talking Hare, Talking Raven, King Salmon, Archdruid (!)

Followers:  Tracker, Archer, Fairy Hound, Fairy Cat, Dragonet, Werebear, Bogle

Objects:  Walking Stick, Bow, Arrows, Crossbow, Poison, Magic Mushrooms, Clockwork Nightingale, Panpipes, Hunting Horn, Waybread

etc, etc

All good, but let me add:

Characters:

Centaur

Goblin Fanatic (was a 3rd only character but was still fun)

Dark Elf /Witch Elf

Woodsman

Scout

Ranger

Dragon Rider

-Salute

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

characters that could belong to a Forest expansion are:

Dark Elf

Ranger

Satyr

scout

War Dancer

Witch Elf

Woodsman

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Barbarian and/or Halfling should be in there, at least more reasonable than Dark Elf and Witch Elf (latter is too much of a Warhammer character to be included I would think, ditto for War Dancer). What's a Dark Elf doing in the Forest anyways, he's more of a City-type character.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:03 AM

Dam said:

Barbarian and/or Halfling should be in there, at least more reasonable than Dark Elf and Witch Elf (latter is too much of a Warhammer character to be included I would think, ditto for War Dancer). What's a Dark Elf doing in the Forest anyways, he's more of a City-type character.

I think that a Dark Elf can fit both to a city or forest expansion.

Elf's are living in the woods, but due to his slavery skill, he can also fit to in a city expansion. he will sell his slaves there

#11 Malthule

Malthule

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Characters needed in the forest expansion ... (OK not "needed" but I was bored) ...

Woodsman (Strength 3, Craft 3, Fate 4, Lives 4)

Start: Forest, Alignment: Neutral

You start the game with an axe.

You may draw an additional card on a woods space.

At the start of the game, choose any animal from the adventure card deck and take it as a follower. This follower gives no benefit until you achieve a craft of 5 or higher. When you do, your animal follower will add +2 strength, or +2 craft, or +1 strength and +1 craft (your choice). If you ever lose this follower, you can visit any woods space, miss a turn and another animal follower from the adventure deck to take it's place.

Ranger (Strength 3, Craft 4, Fate 3, Lives 4)

Start: Forest, Alignment: Good

You may start the game with a sword or +2 fate (you choose)

You may evade characters & enemies in the woods or forest.

You may track any player on any board (except the inner region). If you roll a "6" for movement, instead of moving as normal, you may move directly to another player and encounter that space. If you choose, you may encounter that player but if you attack them, you suffer a -3 to your attack score from tracking fatigue.

Orc (Strength 4, Craft: 2, Fate 3, Lives 5)

Start: Crags, Alignment: Evil

You may add +1 to your combat score if you are on or within one space of a hills space.

You may add +3 to your combat score when fighting the sentinel if there is a player currently in the middle or inner region.

At the start of the game, choose a wolf from the adventure card deck and take it as a follower. This follower gives no benefit until you achieve a craft of 4 or higher. When you do, you may ride your wolf follower add +1 on your movement rolls. If you ever lose this follower or it goes to the graveyard, it will return to you after 3 turns.

Centaur (coming soon)

Hobgoblin (coming soon)

Treant (coming soon)

Dryad (coming soon)

#12 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

I vote for Barbarian and Centaur, if for no other reason than that there are currently no characters starting with B or C, looks "horrible" in the alphabetical stat listings to go from A to D .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#13 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

What were the special spaces (i.e. ones which did not read Draw one card) on the original Forest board? What did the Swamplands and Mystic Glade do?  I can't find a decent image or description of them anywhere on the internet. Whilst we're at it, were there any special areas on the original Mountain board that were not replciated on the Highlands board?

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#14 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

So far we've not had many Characters appear in sets to which they are thematically linked.  In The Highland we've got  Highlander of course, and Warlock appeared in The Frostmarch along with more rules for Warlock Quests... and that's it.  However, from the list of 2nd Edition Characters not yet reprinted, I guess there's a good chance there will be one or two appropriate Characters in the expected City and forest-themed large expansions.  My suggested possibilities are:

City - Inquisitor, Spy, Pilgrim

Forest* - Woodsman, Satyr, Ranger

Dragons** - Barbarian, any of the 2nd Edition Dragons Characters

*2nd Edition Centaur was linked to Plains rather than Woods.

**2nd Edition Dragons is one of only two sets to date where the Characters are all strongly related to the set's theme (the other being Timescape).

I would also expect to see at least one new and/or 3rd Edition Character in each of these sets.

#15 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Having a look at the opponents, the forest focuses on craft rather than strength.

Craft 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7
Strength 1, 2, 2, 5, 6, 6

To dodge the Forest Goblin you must roll below Craft.

The Sword of Power allow you to use your craft instead of Strength, the scroll gives a spell, Magic Mushroom gives +1 craft.

Magus give bonuses to craft, Forest Temple gives spells for craft, Pixies are dodged by rolling against craft, the lion joins you after a craft roll.

The Mystic Glade give +1 craft if you roll a 4.

There are almost no direct dicerolls against strength, nor any direct bonuses to strength in the Forest Board.

The Wraith Lord is a craft 6 boss (weaker than both Lord of Darkness and the Eagle King) that offers a straight up talisman.

Clearly, the essence of the Forest Board is to supply a craft character with a talisman and an alternate route to the inner region. It's perfectly reasonable to survive the forest with only 5-6 craft, giving an opportunity for craft-focused characters.

That said, the Dungeons that was a strength-focused affair in 3rd Edition is clearly a Strength+Craft affair in 4th Edition.

Beyond being an alternate and straight-forward path to a talisman, I could never see the point with the forest board in 3rd edition.

I wouldn't mind the Forest to have a lot more spiders, spiderwebs, spiderweb cocoons. Also I am inspired by Dragon Age to suggest werevolves and lycantrophy. A couple of more neutral (druid) opportunities would fit as well.

#16 Red Die Guy

Red Die Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

I would love to see a majority of the encounters as monsters/animals. That way, if you're on the hunt for trophies the deep dark forest is the way to go! Bound to be crawling with gribblies!

Perhaps have the spaces minimum of draw two cards as well for extra 'punch'. That way if a lot of low strength animals are included there is always a chance they could combine strength for battle if drawn together. One step further would be to have the spaces randomly determine the number of cards drawn. say 1-2 = 1 card, 3-4 = 2 cards and 5-6 = 3 cards etc. Increase the likelihood of more cards the deeper the adventurer travels in the forest.

Another idea is a space where if animals are drawn they get bonuses to attack just like the runes space. This could be attributed to Hollow trees, dense brush and all manner of terrain advantages that favour native creatures.

Towards the end of the forest I would like to see one space movement due to very dense terrain and foliage (say for the last 3 spaces leading up to the conflict with Wraithlord was it? Dunno.) That way the adventurers cannot just fly through a smash'n'grab like they can in the dungeon. That irks me somewhat. In fact, I would see it that horses and the like (maybe even mules) are left behind before entering the forest as the terrain is just to dense (especially the last 3 spaces if too harsh for the entire forest) so adventurers have to choose wisely what items to venture in with.

Finally how about added bite and throw in a creature that pursues anyone who ventures within the forest? Why not a werewolf for example! Limited only to the forest due to its curse (wraithlord?) or perhaps he (or she) is extremely territorial and views adventurers as rivals. But don't get bitten! Lycanthropy can be a real setback! (Cannot use weapons, armour or spells and cannot visit market, city etc except the good'ol Mystic where the curse can be lifted.

If not then the werewolf is my suggestion for playable character. He Could start in the forest. In battle with other chracters make him resistant to normal weapons so that if anything other than a magic weapon is used against him in battle he can save wounds on a 3+ and magic weapons on a 5+. He can never wear armour or use weapons. Regenerates 1 wound if he rolls 5+ at beginning of his turn. He will likely have very low fate (cursed thing that he is) and low craft. Modify as see fit for balancing purposes. These are just off the top of my head.

Sorry for the long drivel...I just got typing and the ideas just splurged out! Eurghh! Its not that bad. I kid.

Thanks

#17 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

go ahead dreaming. NOTHING from what you dream about will be seen in the expansion. why that ? Look at the mountain from 3rd ed.  a colourful, funny design with dwarfcity, palace of the icequeen, etcetc. what do ffg demons out of it ? a tundra waste !  boring and pointless. no dwarf city.  the palace of the icequeen stands in the desert of the main board ! kick them off !

#18 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

omg not you again! Never anything nice to say as usual!

#19 Red Die Guy

Red Die Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

I always believe if you don't ask, you don't get. But hey, even if they ignore everthing we all want and release an expansion that's been as good as those currently released (4th ed.) then I'll be a happy chappy.

#20 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

My greatest issue is that there needs to be a valid point with the forest that blends in with the overarching structure of the game.

As far as I concern there's a specific reason when you want to visit the highlands and the dungeon. As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the point with the forest seems to fight your way to a talisman. If they keep to that fine. But I wouldn't mind something that sets it apart from the other two.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS