5 replies to this topic

#1 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi folks!
I'm a little confused on something that happened today. I was playing the role of Dracula, and a hunter played an event card (don't konw the card english name since I have the game in italian - but it should be something like explorers at your service (?) ) that allowed him to spot two locations on the map and check wheter I passed from there or not. The main point is that they hit exactly a location where I passed, but I also played a Hide card on that location. Should I have revealed both cards or just the first one (thus having the Hide card still covered after this event card was resolved)?
Rules seems to me to be a little unclear... I read the FAQ, but basically they cover all cases (double back, hypnosis, newspaper reports, etc) but not this one

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#2 Rasiel

Rasiel

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I think the hide card should be revealed too, it represents the same location as the original card(you stayed in same city). Also, when original location is revealed you reveal hide card too when hunter enters that location.

FAQ states that you dont reveal your location due to the newspapers report because it is your current location (which it cant reveal) you reveal hide card only to prove that and stay unrevealed. Other says you reveal hide card and second card to prove what your current location is. When you have to show if you have been in some city, you should reveal both cards since you have been there twice (two turns).

Just a guess, but i think it makes sense.

#3 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Rasiel said:

I think the hide card should be revealed too, it represents the same location as the original card(you stayed in same city). Also, when original location is revealed you reveal hide card too when hunter enters that location.

FAQ states that you dont reveal your location due to the newspapers report because it is your current location (which it cant reveal) you reveal hide card only to prove that and stay unrevealed. Other says you reveal hide card and second card to prove what your current location is. When you have to show if you have been in some city, you should reveal both cards since you have been there twice (two turns).

Just a guess, but i think it makes sense.

This was my guess also, and it has sense. Thanks a lot for the clarification / feedback, Rasiel!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#4 craterous

craterous

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

First, the card name is "Hired Scouts."

Second: I am guessing too, as the wording on the card is bad.  But per my reading, only the location - the one location card - is revealed (along with the encounters on that one card.)   A hide card is not revealed as it is a separate card, not the location card for the Scout-named city.  (The main reason a Hide card is revealed to a hunter entering the area is because the Hide card's encounter would need to be resolved.  With Hired Scouts, no encounters are resolved.)

Now, arguing against my own interpretation - if the badly worded "Hired Scouts" card implies that all encounters on that city on the map are revealed - then the hide card would need to be revealed so that all encounters could be revealed.  (But I do not think that revealing encounters is the spirit of the Hired Scout card.)

I might be wrong, but the above is my reasoning.

#5 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Craterous :-) I take your point, but the question - imho - is still not that clear. I'm not able to judge the wording of the card, since I never ever seen the original one (btw, thank you for the correct English name of the card). Hopefully this situation will change soon, I can't stand any longer the italian version (too many errors and things without sense, both under the italian grammar and the "gaming language" points of view) and, now that the English version is available again, I'll probably buy again the game. Anyway, the main point is that in most of the cases, whenever you have to reveal a location where you hid, you have to reveal both cards, usually. Besides, your hired scouts had investigated that city, so - thematically speaking - they could have found even a proof of Dracula staying there for more than a turn. Not revealing the Hide card can be very misleading, especially if immediately after you played a card allowing you to move quickly. Don't know, really. In our latest games, we played you have to reveal both, but... as I told you, I take your point. I imagine we should collect some of the most "hot" questions and waiting for a new FAQ. Which is maybe something not that unlikely to happen, since the game seems to have a new commercial life. Which is great, since the game is really good (combat system apart)

#6 Rasiel

Rasiel

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hypnosis too states that Dracula has to reveal his current location, not locations ... but Hide is revealed too... i wouldnt give importance to perfect wording of the cards, since no one can predict all situations. In fakt location card is not sign of dracula, but the encounter is ... you cant randomly choose if you have to reveal hide or the location card for the scout ... scout do his job well and reveals both...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS