New to AH. Some questions about rules!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 v3biker

v3biker

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hi guys.  I just just read through the rule book and so far, the game sounds very interesting and fun!  But I have a few questions about some rules that I am a bit confused about:

1)  If my character has just finished moving and he/she is in a location, and a monster appears or if a monster is there already, I know I have the option to either fight it or evade it.   What happens if let's say I enter combat with it, and I fail the combat check, so the next round of combat, I want to flee, and since I don't have any more movement points (and the fact that I chose to stop moving).  What happens? 

Does it mean that if I pass the flee (evade check), I still stay there in the same location as the monster and combat is over.  And my next movement phase, I will have to do an evade or combat check before I move again?   

2)  I do not get the rules about how if a monster appears in a location encounter, and I defeat or evade it, and it goes back into the monster cup.  If I defeat it in combat, don't I get to keep it as a monster trophy?   The rule book says that any monster that is defeated or evaded in a location encounter is placed back in the monster cup.  I don't quite understand this rule. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

V3

#2 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

v3biker said:

Hi guys.  I just just read through the rule book and so far, the game sounds very interesting and fun!  But I have a few questions about some rules that I am a bit confused about:

1)  If my character has just finished moving and he/she is in a location, and a monster appears or if a monster is there already, I know I have the option to either fight it or evade it.   What happens if let's say I enter combat with it, and I fail the combat check, so the next round of combat, I want to flee, and since I don't have any more movement points (and the fact that I chose to stop moving).  What happens? 

Does it mean that if I pass the flee (evade check), I still stay there in the same location as the monster and combat is over.  And my next movement phase, I will have to do an evade or combat check before I move again?   

2)  I do not get the rules about how if a monster appears in a location encounter, and I defeat or evade it, and it goes back into the monster cup.  If I defeat it in combat, don't I get to keep it as a monster trophy?   The rule book says that any monster that is defeated or evaded in a location encounter is placed back in the monster cup.  I don't quite understand this rule. 

1) Yeah, you got it.  If you are in Combat, and choose to Flee instead of Fight, you don't actually move your Investigator token anywhere.  Combat ends, the Encounter is over, and you and the monster kinda coexist in the same space for a turn.  Think of it as...Initial Evade = you sneaked behind them and took off.  "Flee" = You're hiding in a dumpster or up a tree or in a closet while the monster lumbers around looking for you.  (HOLD YOUR BREATH!!!)  Then you will have to face the monster again during the following turn's Movement Phase.

2) I think this was answered in the FAQ, but yes, you got that too.  If you fight a Location Encounter monster and win, you get the trophy (unless Endless or other condition).  If you Evade or otherwise avoid the Encounter, it goes back to the Cup.  NOTE: if a Gate AND Monster appears...first, you fall through the Gate, and second, the monster stays on the board.  You disappear before having a chance to encounter the monster.

What was that noise?

#3 Villain

Villain

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:31 AM

You're correct on both:

1) If you evade a monster but can't move, you just stay in the same location. You can also voluntarily stay there, even when you have movement points left - you just need to evade all the monsters in your location again next turn (or fight them). There are times when it's wise to max your stealth and drop your speed to zero.

2) You get to keep the monster trophy if you defeat it in an encounter (assuming it doesn't have Endless, etc), the rulebook is misleading there. A monster that appears from an encounter only goes back to the cup if you evade it, or it defeats you. Monsters that appear with a gate stay on board (and count against the monster limit).

EDIT: Damn, less than a minute late. I blame Yog-Sothoth.

-Villain

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS