New and Changed Adventure Cards

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jimmeray

jimmeray

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Thanks FFG for adding Craft monsters. I always felt like BI's version was lacking. The Witch- undecided. I used to dread the witch, but with the change and the Fate tokens, she has become almost a good card. The Raiders- It seems they went from being real bad, devastating near the end of the game, to just inconvenient. I am already considering House rules to add, You may not use fate when visiting the witch and Kill 1 follower and/or lose 1 object when attacked by the Raiders.

#2 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

So you want to make the witch harder to face, yet make the raiders even less than they once were?  Sorry, I don't follow your logic.

#3 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:33 AM

I'll definately keep the BI Raiders card in the box with the new cards (once I get them). When Raiders is drawn, I'll show the REAL version, using the sissified version is a joke.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#4 rcmoore

rcmoore

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

I don't know, I'm sure that the new designers thought the Raiders was a major drag on the game and was a major contributer to the whole "randomness" complaint that many voice.  Yes, it is sissified, but perhaps its worth it if you don't turn off that one player forever when they get hit with a random draw that devestates them.  Personally, I liked it...I learned to embrace the randomness...but I would use the sissy card with casual gamers in a heartbeak.

#5 runebounder

runebounder

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

i also felt that the main game lacked craft monsters ,and i had a friend who said if the old raider card was in the game and he got it he would quit playing. we are new to talisman but i feel that the old version was brutal no fate and the raider card a few of my friends would opt to play runebound instead. although i like how hard talisman is compared to runebound.

#6 Gaudy Scabbard

Gaudy Scabbard

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

I'm undecided about the new watered down Raiders. I have noticed that Gold is now a fairly scarce resource, there are only 30 Gold counters as opposed to the mountains of the stuff in 2nd Edition. With Gold now rarer and thus more valuable, it could be that the Raiders card will still hurt without completely stuffing a player over.

I'm going to try it as it is, if we don't like it we can just houserule it back to the original version.

I don't have the BI Talisman, i've got the Revised 4th Edition. Are the BI and FFG Talisman cards the same size? If not and you choose to use the BI card, you'll see it coming a mile off!

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Gaudy Scabbard said:

I don't have the BI Talisman, i've got the Revised 4th Edition. Are the BI and FFG Talisman cards the same size? If not and you choose to use the BI card, you'll see it coming a mile off!

Sadly, the FFG cards are smaller. However, I'm just keeping the BI Raiders in the box and when someone draws the FFG Raiders, I'll pull the BI version out and say "This is the card text we're using".

#8 jimmeray

jimmeray

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

I just read the news on the new Reaper card and I'm thinking FFG replaced the devastation of the raiders with the reaper. Way to go FFG.

#9 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:43 AM

jimmeray said:

I just read the news on the new Reaper card and I'm thinking FFG replaced the devastation of the raiders with the reaper. Way to go FFG.

Except you can see the Reaper coming. Raiders were one the few cards that once overturned would cause all sorts of reactions, depending on who drew it.

Of course, I'll go with Reaper + "real" Raiders + no Fate  .

#10 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

I haven't really gotten to see what else in the Reaper expansion.  But the Reaper itself is yet another contradiction to the whole "give players more control" issue. It through is more randomness, under certain conditions turns characters into gods. Has too many attributes sloshed together taken from various cards, spaces, and obviously throws in the old Black Hole atlernative ending before one even gets to the CoC. 

Even before buying the expansion (which I will for other components), not one of my group has any interest in the Reaper itself. Not to say others won't; this is only my perspective and that of most of the people I play with.

I too think the certain cards being changed has taken something out of the game. The Raiders were a nasty surprise... then again life, rpgs, fantasy film and fiction all have this... and where else do we think this game's inspiration came from?

There is also the Adventure deck's diversity. Maybe I don't remember 2nd ed. deck accurately, having been away from the game for a number of years, but it seems like there are fewer challenges in the deck than "gimmes" for instant gains.  Any thoughts on the decks make-up as whole in addition to individual cards?

#11 Cidervampire

Cidervampire

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what horses do in the Reaper set? Also, does the horse and cart still add to your move?

Cheers

Geoff

#12 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

Cidervampire said:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what horses do in the Reaper set? Also, does the horse and cart still add to your move?

Cheers

Geoff

Riding Horse allows you to roll two dice and add the results for your Move.

Warhorse allows you to add your Craft value (the starting value printed on the character card) to your Strength during Battle (like the Monk).

Horse and Cart allows you to carry eight extra items.

#13 Cidervampire

Cidervampire

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

That's great news. 2nd edition really sucked with these cards as it was too easy to pick on weaker characters as you could keep landing on them and beating them up etc

Cheers

Geoff

#14 HallowKnight

HallowKnight

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

Raiders:

Yes this card was watered down a bit.  There seems to be plenty of ways to loose you gold in this game as it is.  I would have rather seen the raiders to steel just your objects.  After all other cards that can take your gold are, taxation, foolsgold,Outlaw,pickpocket, plus the scattered board spaces that also do the trick.

After all, we have a card that wipes out everyones spells, a card the wipes out all your followers,  and dont forget the Random spell that has a 33% chance of removing all your strength or craft. (which is way worse than a toad in the later game)

I also think that something else should have been brought into the game more, and that is with the edition of "fate" , there should have been more chances to use fate. Example:

Raiders: Roll 1 dice and loose that many objects to the oasis. 

This would give more opportunity to use fate in the game.

#15 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

Don't forget there is plenty of life left in Talisman as far as expansions go, and you never know what sort of things will be coming. Perhaps there will be a card to rival the old Raiders...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#16 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

talismanisland said:

Don't forget there is plenty of life left in Talisman as far as expansions go, and you never know what sort of things will be coming. Perhaps there will be a card to rival the old Raiders...

There's something think about... BUT it wouldn't be necessary if the Raiders card hadn't been changed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS