Photo

Besides new races, what do people want to see in expansions?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Just curious what people want to see in expansions. I would like to see a few other map size pieces in different lay outs.  New tactics cards, reward cards. Hero cards, quests.

#2 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Ken on Cape said:

Just curious what people want to see in expansions. I would like to see a few other map size pieces in different lay outs.  New tactics cards, reward cards. Hero cards, quests.

What I'd like to see:

• 2 new races
  • More tactics cards
  • More reward cards
  • More quest cards
  • More heroes
  • More map tiles
  • More Season cards
  • More City tokens
  • New terrains in some map tiles (like deserts, with no resources, or oceans, which are entire tile blockers
  • A few more Neutral types

What I DON'T want to see:

• New resources types (because this would require invalidating the current race sheets
  • New unit types for the existing races (again, this would invalidate the current race sheets)

#3 jasonspace

jasonspace

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

I would like to see an adjustment made that would allow for 5-6 players to play instead of just the current maximum of 4.

#4 Tsugo

Tsugo

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

jasonspace said:

I would like to see an adjustment made that would allow for 5-6 players to play instead of just the current maximum of 4.

QFT.

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

sigmazero13 said:

Ken on Cape said:

What I'd like to see:

• 2 new races
  • More tactics cards
  • More reward cards
  • More quest cards
  • More heroes
  • More map tiles
  • More Season cards
  • More City tokens
  • New terrains in some map tiles (like deserts, with no resources, or oceans, which are entire tile blockers
  • A few more Neutral types

What I DON'T want to see:

• New resources types (because this would require invalidating the current race sheets
  • New unit types for the existing races (again, this would invalidate the current race sheets)

I basically agree with Sigma on all points here.  I would only add that hopefully we'll see more than 6 new heroes in an expansion and FFG won't just be string it along to stretch out the existing hero base from other games.  Recycling molds is a neat cost-saving idea, but there comes a point when it's just exploitation. =P  I think another 12 heroes would be a nice, balanced number.

I wouldn't mind seeing new units for the existing factions, but it has been made quite clear in other threads just how difficult it would be to make such a thing work without invalidating the existing faction sheets, which is certainly not a desirable outcome.  I wouldn't want new resources anyway, because that would start to become a lot of crap to keep track of.

#6 Arkade

Arkade

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

I would personally want a little bit more of everything, all themed to some setting. The way the RuneBound expansions work would be good. Gimme a Sands-themed expansion with a new Good race and a new Evil race (or maybe two neutral races?), some new terrain, all that jazz. Toss in some new Quests, Heroes, Seasons, all of it.

I wouldn't mind seeing new unit types for existing armies, but it seems like the only way to make that happen would be a fourth resource type and either a sixth initiative slot or all-new army mats. But if they were gonna do it, I'd like to see some ocean combat going on.

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

I agree with Sigma. Most important are more rewards, tactic cards and, most of all, quests. There are way too few with the original game. Also, more terrain would be superb.

#8 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

Stefan said:

I agree with Sigma. Most important are more rewards, tactic cards and, most of all, quests. There are way too few with the original game. Also, more terrain would be superb.

I think it would be cool if there were more than one quest per hex, for sure.  Maybe two opposing heroes are going to the same place for different reasons instead of just passing by one another en route.  Might encourage a little more dueling among players who normally aren't that aggressive.  Maybe even some kind of "race to the goal" quest where there are two (or more) copies of the same quest in the deck and one consequence of completing it is that all other copies are discarded/removed from the game.  Then people who have that quest will probably want to get it done ASAP for fear that someone else will scoop them!

If each copy states how many other copies must be found and removed upon completion, that would also serve to avoid a cheat/misunderstanding where someone neglected to discard their copy after someone else finished it.

#9 tech7

tech7

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:29 PM

Steve-O said:

Maybe even some kind of "race to the goal" quest where there are two (or more) copies of the same quest in the deck and one consequence of completing it is that all other copies are discarded/removed from the game. 

I like the idea, but imo it would be even  better if those type of quest were open. This would encourage duels even more, somehow like the blue quests in WoW:tBG.

#10 PBnJ

PBnJ

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:53 AM

I would like to see each expanion come with only 1 new army type.  This would help with cost and FFG could add new map peices, quest cards extr...

Plus with this small expanion FFg could add 1 new neutral unit.....  Would love to see them add the golem as a neutral. i could see it as a drawf box w/ golem neutral. 

Then after some time the next box could be orcs.  And so on and so forth.

Also I would love the option of have a new set of order cards for each army type but each race have a different numeber order to it.  Except for 8 as it still takes time to build.  so #1-7 would but diffent for each player.  the under could have a higher # harvest but a lower # recruit. stuff like that.  the timing and tactics would be cool to see as that take place.  someone could play conqure but sorry, the play played mobilzed which goes before your conqure does.

#11 PBnJ

PBnJ

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:57 AM

Steve-O said:

Stefan said:

I think it would be cool if there were more than one quest per hex, for sure.  Maybe two opposing heroes are going to the same place for different reasons instead of just passing by one another en route.  Might encourage a little more dueling among players who normally aren't that aggressive.  Maybe even some kind of "race to the goal" quest where there are two (or more) copies of the same quest in the deck and one consequence of completing it is that all other copies are discarded/removed from the game.  Then people who have that quest will probably want to get it done ASAP for fear that someone else will scoop them!

If each copy states how many other copies must be found and removed upon completion, that would also serve to avoid a cheat/misunderstanding where someone neglected to discard their copy after someone else finished it.

Love the ideas!  I could kind of do this now if, as a group,  you flip 1 quest goal that is open for all heros to try. ofcouse it depents on the quest as some might now work well with this format.

#12 Phil_Fantus

Phil_Fantus

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

I really like the idea of adding new races for a 5-6 player game. It could be easily integrated into the existing game system and playing time is short enough already to add 2 new players and still make the game playable in 4-5 hours (one evening). The quesion of influence bids is already answered in another thread (1 with 0 influence ande the other with 5). And the rule about influence bids can allways be altered if inconvenient.

To make room for 2 new players, some terrain tiles should be added. These tiles should encompass some new neutral units starting there. Also, these terrain tiles need some new quests. New quests should furthermore be added for variety and to make room for the additional players.

Personally I'd also like to see some tactic cards detailing more interaction between heroes and enemy/neutral units present. The idea that heroes really don't mind entering lands (hexes) full of armies because they are normally undetectable doesn't sound right to me.

#13 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Phil_Fantus said:

Personally I'd also like to see some tactic cards detailing more interaction between heroes and enemy/neutral units present. The idea that heroes really don't mind entering lands (hexes) full of armies because they are normally undetectable doesn't sound right to me.

Having one of your heroes enter enemy territory is always a very big risk - all it takes is a Coercion card and all of a sudden, your hero becomes their hero, and there's nothing you can do about it :)

#14 Kombat

Kombat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

My surgestion so far would be:

• 2 new races of "neautral" aligment (mening the green hero fraction)
  • 3 aditional heroes, one for each fraction.
  • extra map tiles ofcourse and setup quests/normal quests for these, and then maybe a "start tile" for the first player to build out from(some special hex with a "event" or city on it maybee)
  • Aditional fatecards, rewardcards, tacticcards, a new "neutral objectives deck"
  • 1-2 new neutral units (for the new map tiles)
  • Rules change so that players have to control more than 6 rune tokens, maybe 8.
  • Additional season cards, and prolong gameplay when more than 4 players or playing expantion.
  • "year of the X" and event for every or every second year of the game giving an extra bonus to players or effecting other gameplay mechanincs, ie "year of the dragons" -> while this card is in play all dragons have thier health incresed by 1. And then removing the bonus when a new year / second year starts replacing it with another special year card. There can be all sort of different types either giving players ekstra bonuses or making it harder for the player. I'm sure there could be plenty of good ideas outhere for this.
  • 1 new title card maybe for Tactic cards.

that I is what i can thing of right now.

#15 peltazoid

peltazoid

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

I also agree with what sigma posted and I really would not want to see much else added apart from more fate cards, as the deck would need to be larger than 30 cards for 6 players.

As for new tiles 4 would be enough (to give an additional two tiles to each new player) plus the starting tiles, tho I would like to see an additional 2 or 3 tiles to increase the variation of the map, may be one that has quite alot of water on it.

One major question tho regarding the new races, starting influence, would one start with none and the other 5 as the other options is to have 5 influence and 6 influence to start which does make them quite powerful (unless the tie-breaker rules were changed)

#16 KAGE13

KAGE13

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

jasonspace said:

#17 hunselnarie

hunselnarie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

a solo play variant

#18 Spamgristle

Spamgristle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Hey all. I just got back from Geekway to the West in St. Louis and got to play this game 3 times over the weekend (I tried every race except the elves).

I had fun but I'd like to see an expansion address a major shortcoming in the gameplay. I did NOT like how Runes were randomly generated. Each player starts with 2 Runes and a secret objective that can gain them a 3rd. After that, players have to wait for Runes to be placed due to Season cards, Heroes cashing in rewards, or Heroes discovering Dragon Thrones.

I'd like to see a variant where all Runes are initially placed on the board. Some able to be acquired by warfare. Others only able to be acquired by Heroes. This would force players into more direct conflict and would reward tactical decisions instead of players just stumbling onto them.

Twilight Imperium had the same problem (randomly generated victory goals) but provided a variant in the rule book to address this issue. Hopefully the Runewars expansion does the same.

#19 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

While I'm sure that would appeal to some, to me it would make the game a lot more bland.  It would really take away from the point of gaining Influence in many cases, would make questing less useful, and would overall just make the game a slug-fest rather than the resource/diplomacy management than it is now.

I think it's a game that once you learn how the runes come into play, becomes more tense as you strive to control territory to put your runes in, and then work on defending that territory.  In so doing, if you want to gain runes for yourself, you have to try and keep a good amount of influence handy, keep your heroes active, and overall work to do many things at once.  By putting all the runes on the board to start with, all of a sudden you go from "multiple ways to win" to "one way to win", and I think that would be a bad thing for this game.

#20 Spamgristle

Spamgristle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

I agree. There shouldn't be one way to win. I just think the ways to win should all be known before the game begins. The ways to acquire the runes should vary - questing, warfare, spending diplomacy, maybe even winning over certain neutral units - but those should be on the board to begin with. It'd give the game focus and even drive players into direct conflict.

And like I said, they already did that Twilight Imperium. Seems to make sense to do it with a similar game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS