Ipad board games

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kaiwing

kaiwing

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

The recently released Ipad is awesome so far, howevereven better is the news that some companies are porting their boargames to the device.  Days of Wonder ported over Small World and it plays great, even though it's 2 players max. I was wondering if FFG would consider doing the same for some of their games. Runebound, Arkham,and others wouldn't be bad as 2 player experiences.

#2 Stalkingwolf

Stalkingwolf

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

kaiwing said:

The recently released Ipad is awesome so far, howevereven better is the news that some companies are porting their boargames to the device.  Days of Wonder ported over Small World and it plays great, even though it's 2 players max. I was wondering if FFG would consider doing the same for some of their games. Runebound, Arkham,and others wouldn't be bad as 2 player experiences.

I just got an iPad the other day. I really hope FFG taps into this. I would love to see War of the Ring, either of the Battlelores, and some others for iPad. I like the idea EA did with Scrabble with the party mode wherein players use their iphones/itouch's as the tile rack so they can keep them hidden from the other players. That would be handy for a lot of the board games and the lcg's.

#3 superklaus

superklaus

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Ipad boardgames are a great, and IMO more and more will come. FFG better jumps up the train as fast as they can. :)

#4 PrinceLucifer

PrinceLucifer

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

I'm not that sure that I would like this development, although I can't deny it's happening. For me Boardgames always were a way to get away from computers and be together with friends again. But maybe I'm just a bit old school...

#5 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:00 AM

I would love a version of one of the LCGs playable on the iPad.

Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

#6 Tribal

Tribal

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

I would be happy with a dice roller for the iPad, iPhone, ipod touch, for all the game with custom dice.  I would be happy to pay for it.  I have a few dice rollers for my iPod touch and have almsot stopped using dice altogether.

#7 jmoodie

jmoodie

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

I desperately hope FFG gets on the iPad train.  I've bought and played the iPad small world and it is outstanding.  The thing is, I also own the tabletop version.  I just want to be able to play in the car, on a plane, etc.

And the thing is, boardgames make great games to play multiplayer via email or via push notifications.  I would absolutely LOVE to be able to play and practice strategies for games like Runewars, BSG, and Warhammer Invasion.  

But I would still totally BUY all of the games, too.  The ipad by its nature can't produce a 3D tabletop scene, so it cannot take the place of playing with my group.  But the ability to play games on the go or more casually using the iPad is a HUGE potential market.  

Please, FFG - bring your games to the iPad and the throng of devices sure to follow the iPad! 

#8 causeitwasfunny

causeitwasfunny

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

I don't have an iPad, but from what I can tell you can simulate 3D.  It won't be 3D in the truest sense, but layer images well enough and you can get a fairly desirable effect. 

I live about an hour away from many of my friends, so getting together to play Arkham or whatever becomes a bit difficult.  If I had an iPad, I would not hesitate to download a well-made digital version of Arkham Horror, Android, Descent, whatever.  Imagine looking over the streets of Arkham and actually see the creatures roaming around.  You could tap on any one of them to obtain the stats you need before choosing a path.  Whenever it's your turn to move, locations would be highlighted based on your current speed.  A battle screen could actually take the place of the board whenever an investigator encounters a monster.  Items, spells, allies, etc could show up on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

To me, the possibilities are astounding.  It may also be a gateway to those that wouldn't have previously considered picking up a board game.  I've heard some concerns that it would take the imagination out of playing a non-digital boardgame, but I don't think that's the case.  I truly think there is room for both in the world.

#9 shadowtag

shadowtag

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I couldn't agree more.  I just got an iPad and use it almost exclusively for playing games (lots of Plants vs Zombies).  I'd LOVE for ANY FFG game to be released for the iPad!

#10 shadowtag

shadowtag

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

Although, if I had to pick, I'd love:

• Descent
  • Runebound
  • Twilight Imperium
  • Talisman

#11 kelvSYC

kelvSYC

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Tribal said:

I would be happy with a dice roller for the iPad, iPhone, ipod touch, for all the game with custom dice.  I would be happy to pay for it.  I have a few dice rollers for my iPod touch and have almsot stopped using dice altogether.

Have you considered The Dicenomicon (for both iPad and iPhone/iPod)?  It's $5 for the pro version, which allows you to create custom dice.  I've used it for some of my games (but so far, nothing FFG, as they tend to take more work to make).  It is mainly RPG-oriented, but you can still create custom dice, create custom rolls, and even character sheets, all of which might find some good use in certain FFG games.

I have a site dedicated to sharing some Dicenomicon creations: http://homepage.mac....con/index.xhtml

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS