Mandy Thompson´s ability

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tygr

Tygr

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Hi, maybe it will seem a stupid question to some of you, but it seems quite interesting to me and not so clear. What do you think about it and how do you play the Mandy´s reroll ability?

Tygr

said:

Hmm, I thought that Mandy´s rerroll can be used only on SKILL checks, not on COMBAT checks. But I don´t want to spoil your good feeling about your success. Great job anyway.

Dam said:

*snicker

Combat checks ARE skill checks

. Ditto for Horror, Evade and Spell checks. Pages 12 and 13 in the rulebook (since copy&paste on these forums gives me a headache).

Tygr said:

I would not be so sure that special skill check = skill check, but I dont want to oppose you. I think that skill check = pure skill check, when you cannot use any other items, but I could take it wrong.

ANother reason why I think I took it right is, that if Mandy would have this possibility, she would be quite overpowered against other investigators. Reroll on only pure skill checks is still strong ability, but not SO strong.

But as I said, I can be wrong.

#2 Villain

Villain

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

Special skill checks are skill checks, so Dam is right. While there's no specific mention of Mandy's ability in the rules, they say that: "Horror check is a skill check using the investigator's Will value", "Combat check is a skill check using the investigator's Fight value", etc - nowhere does it say that they shouldn't be treated as regular skill checks when it comes to special abilities.

If the rules were to be read strictly your way, one couldn't use any Clues on special skill checks either, because the part that describes spending Clue tokens only refers to skill checks, not special skill checks.

And yes, Mandy has the best special ability of the base-game Investigators, especially when playing with a small team. If you play with 5+ Investigators, its usefulness will diminish, as there will be so many rolls each turn.

-Villain

#3 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Tygr said:

I would not be so sure that special skill check = skill check, but I dont want to oppose you. I think that skill check = pure skill check, when you cannot use any other items, but I could take it wrong.

Does that then mean that a fight check is no longer a pure skill check as you call it if you have allies and skills that raise your fight?

As far as I read it Mandy's ability works for skill checks. All skill checks. Including combat, horror, spell and evade checks. It is only once per turn after all. You've still got to decide which check it will be best used to reroll. And this being a co-operative game, it's not about who has the best ability, it is about how you best use those abilities to positively influence your team.

#4 Tygr

Tygr

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thorgrim: Yes, fight check with allies and skills are still pure skill check (by my opinion), because they affect the base skill. Unlike weapons etc.

Thorgrim, Villain: ok, thanks for the answers, it means good news for me, because I like playing Mandy and I used her ability only on "pure skill checks" :o)

#5 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:19 AM

Yes Tygr...  Dan was right.  And Mandy is widely considered the most overpowered investigator as a result.

#6 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

thank goodness for that because I wasn't going to replay all the scenarios again.

yes Mandy is considered broken, just like Daisy, but she's still in the game. I hate playing without her because then you end up failing stuff!

#7 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Yes Tygr...  Dam was right.  And Daisy is widely considered the most overpowered investigator.

Fixed a couple of things for ya  .

For the record, Mandy is wickedly powerful (and a looker), but the 30+ dice crap only works when you hoard Clues for final combat (and pretty much with Joe D or getting +1 Fight). I suppose you could hoard them and use them during the game as well, but that would be kinda silly. Normally I find myself rerolling 2-3 dice, usually failing the reroll as well.

No knock on tamsyn, having read the scenario text, close/seal win with just 2 investigators would be "hard"  .

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#8 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:59 AM

the way we play with the scenarios are different from usual, for the league it is all about winning and surviving. with a lot of the setups we have said from the very beginning we are just going to hoard for the final fight, and get the AOO to wake up as soon as possible to keep the terror level down and maximise the score.

#9 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:54 PM

tamsyn said:

the way we play with the scenarios are different from usual, for the league it is all about winning and surviving. with a lot of the setups we have said from the very beginning we are just going to hoard for the final fight, and get the AOO to wake up as soon as possible to keep the terror level down and maximise the score.
I know you're playing with just two investigators so it's not really an option, but to maximize the score I think it's better to try to prolong the game by sealing the high-traffic gates and hunting monsters as long as possible.

In the first couple of scenarios I pondered if I should use that tactics but I got bored quickly and concentrated on just making it through.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS