directed attacks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wizuriel

wizuriel

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

Had a question on directed attacks. Is there anywhere that it mentions what an attack to a leg or hand does? Or is it up for GM to rule what happens? Also is there anywhere that mentions what different armour protects? The rules hint that if you attack somewhere without armour the defender doesn't get a bonus, though only a few armours in their descriptions mention that they protect different areas (like legs)

#2 wizuriel

wizuriel

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:19 AM

Okay so found part of my answer. Looks like fullplate is a translation issue and same as complete. Shirts cover everything but legs and breastplate just covers chest and back. Looks like up to the GM to rule what happens when you do directed attacks. 

Anima has a lot of nice looking stuff, but really annoying how some concepts just appear started and only half finished. 

#3 ilovecheese1

ilovecheese1

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

wizuriel said:

Okay so found part of my answer. Looks like fullplate is a translation issue and same as complete. Shirts cover everything but legs and breastplate just covers chest and back. Looks like up to the GM to rule what happens when you do directed attacks. 

Anima has a lot of nice looking stuff, but really annoying how some concepts just appear started and only half finished. 

Yes on the armor, and kind of on the directed attacks. 

There are special rules for attacking "vulnerable points" on someones body, and on humans the head and the heart count as vulnerable points. Basically they suffer a critical if they take 1/10 of the current LP of the individual instead of the usual 1/2. If the person suffers a critical failure by more than 50 at the vulnerable point, they immediately die.

Also, you get the 'bonus' of noticing that the enemy is not wearing a complete suit, then you attack his arms/legs to deal more damage because of the lower AT the person has (usually 0) at that location.

hope that helps and clarifies a small bit.

#4 Keylime

Keylime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

If the armor has 'complete' in the location column, assume it provides full coverage to the body (torso, hands, feet, arms, and legs), excluding head.  Armor that is in the 'shirt' location would cover only the torso and armor in the 'full plate' location would cover the torso, arms and legs (but not the hands, feet or head).  But as the game master the choice is solely up to your discretion.

#5 hellgeist

hellgeist

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

I think what I'd do is - if the player succeeded with a directed attack (lets say with a sword), simply apply their attack roll against the armor type for the location they hit. So if they aimed for the hand because the opponent only had leather gloves (but was wearing a Breastplate) then you'd look up the result on the Combat Table for AT 1 (leather) instead of 4 for the breastplate.

If successful, the effect is basically more damage and higher chance for criticals.

#6 ilovecheese1

ilovecheese1

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:18 AM

hellgeist said:

I think what I'd do is - if the player succeeded with a directed attack (lets say with a sword), simply apply their attack roll against the armor type for the location they hit. So if they aimed for the hand because the opponent only had leather gloves (but was wearing a Breastplate) then you'd look up the result on the Combat Table for AT 1 (leather) instead of 4 for the breastplate.

If successful, the effect is basically more damage and higher chance for criticals.

Yep, just remember there is usually a penalty to attack when you attack a specific point on the body (there is a convenient table in the combat chapter) and this can affect how much damage you do, or sometimes you can miss because the penalty is so large!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS