With the new expansion (a fine thing) we have an influx of negative attack cards and a zero kicker. I haven't found these to be terribly useful in my games so far, but I'd like to brainstorm their qualities.
- Loser & Anti-Matter:
With either of these powers in the game, the situation can arise wher the lower total will win the encounter. If one or more of these aliens are in your game, all the above cards are good.
- Sorcerer & Trader:
With these guys in the game, bad cards can be good simply because they might well become your opponents' cards. Of course the zero kicker is still useless - sorcerer can't switch it, and if it's traded it may never get used.
- Ethic can use the low numbers as negotiates, with the occasional distinction that they will win against other low cards. The zero kicker is useful for Ethic too.
- Reserve loves negatives! They act as reinforcements, which can add to either side. Zeros are no good to reserve though.
Other times they can be good simply because you want to lose the encounter. Some such situations include (but are not limited too:
- Playing as or against Masochist.
- Occasionally when playing as Warpish (especially with several allies on your side compared to the opposing side).
- When Parasite has come along uninvited.
In most of the above cases you'd rather have a Negotiate - but sometimes you don't want compensation because your opponent has crapola or because you are running out of cars and would rather have eight than four. Zeros are good in these cases - the zero kicker can even be used with negotiare precisely to avoid having to take compensation..
Has anybody noticed strengths these cards have which I may have overlooked? (I haven't yet looked through the flare deck with this in mind).
If FFG is reading, I request more aliens which make these cards interesting. Especially considering every new alien that doesn't make these useful dilutes the alien deck of those which do.