Your Talisman Character top 3 in revised 4:edition

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Bijan

Bijan

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

Before FFG revsion of the game, the Prophetess was the strongest, fallowed by the Warrior, Wizard. Who are in top 3 now? Any ideas?

#2 Gonad the Ballbarian

Gonad the Ballbarian

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:41 AM

With the Reaper Expansion, I would say the Dark Cultist ranks right up there with the the Prophetess and Warrior.

#3 Atheral

Atheral

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:42 AM

I'd say the Dark Cultist has the potential to be the most powerful by far, the prophetess would rank next after that hmm...I'd say its a toss up between the warrior, assassin, and wizard.

#4 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

I'd have to go with Dark Cultist, Warrior and Assassin.

Assassin isn't as great as the other two but I just love it when I get to play as him in a game with a lot of players.  Though since the release of The Reaper expansion I'm going to have to go with the idea that the Dark Cultist may hands down be the best character in the game.

#5 ameritrasher

ameritrasher

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:08 AM

1. Wizard
  2. Thief
  3. Troll
  4. Dark Cultist
  5. Warrior

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

Any old-schoolers around? Does the Dark Cultist have a chance of becoming the Warrior of Chaos from the Adventure expansion, i.e. seen as too powerful?

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 ImpendingFoil

ImpendingFoil

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Dam said:

Any old-schoolers around? Does the Dark Cultist have a chance of becoming the Warrior of Chaos from the Adventure expansion, i.e. seen as too powerful?

Yeah the whole every time you kill an enemy or cause another character to lose a life roll on the table and gain something awesome still exists.

#8 Gaudy Scabbard

Gaudy Scabbard

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Heh, guess I count as an old timer! I have the 2nd Edition plus all the expansions including the Dragons expansion and i've been playing the game since 1988.

I haven't got the Reaper expansion yet but the Dark Cultist does sound like the son of Warrior of Chaos. Personally, while I did find the Warrior of Chaos to be borderline overpowered, in truth I never felt it was too bad. Other players picking on the Warrior of Chaos player always tended to bring him down a peg or two, something you couldn't do to the almighty Prophetess or Monk, Astropath or the High Mage (from the City Expansion), Cyborg,  and the Sprite (always has two spells!)

Minus the Reaper expansion, my top three Revised 4th Edition characters are:

1) The Thief. "What's that! Is it powerful?  Mine!  Do you have any gold? Mine! That's shiny isn't it? Mine!"
2) The Assassin "Ah hah! Stabbity stab!"
3) The Wizard "Hmm, do you like this spell? No? How about this one? Or that one? Or that one......?"

#9 Lord Shadowcat

Lord Shadowcat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

My three would be:

1) Dark Cultist

2) Prophetess

3) Assassin

#10 rexaroo

rexaroo

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:10 AM

i think the druid is up there pretty high with his new ability to gain his full complement of spells when he lands on a woods space.  that lets you cycle thru spells almost as fast a the wizard.  faster, in some cases, that we've played him.

my 3 faves are:

1. wizard/prophetess

2. troll

3. druid/dark cultist

yes i know that is really 5 but the wizard and prophetess are on the same playing field with the spell recharging and the druid and dark cultist are, for me, equally cool and challenging to make work.

#11 jasonk

jasonk

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

the sleeper hit: the Sage from the reaper expansion. he always has a spell, can look at top adventure card whenever, and gets to reroll his movement die. although i did kill with the thief last night...

#12 ilgoga

ilgoga

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

I played the Sage last night and he was awesome (the looking in the adventure deck and then try or not to try to land on draw spaces with the movement re-roll is a killer combo), but the Dark Cultist seems way better.

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

I have not play yet with a lot characters from 4th edition(revised)

But at this moment my top 5 i think is:

1 Wizard

2 Assassin

3 Druid ( have not play yet)

4: Merchant ( Have not play yet)

5 Dark Cultist (have not play yet)

#14 librarycharlie

librarycharlie

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:43 AM

Depends on number of players.

1-3 players:

1) Knight
2) Elf/Wizard tie (Elf owns in 2 player, still is strong in 3, Wizard is good, but will get stuck with spells sometimes)
3) Dark Cultist/Warrior

4+ players:
1) Knight
2) Thief/Wizard (with this many players, thief controls all items in the game, Wizard rarely gets stuck with spells)
3) Sorceress (can steal tons of followers, including all the game's mules, plus with 4+, someone is likely to be bad at psychic combat, and/or evil)
4) Dark Cultist/Warrior (rough tie)

#15 Lord Aries

Lord Aries

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:50 AM

I always loved the minstril from the original game...  Is he in the revised 4th ed?  I am getting my copy later today. 

#16 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

Lord Aries said:

I always loved the minstril from the original game...  Is he in the revised 4th ed?  I am getting my copy later today. 

He is... still rocking it up!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#17 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

Going purely by stats (after 21 games with Upgrade + Reaper to date):

#1:  Dwarf 3-2 (win-loss record) One of the losses was at the Crown despite a 2-advantage in battle.

#2: Sage 2-1

tie for #3 (all 2-2): Knight, Prophetess, Thief, Troll

Both of the Thief's wins have been very lucky. First was a hail mary Magic Portal to Plain of Peril to steal Troll's Talisman and walk to the Crown while Troll tried to find another one. Second win saw Wizard fail 4 times at Mines, despite rolling vs 10-11 (and used Fate on at least 2 occasions), Destroy Magicked on the 5th try at Pits and finally have Talisman Shattered on the 6th try, again at Pits. Meanwhile, Thief waved the Wizard as they passed in the Mines, which the Craft 5 Thief made through on the first try (okay, he had Gnome + Map).

At the bottom of the pile, with so far 0 wins: Druid (0-4), Elf (0-3), Priest (0-3) and Sorceress (0-5). Warrior, Minstrel and Ghoul haven't done much better, all at 1-4.

#18 dth

dth

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

It is funny how people view the characters. From a purely assessment based view, the best characters should be:

1) Prophetess

2)

3) Dwarf

From a performance perspective:

1) Sage (winning something like 3/5 games)

2) Merchant

3) A homebrew character

#19 librarycharlie

librarycharlie

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Why no love for the Knight?  He's basically a 5/3 with armor who automatically gains craft or strength (usually his choice) at the Temple or Idol.  How is the Troll better than that? (other than the single point of Strength...)  The armor makes up for the life difference, and they both have the same fate.  The Temple/Chapel bonus is awesome, and the ability to hold spells on turn one can also make a huge difference.

#20 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

librarycharlie said:

Why no love for the Knight?  He's basically a 5/3 with armor who automatically gains craft or strength (usually his choice) at the Temple or Idol.  How is the Troll better than that? (other than the single point of Strength...)  The armor makes up for the life difference, and they both have the same fate.  The Temple/Chapel bonus is awesome, and the ability to hold spells on turn one can also make a huge difference.

I think people don't like him 'cos of his "can't harm good chars" limitation. I myself have no issue with him, he remains one of the few chars to win 50% of the games he's in (of course, playing 3-p means only 1 char wins and at least 2 lose, so 50% is very credible). As to Temple, +2 only helps if you don't roll a natural 8+ or 2-3. I know those should be rare, but dangit, that's not how it pans out usually. Most of the time it's a straight Talisman or Spell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS