• 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:25 PM

Are expansions in production for FOD and when will they be available

#2 MGBM

MGBM

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

Somehow I doubt it since the game is great as it is. I've always had the feeling that this is one game where an expansion might do more harm than good.

#3 kjakan

kjakan

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

The game is indeed good as it is. If any expansion is being considered, I'd be happy to see a handicap package of sorts that can improve the Dracula's or the Hunter's chances of winning.

For example, to help a novice Dracula player you could increase the number of Vampire event cards in the deck. Likewise with the Hunters. These cards could be marked on the "text-side" to indicate that they aren't to be used during normal play. There may not be a need to invent new cards, just increase the number of some of the more basic cards. Simply introducing more Hunter cards mean that the Dracula player will have fewer means at his disposal. Increasing the number of Vampire cards means that Dracula is more likely to have the upper hand. 

-K

#4 samoan

samoan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

Personally I think adding an expansion would be fine. Add a new board to take your hunting to another location, add more events/traps for dracula to choose from.

But yes it is good as it is.

#5 Fifagi

Fifagi

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

samoan said:

Personally I think adding an expansion would be fine. Add a new board to take your hunting to another location, add more events/traps for dracula to choose from.

But yes it is good as it is.

I want an expansion that limited the influece of Dice:

I hate the combat: one dice DO the winner or the loser -.-

This isn't good for the game, because you can win whit THE LUCK and without strategy

#6 OldUrmel

OldUrmel

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I like the luck of the dice in this game ... it makes it somewhat faster then other games ...

However I also would like to see an expansion ... A new board takin the hunters to africa or asia ... (of course that would totaly leave the original storyline by stoker ... but who gives a heck ) Another idea for an expansion i would prefer would be additional "vampire-players" ...

#7 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

I would like an expansion, too. But that was discussed multiple times on the old boards. I think this game is great on it's own, but yeah this is FFG and expansions are frequently part of their catalog.

I just don't think they are going to make any. The game is several years old now and not a whisper.

#8 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

I for one am glad there don't appear to be any expansions coming for this game.  I mean sure, there are things they could put in an expansion.  There's always room for new cards and game pieces that play on the rules in new ways.  But this game (in its original edition) was based on the Dracula novel and the idea "what if Dracula wasn't really killed at the end?"  It's an awesome idea for a board game.  I loved the original GW game and I love the FFG version just as much.  Every expansion they made, however, would take the boardgame farther from that simple concept and farther from the novel it was based off of.  I think that would cause the game to lose a lot of its charm, at least for me.

Its connection to the literary work would disintegrate under the weight of new fictional material being added to the universe with each expansion and pretty soon it would be just another vampire game.  As it is now the board game feels like it has a very real (if unofficial) connection to the "real" Dracula and that sets it apart in my mind from other games that feature vampires.

Which is not to say that any of the ideas people have been posting are bad - I'm sure there are a lot of ways the game could theoretically be improved.  I'm just saying there's a fine line between adding to a license and exploiting it, and in this case I think one box without expansions is the limit.  I'm glad FFG appears to recognize that limit, too.

#9 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

sepayne7l said:

I would like an expansion, too. But that was discussed multiple times on the old boards. I think this game is great on it's own, but yeah this is FFG and expansions are frequently part of their catalog.

I just don't think they are going to make any. The game is several years old now and not a whisper.

Double +1, for the wanting an expansion even if it is good like that, and for the several years old. 2006, isn't it ? They'll leave it as it is for sure... sad. Because I think an expansion is not something to make a bad game better, but to make a good game even better ! Oh, and to make some money, of course, but that's not our problem... (that's our MONEY actually hehe)

#10 DeepSteve

DeepSteve

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:50 AM

I would buy a FoD expansion in a heartbeat. I doubt that it will ever happen though. The game holds up really well on its own, and FFG has never sought to develop FoD as a franchise.

#11 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

DeepSteve said:

I would buy a FoD expansion in a heartbeat. I doubt that it will ever happen though. The game holds up really well on its own, and FFG has never sought to develop FoD as a franchise.

You're damn right, especially for the first sentence which I completely agree with. Though, looking at how this forum is dead (a bit like Cosmic's which I just paid a visit) I doubtly imagine there will ever be an expansion for such a game... sad, indeed.

#12 Gamer4Life

Gamer4Life

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

I would personally love to see "Fury Of..." become a series of games rather then expansions.  Dracula is not the only villian in modern writing that was hunted and there is plenty of great stories to be told in the form of a board game of this type.  Fury of Frankenstein comes to mind, but I'm certain there could be others that could be made with a few rules adjustments.

#13 etienneq

etienneq

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

An expansion to give Dracula a little bit more of an edge over the hunters would be nice.  

Arkham Horror has 3 mini expansions that add well a number of cards that make it a little more difficult for the players.  Something like that would make it a wee bit more interesting.

It is however still a great game and one that I play often enough 

#14 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

etienneq said:

An expansion to give Dracula a little bit more of an edge over the hunters would be nice.  

Arkham Horror has 3 mini expansions that add well a number of cards that make it a little more difficult for the players.  Something like that would make it a wee bit more interesting.

It is however still a great game and one that I play often enough 

What about the other side, for players who suffer from Dracula domination? Making things harder for the players would unbalance the game even more for them. You can find articles for both sides on BGG. My games have the Dracula with a slight edge over the Hunters.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#15 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

Well Dam, I presume you are Dracula ! Arrgg, you luck you, made my family discover that game during holydays, they didn't quite like it, my woman was the only one into it, and brought them to find me on the map and slaughter me like a pig. I was like my family : remembering this is not one of my favorite FFG game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS