I got Runebound 2E for my birthday last week, and so far I am very impressed. I played my first game with two other people, the second game with one person (who was also a player int he first game), and last night I played a third with 5 people (one of which has played each game with me so far). The time isn't that horrible, but I do think we will do something to speed it up a bit if we have a lot of players as the 6 player game ran almost 6 hours, whereas the two player game went 3.
My first question would be which variant is more recommended to speed up play: Doom Track or Lower Exp to level by 1? We have yet to play with the Doom Track, but the two player game we used the less Exp and it went rather well.
My next few questions came up as a result of play and weren't exactly clarified in the FAQ/Errata.
- Does the movement given by "Wings of Regiroth" only allow you to move in a straight line, or can you go four spaces however you choose?
- The FAQ states that heroes and allies with "pump" abilities, such as the one Battlemage Jaes has, can be used mulitple times in a single phase or round. However, can you exceed your Stamina and therefore take wounds in order to pump it further? For example, if Jaes is already at 4 Fatigue, can he take 2 more - which would convert to wounds - in order to use his ability? If he was at 0 Fatigue, would he be able to take 6 Fatigue - 2 of which would convert to wounds - in order to add 3 wounds to the damage from his attack? Simply put, are you able to take more fatigue than you have Stamina in order to use an ability?
- If an Encounter requires you to make an attack, such as "Ransacking the Ashes," are you allowed to use an Ally for this attack? ( I say no, my friend says yes).
- Similar to the previous question: if a Challenge or Encounter requires you to make any form of test, can you use an Ally to do so or only when specifically stated that the Ally makes the test? (I say only when specifically directed)
- If you discharge (discard) an Ally while in the Market Step while in a town in order to hire anew Ally, does the discharged Ally remain in the town's market stack?
- When the event that destroys Tamalir - "Paying the Price of Defiance" - comes up and is resolved, any hero in Tamalir takes 3 wounds and is moved to Forge. Do any allies that are with the hero take damage as well? Are the items in the Tamalir Market Stack simply left there, or are they discarded to the bottom of the Market Deck?