Jump to content



Photo

will DW allow for playable "traitor" Marines?


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gillam Harrow

Gillam Harrow

    Member

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

just prior to reading about the upcoming Deathwatch, i finished reading the soul drinkers omnibus. i liked it so much a wrote up stats for them using RT rules. however, with DW, you might take a different approach. as the game makes the character part of the militant arm of the Ordo Xenos, and the inquisistion as a whole can effectively recruit anyone with any background from virtually anywhere, couldnt a kill-team theoretically include repentant renegade marines? i personally think it'd be kinda cool to play a Sarpedon-esque style Astartes who just happened to be a soul drinker or Alpha Legion (which, from the rumors i hear, still believe they follow the Emporer). i don't know, what do you guys think?



#2 Little Dave

Little Dave

    Member

  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Repentance just means a quick death. Not a hard and fast rule, but I cannot think of any exceptions off the top of my head.



#3 Kanluwen

Kanluwen

    Member

  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Little Dave said:

Repentance just means a quick death. Not a hard and fast rule, but I cannot think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

Mantis Warriors and a few other Chapters from the Badab Heresy.



#4 Atheosis

Atheosis

    Member

  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Gillam Harrow said:

just prior to reading about the upcoming Deathwatch, i finished reading the soul drinkers omnibus. i liked it so much a wrote up stats for them using RT rules. however, with DW, you might take a different approach. as the game makes the character part of the militant arm of the Ordo Xenos, and the inquisistion as a whole can effectively recruit anyone with any background from virtually anywhere, couldnt a kill-team theoretically include repentant renegade marines? i personally think it'd be kinda cool to play a Sarpedon-esque style Astartes who just happened to be a soul drinker or Alpha Legion (which, from the rumors i hear, still believe they follow the Emporer). i don't know, what do you guys think?

No. 

Traitor Astartes are the most hated of all of the enemies of the Imperium.  There is no forgiveness for their kind.

 



#5 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#6 Mjoellnir

Mjoellnir

    Member

  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:55 PM


MILLANDSON said:

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.

Exactly, as soon as you start messing around with Chaos the only forgiveness you'll get is being purged by the holy trinity of bolter, flamethrower and melter.



#7 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

MILLANDSON said:

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.

Yup, I agree with Millandson here. Could make for a fun chronicle, though. The player plays, for example, a Lamenters officer who is seeking penance in the eyes of the wider Astartes by becoming an ultra dedicated Deathwatch marine.



#8 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

Lightbringer said:

MILLANDSON said:

 

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.

 

 

Yup, I agree with Millandson here. Could make for a fun chronicle, though. The player plays, for example, a Lamenters officer who is seeking penance in the eyes of the wider Astartes by becoming an ultra dedicated Deathwatch marine.

Its the one case where Space Marines may actually be able to go undercover. Finding a deceased space marine the Lamenter dons the dead marin's armour in the hopes of finding salvation using the name of another.



#9 RedMike

RedMike

    Member

  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

 

 

Its the one case where Space Marines may actually be able to go undercover. Finding a deceased space marine the Lamenter dons the dead marin's armour in the hopes of finding salvation using the name of another.

 

 

Oh my goodness!  The unspeakable heresy of it!  Can you imagine what would happen if the deception was found out?  The quick whooosh of heavy flamers and roar of meltas reducing the Lamenters Marine to a charred, dripping corpse.

In short, there would never be an official release where you could play a Traitor Marine one thinks - but it would be an outstanding role-play experience - I bet Chaos Legionaires have a story to tell (excluding the gibbering part of course) and their interelationships with other Traitors would be much more indelicately balanced than that between loyalist Marines.  Where a Dark Angels Marine and a Space Wolf would feel some genuine antipathy, you could imagine a Death Guard plague marine and a Thousand Sons sorcerer having some serious issues getting on - that's one theological conversation that would deteriorate pretty quickly! 



#10 SonofDorn

SonofDorn

    Member

  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:00 AM

MILLANDSON said:

 

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.

 

 

Or at least until the Emperor gets up from the Golden Throne and says otherwise, barring that feeling you get in your legs from sitting on the "Throne" too long.


"The soul of the Imperial Fist can be found in his sword."

 


#11 Brother Praetus

Brother Praetus

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

SonofDorn said:

Or at least until the Emperor gets up from the Golden Throne and says otherwise, barring that feeling you get in your legs from sitting on the "Throne" too long.

"My legs!  O' HOLY ME!!!!  I can't feel My legs!"

<blink blink>

"Where am I, how long have I been out, and who the hell do YOU think you are looting ME?!?!?"

-=Brother Praetus=-


"Truth is so rare it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

- Fortune Cookie


#12 Tetragon Tanebrae

Tetragon Tanebrae

    Member

  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

Gillam Harrow said:

Alpha Legion (which, from the rumors i hear, still believe they follow the Emporer).

That is i serious point of debate and most certaintly does not, but back to subject, in the case of the Alpha Legion it might be possible with the GM's permission to play an Alpha Legionnary in disquise since they quite often infiltrate the Imperium causing no end of trouble, one would just have to make sure once's fellow Astartes never learned the truth... at least not until the right time...  



#13 Lucius Valerius

Lucius Valerius

    Member

  • Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

I'm wondering what whould happen to a SM who is member of a traitor legion but was serving already in the DW when his Chapter was declared "traitor".

Of course he has no link with the relevant events so what whould his fate be ?



#14 Atheosis

Atheosis

    Member

  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

Lucius Valerius said:

I'm wondering what whould happen to a SM who is member of a traitor legion but was serving already in the DW when his Chapter was declared "traitor".

Of course he has no link with the relevant events so what whould his fate be ?

Most likely he would get lumped in with his brothers "just to be safe". 



#15 Smokes

Smokes

    Member

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

RedMike said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

 

 

 

In short, there would never be an official release where you could play a Traitor Marine one thinks -

 

Oh Im not sure about that, you never know when a Traitor Legions Suppliment might come out, letting you play the bad guys (Like a non-human brigands game in D&D)

People like evil characters, and I would never say never when it comes to a game that generates more dollars for a company.



#16 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

    Former Contributing Freelance Writer

  • Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

MILLANDSON said:

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Minor point, but for anyone using the 'standard' 40kRP timeline (815-816.M41), the Badab War hasn't happened yet. Lufgt Huron had neglected paying his required tithes for the last sixty years or so, but it wouldn't be for another 85 years or so until the Badab War actually starts...

...which, interestingly, means that the Astral Claws chapter haven't yet become the Red Corsairs, and thus could easily turn up in a game of Deathwatch...


Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#17 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

MILLANDSON said:

 

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

 

 

Minor point, but for anyone using the 'standard' 40kRP timeline (815-816.M41), the Badab War hasn't happened yet. Lufgt Huron had neglected paying his required tithes for the last sixty years or so, but it wouldn't be for another 85 years or so until the Badab War actually starts...

...which, interestingly, means that the Astral Claws chapter haven't yet become the Red Corsairs, and thus could easily turn up in a game of Deathwatch...

Good point! I'd forgotten about the "canon" date in Dark Heresy.

Yea, that'd be.... interesting


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#18 LeBlanc13

LeBlanc13

    Member

  • Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

While the inquisition would probably not recruit from traitor legions (barring Dark Angels), I can certainly see a campaign being run outside of the background provided. Who says the marines you're playing need to be Deathwatch recruits. I'm sure they'll be room to incorporate home brew or heretical chapters in the game and you can basically start a campaign against the Imperium with your kill team instead.

As far as heretical marines working for the Inquisition and Ordo Xenos, I'm going to say Space Wolves and Blood Angels are the only acceptable heretics in Deathwatch that I'm aware of. Darn gene seed and it's instability. Dark Angels are heretics for a whole different reason.... but since the Imperium doesn't know about that, it really won't hurt them.... yet!



#19 Gillam Harrow

Gillam Harrow

    Member

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Lightbringer said:

 

MILLANDSON said:

 

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

Traitor Marines that have been declared Extremis Traitoris (such as Alpha Legion and Soul Drinkers)? No. Not in a million years.

 

 

Yup, I agree with Millandson here. Could make for a fun chronicle, though. The player plays, for example, a Lamenters officer who is seeking penance in the eyes of the wider Astartes by becoming an ultra dedicated Deathwatch marine.

 

 

Its the one case where Space Marines may actually be able to go undercover. Finding a deceased space marine the Lamenter dons the dead marin's armour in the hopes of finding salvation using the name of another.

that might work

 



#20 Gillam Harrow

Gillam Harrow

    Member

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

MILLANDSON said:

 

Mistaken renegade chapters (such as the Lamenters, etc, from the Badab War)? Yes.

 

 

Minor point, but for anyone using the 'standard' 40kRP timeline (815-816.M41), the Badab War hasn't happened yet. Lufgt Huron had neglected paying his required tithes for the last sixty years or so, but it wouldn't be for another 85 years or so until the Badab War actually starts...

...which, interestingly, means that the Astral Claws chapter haven't yet become the Red Corsairs, and thus could easily turn up in a game of Deathwatch...

holy crap are you serious? now THERE would be one hell of a delema






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS