Jump to content



Photo

Compatability


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

Anyone on here test play this? Does anyone know how compatable it is with the other 40K RPGs? Same degree of difference between this and RT that was between RT and DH?



#2 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

    Playtester

  • Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Assuming the default NDA from FFG, until more is mentioned, no one will be able to talk about it, other than "I'm playtesting it". At least, that's how it is for the DH and RT playtesters.


~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

 

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.


#3 MKX

MKX

    Member

  • Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

It'll be interesting to see how well the D100 system handles it, while quite a lot of DH & RT are easily cross-compatible. I have noticed that the scaling of RT with high stats, skills and other abilities gets pretty sketchy to the point where that in the cycle of the game of some stats at 50-65 and potentially +20 to +30 in stats, that the 'challenge' of testing characters gets a lot harder, where even the seriously hard tests will be accomplished 50% of the time, unlike in DH where it was still a fairly consistant 25-30% chance of success for the very hard tests with advanced characters. In that regard I'm interested in playing just to see what its like, not so sure I'd be comfortable running that level of game though.



#4 Brd. Maximilian

Brd. Maximilian

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Compatability will not the problem I thing, the stats of a Marine will likely include the Unnatural Charackteristic trait, so the Marine is only a far more powerfull charackter,  Seeing forward for more inforamtation of that, the only reverence is the Marine from Purge the Unclean.



#5 Evilref

Evilref

    Member

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

MILLANDSON said:

Assuming the default NDA from FFG, until more is mentioned, no one will be able to talk about it, other than "I'm playtesting it". At least, that's how it is for the DH and RT playtesters.

 

Actually we can say a little more than that. General views (I like it a lot), countering kneejerk derogatory opinions (it's involves a lot more than combat) etc.



#6 Savage

Savage

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

We are allowed to give our general impressions of the book, but no details.

My general impressions are; that this game is freaking awsome!

I have playtested several DH and RT books, and this is by a clear mile my absolute favourite so far. The way they have presented Deathwatch characters, the options they have given for character generation and development, the equipment, the adversaries, the setting, the background...everything about it is well thought out, well written and well balanced.

Before playtesting started, I was quite worried about the 'sameness' and lack of individuality that would plague Space Marines. This proved to be an unfounded worry though; FFG have pulled this one off wonderfully, they have created a magnificent game, that has far exceeded my expectations.

I cannot wait to see the end product. No book that FFG has done so far that I have playtested has had me nearly as excited as this one.



#7 Evilref

Evilref

    Member

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

Savage said:

Before playtesting started, I was quite worried about the 'sameness' and lack of individuality that would plague Space Marines. This proved to be an unfounded worry though; FFG have pulled this one off wonderfully, they have created a magnificent game, that has far exceeded my expectations.

My group went into it with much the same concerns. And I think it's understandable for anyone to do so given the 'sameness' of 50 tactical marines on a battlefield.

Instead, from the first session of testing my group were commenting on how different their characters felt from one another. That's something that's only developed throughout the process.

The book allows for various styles of play and campaigns and really supports the idea of roleplaying a Marine and them feeling suitably 'awesome' (as my group kept saying, one common comment was 'I feel like a Space Marine'.

The Jericho Reach is also inspired, there's some very clever things going on there for GMs to grab hold of and run all manner of campaigns with.



#8 Kerrahn

Kerrahn

    Member

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

Peacekeeper_b said:

Anyone on here test play this? Does anyone know how compatable it is with the other 40K RPGs? Same degree of difference between this and RT that was between RT and DH?

On the Deathwatch Description page:

"While Deathwatch focuses on a different aspect of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the rule system is compatible with Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader."

Hope that helps :)



#9 Santiago

Santiago

    Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

 Okay,

 

DH characters start out with 400xp
RT characters start out with 5.000xp

Death Watch Characters will probably be the rough equivalent of 10k experience characters I guess.



#10 The Hobo Hunter

The Hobo Hunter

    Member

  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

-Except that 5k of Rogue Trader XP isn't worth anything near as much as 5k of Dark Heresy XP, when compared from the various costs and career advances in the two books. I am expecting this to continue similarly with DW, and as such I would not expect 'X XP' from DH or RT to be worth that same 'X XP' in DW.



#11 Rant

Rant

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:06 AM

I'm betting Ascension characters are about the same power level as Deathwatch characters.  They books are coming out so close to each other... if FFG can make an August release.  Maybe that's the secret purpose of Ascension!  Oh man... possibilities!

It's good to hear that you guys feel they dealt with the roleplaying concerns.  



#12 Sister Callidia

Sister Callidia

    Member

  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:35 AM

My guess would be 10k xp as well. Plus another 5 points to add to the stats So you would roll 30+2D10. Then there will be the special Space Marine traits and implants. Unnatural Strength, Toughness and perhaps Agility are to be expected. I am sure that SM's will have lots of Fear and corruption resistant talents as well.

 

 



#13 Drais

Drais

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

I have been entertaining this idea for a campaign involvong all three games. Each player could, if they chose, play three characters, an Inquistor or Cadre member, a Rogue Trader or Retinue member, and a Adeptus Astartes. Think of the possiblities, hardcore investigation and roleplaying, space combat and Xenos smashing! It would be alot of work but it could be awesome. You could run it an adventure at a time.



#14 Evilref

Evilref

    Member

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

Drais said:

I have been entertaining this idea for a campaign involvong all three games. Each player could, if they chose, play three characters, an Inquistor or Cadre member, a Rogue Trader or Retinue member, and a Adeptus Astartes. Think of the possiblities, hardcore investigation and roleplaying, space combat and Xenos smashing! It would be alot of work but it could be awesome. You could run it an adventure at a time.

It is a lot of work.

And yes, it is awesome.



#15 Aajav-Khan

Aajav-Khan

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

Evilref said:

Drais said:

 

I have been entertaining this idea for a campaign involvong all three games. Each player could, if they chose, play three characters, an Inquistor or Cadre member, a Rogue Trader or Retinue member, and a Adeptus Astartes. Think of the possiblities, hardcore investigation and roleplaying, space combat and Xenos smashing! It would be alot of work but it could be awesome. You could run it an adventure at a time.

 

 

It is a lot of work.

And yes, it is awesome.

     Oh yes. The possibilities...this really needs more thought.



#16 Giaus Novus Khan

Giaus Novus Khan

    Member

  • Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

It does sound like a damn fine idea!



#17 Drais

Drais

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Aajav-Khan said:

Evilref said:

 

Drais said:

 

I have been entertaining this idea for a campaign involvong all three games. Each player could, if they chose, play three characters, an Inquistor or Cadre member, a Rogue Trader or Retinue member, and a Adeptus Astartes. Think of the possiblities, hardcore investigation and roleplaying, space combat and Xenos smashing! It would be alot of work but it could be awesome. You could run it an adventure at a time.

 

 

It is a lot of work.

And yes, it is awesome.

 

 

     Oh yes. The possibilities...this really needs more thought.

Plus the crusade setting is perfect for a militarily oriented RT Lord Captain.  This might give FFG the excuse to add those larger ship classes and more combat ships i.e. fighters and torpedo boats.



#18 Aajav-Khan

Aajav-Khan

    Member

  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Drais said:

Plus the crusade setting is perfect for a militarily oriented RT Lord Captain.  This might give FFG the excuse to add those larger ship classes and more combat ships i.e. fighters and torpedo boats.

  The Rogue Trader has his hands full doing logistics ( running supplies and troops to contested planets ), exploration ( mapping warp lanes and planets ) and maybe some privateering. It does not help that the Inquisitor would like to use his ship to get to some mudball called Ordell IV...

  The Inquisitor is busy with inserting intelligence teams, gathering information and playing the behind-the-scenes politics of the Crusade ( "Lord-Commander. My sources have sighted a known heretic on Ordell IV. I need you to route some Fleet elements there." ) 

   The Deathwatch team is doing one long-range recon mission after the other. Followed by occasional extractions of Ordo agents or assassinations of high profile targets. Apparently the Inquisitor has asked your team to escort a cell of his Acolytes to a planet deep behind Xenos lines. A planet called Ordell IV.  



#19 Drais

Drais

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Aajav-Khan said:

Drais said:

 

Plus the crusade setting is perfect for a militarily oriented RT Lord Captain.  This might give FFG the excuse to add those larger ship classes and more combat ships i.e. fighters and torpedo boats.

 

  The Rogue Trader has his hands full doing logistics ( running supplies and troops to contested planets ), exploration ( mapping warp lanes and planets ) and maybe some privateering. It does not help that the Inquisitor would like to use his ship to get to some mudball called Ordell IV...

  The Inquisitor is busy with inserting intelligence teams, gathering information and playing the behind-the-scenes politics of the Crusade ( "Lord-Commander. My sources have sighted a known heretic on Ordell IV. I need you to route some Fleet elements there." ) 

   The Deathwatch team is doing one long-range recon mission after the other. Followed by occasional extractions of Ordo agents or assassinations of high profile targets. Apparently the Inquisitor has asked your team to escort a cell of his Acolytes to a planet deep behind Xenos lines. A planet called Ordell IV.  

[/QUOTE

Exactly!



#20 Savage

Savage

    Member

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

My regular group consists of myself and 3 players.

I fully intend to run a campaign with an inquisitor, a Rogue Trader and a Deathwatch marine.

That is what I've been planning ever since the first announcement from BI about the trilogy of games. I even have maps and notes already started for such a game.

Oh, I can't wait...no GMing plan has had me this excited since I was at high school....






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS