Mystery Game Revealed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

I hope someone who's lucky enough to attend this Grand Opening can let the rest of us know at 6pm (or as soon thereafter as possible) just what the Mystery Game is.  I'll be keeping tabs on the forums here for the first word...

#2 Cybrshaman

Cybrshaman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Well, I'm not lucky enough to be there, but it looks like the final mystery game is "Battles Of Westeros," and is based on the BattleLore system.

http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/2010/02/days-of-ice-fire-is-ffgs-next-big-board.html

#3 keltheos

keltheos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Wow, I was hoping for a Runebound RPG. 

#4 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Well, that's a bit...um...disappointing, but that's only because I was hoping for something related to Twilight Imperium, such as the new "non-Dune Dune game."  Not much into Game of Thrones or even Battlelore, but who knows, maybe this game will be so good it will change that.

Sounds like FFG liked some of the Battlelore mechanics but felt they could do a better job of creating a fantasy world for it, one that might give them more room to experiment and try things that Battlelore rules and game structure wouldn't permit.

Looking forward to more details, especially if one of the two lucky people to play the game tonight give us a report.... please....

#5 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

I note in the Hopeless Gamer blog referred to above that on the picture of the cover for the new game, it says "Core Set" which certainly implies lots of expansions a la Battlelore.  But hey, this is FFG, so I'm not surprised. Expansions is their middle name...

#6 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hmmm, looking more closely (and adjusting my glasses for aging eyes), I now note the box cover says, "A BattleLore Game." So I guess it's not an adaptation at all but a straight-up Battlelore expansion.

I have to say, that's a bit disappointing for the Mystery Game, which I thought would truly break some new ground.

#7 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Wow! that sucks. I guess FFG can give two s**ts about TOI anymore

#8 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Ditto on that. I was hoping for the Pacific Expansion at some point, though that may still be in the works.

#9 Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I guess all we can go on is the petty message board post that said "stay tuned for more TOI", yeah after 1 year and no releases this game is as good as dead

#10 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:39 AM

Sorry to hear about all your disappointment, but I for one am glad to finally see something about this game, which has been the worst kept FFG secret, though I did have no idea it would be a Battlelore game. In fact, I am now planning on getting Battlelore to learn the system, so I can play this game on day one. I am an Ice and Fire obsessive, and I and many others in my playgroup will be anxiously awaiting this game.

As for your concerns about ToI, I never thought the last "mystery game" would be an expansion to an existing line. And waiting a year for a new expansion is also not that unusual. Arkham Horror is basically going a year since the last expansion. And ToI deals with somethign that is real, as opposed to a mythology, so I am also sure they put more effort into the game. Yes, waiting for new stuff can be irritating, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that we won't see any expansions for Android (too bad I really enjoy that game), but I don't think ToI is out of the question just yet.

#11 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

All good points, JJ, and I'm glad Battles of Westros fits your needs and desires so well; I imagine that I will get more excited about it as I learn more about it.  I've never read the books,which I really must do one of these days, so it doesn't have an immediate hit for me.  Still, FFG has lately been turning out some excellent games, and I expect this will continue the tradition.

#12 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

David, I'll tell you what I tell everyone if you enjoy fantasy novels, pick up this series. It is not magic-heavy (though there are elements), but it is epic in scope, and has intriguing characters. I will admit to being an obsessive about this series (I re-listen to it over and over on audiobook), so that does cloud my judgement, but in all the years I have been recommending this series both as a fan, and now as a store owner I have only had one person who didn't enjoy the books, and of all poeple that was my best friend. It may not be everyone cup of tea, but I think it is an amazing series that deseres at least a chance from any fan of fantasy or medieval style novels.

#13 Nematode

Nematode

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

JerusalemJones said:

In fact, I am now planning on getting Battlelore to learn the system, so I can play this game on day one. I am an Ice and Fire obsessive, and I and many others in my playgroup will be anxiously awaiting this game.

Far be it from me to discourage you from buying Battlelore as it is one of my favorite game systems.  Unfortunately BoW may have little in common with Battlelore beyond the name on the box.  FFG is scrapping the core Command and Colors rule system used in Battlelore in favor of something new for BoW.  You can check out the entire debate on why BoW even has the name Battlelore on the box in that game's forum.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS