• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Dualgoth

Dualgoth

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:21 AM

Hello!

Does someone knows what contains the expansion "The Reaper"?

Are there visuals and/or previews about it?

#2 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:48 AM

The FFG products page gives an overview of the components (scroll down a bit):

Talisman products

And there's small bit of information on the BGG page, including a shot of the rear cover:

BoardGameGeek page

#3 vogless

vogless

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

It's sounding like a December release again from the info about the pre-order. IF that's the case, the rules should be up this week or next. My store is still saying January, though. Can't wait to here what's after Reaper...

#4 S3v3n11

S3v3n11

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Can we pre-order this from the FFG site yet?

#5 Dualgoth

Dualgoth

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the links Dukester ^^

I hope this expansion will reach my country soon, it looks great!

Undead everywhere, i like this

#6 Gorthuar

Gorthuar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

Based on the large pictures of the front and the back cover, I think we can speculate somewhat on the new characters.

1. The man in the helmet looks to be the Knight.

2. The man in the hat could be the Merchant.

3. The woman in the dark cultist outfit looks to be the Dark Cultist.

4. I'm at a loss in regards to the bald man. The Philosopher, perhaps?

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

#7 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:28 AM

Sounds like FFG is resurrecting various characters from 2nd ed. and its expansion and releasing them in its own expansions in new combinations... with a dusting of new characters.

#8 Dualgoth

Dualgoth

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Apparently FFG is used to renew old licences .

Both Warrior Knights and Talisman were originaly board games create by Games Workshop. As well as Drakon which, I think, is an adpated version of the board game Dragon Quest (and his expansion Catacombs). Or even Descent which is on many points similar to Heroquest...

By the way, I think it's a good thing because most of these games in their time were very difficult to obtain in France. Now it became easier and, especially, it allows to old player like me to make discover these mythic titles to younger boardgamers

Hope their R&D cell will remind this great game named Space Hulk !

#9 Lancer T

Lancer T

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Looking closer at the reaper front cover and rear cover,It seems the character with the helmet,shield,and sword could be the soldier.That would be interesting indeed.

#10 Carrion Prince

Carrion Prince

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

Gorthuar said:

Based on the large pictures of the front and the back cover, I think we can speculate somewhat on the new characters.

1. The man in the helmet looks to be the Knight.

2. The man in the hat could be the Merchant.

3. The woman in the dark cultist outfit looks to be the Dark Cultist.

4. I'm at a loss in regards to the bald man. The Philosopher, perhaps?

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

Dark Cultist? I don't remember that one from second edition. Was the character from third edition or one of the promos from white dwarf?

#11 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

Just bide your time. I am sure there will be something mentioned officially when John Goodenough has done with his article about the Grim reaper himself...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#12 Gorthuar

Gorthuar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

Lancer T said:

Looking closer at the reaper front cover and rear cover,It seems the character with the helmet,shield,and sword could be the soldier.That would be interesting indeed.

Well, this guy's helmet is almost identical to the Knight's helmet from my 2nd edition Talisman. However, come to think of it, the Polish edition had almost entirelly original artwork, with next to none carried over from GW's original. So I guess the Knight's original picture could have been different, making this character less likely to be the Knight.

Carrion Prince said:

Dark Cultist? I don't remember that one from second edition. Was the character from third edition or one of the promos from white dwarf?

Neither :) Elliot mentioned the Dark Cultist as his favourite character in the game including the Reaper expansion ;) Since there is no Dark Cultist in the basic game, we thus know one must come in the Reaper expansion. A brand new character.

talismanisland said:

Just bide your time.

No! Biding my time is good when I'm a Liche in the Warhammer World. It's boring in regards to waiting for supplements to any and all games. Baseless speculation, on the other hand, is FUN! :D

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

#13 BanthaFodder

BanthaFodder

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

All I can make out from the image with the cleverly positioned bag of dice on it is that

the Dark Cultist can do Psychic Combat and I think has Str:3 Cra:3 Liv:4

On the other characters, my money is on Merchant, Knight & Philospher

but then I thought the Dark Cultists was the Amazon...

#14 Starsaver

Starsaver

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Did anyone read the article on The Grim Reaper?  Im not sure that I like the idea of the Reaper being able to kill a player outright with no chance of survival.

#15 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Then I would suggest staying away from him! 

...and he's not all THAT bad. He has a great sense of humour for instance...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#16 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

The whole Reaper mechanism is so old, I won't be using it.  I've seen a lot of games do this, after a while you can't be bothered moving him around the bored. A little dissappointing for Talisman.

Killing a player just sucks, its like the bs Cave expansion.  A can hear a house rule 2 lives coming....

#17 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

Starsaver said:

Did anyone read the article on The Grim Reaper?  Im not sure that I like the idea of the Reaper being able to kill a player outright with no chance of survival.

Gotta use your Fate for something!

#18 Gorthuar

Gorthuar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Roy said:

Killing a player just sucks, its like the bs Cave expansion.  A can hear a house rule 2 lives coming....

Oh come on now, what are the chances of that happening anyway? 1 in 6 that a player is able to move the Reaper at all, undetermined that the Reaper will reach another player's character, and again 1 in 6 that he will kill that character. That's less then being toaded with the Fate rule availible :P

If anything is going to stop me from using the Reaper as is, it's the relative complexity of his movement rules...

Anyway, I think it sort of makes up for the toned down Raiders adventure card ;)

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

#19 RiCHiE

RiCHiE

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

The Reaper... lame.  Its like the "Key to the Kingdom" nightmare all over again. 

I like these mini optional rules components though, if you don't like it, take it out.

Unfortunetly my excitement is beginning to wain.  Lets see whats in those 90 cards :D

#20 Hook Innsmouth

Hook Innsmouth

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

I rather like the Reaper and what it can do.  Will hopefully balance out opinion for those who don't like Fate points.  Also like what happens when you roll a 5.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS