• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about the Pandora's Box ending card today from 2th edition.

From all the ending cards from 2th edition( i do not count the Dragon King because of Dragon Tower)  i like the Pandora's Box card the most.

The reason for this is, that you must roll a die to see how many spells and adventure cards you will unleash on your opponents.

But it is possible that many spells or adventure cards will not work with this ending. (you just need some luck for that)

So the question to you guys/girls is: What do you think what the Pandora's Box card must do ?

I like the idea to have a Pandora's Box in Talisman Revised Edition, but maybe it needs a new change..

#2 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

What are the rules for the old box exactly ?

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

Pandora's Box

The Crown of Command has been replaced by a large magic chest. If you are alone, you may open the chest and use its power to defeat your rivals. Each turn the chest will give you Spells and Adventure cards to attack your opponents. Roll one die for the number of Spells you pick up each turn and one die for the number of Adventure cards you pick up each turn.

You must use these on the turn that you collect them. They may be used against any of the other players. You win the game when all of your opponents have been killed.

#4 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

Okey, I agree the adventure card part should stay away or be changed. I could think of something like:

• More control of Grim Reaper
  • replace all spells and get new spells up to your craft value.
  • force players to draw extra adventure cards ( maybe 3 extra ).

Just some sugestion from here.

cheer

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

If i think about Pandora's Box, then i like to see some curse's or a plague..

How about rolling a die and see what for disaster comes out of the box.

The options are written on the card: example would be a plague, or a curse etc

Then there would be 6 options for what will happen each turn..

It's just a idea of course..

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

Or make it a deck like Warlock's Quests. Each turn you would draw D6 cards, nasty things would happen, but they would target only 1 character and the text would offer that character a way to negate or reduce the nastiness (though the cost would be high).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#7 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Dam said:

Or make it a deck like Warlock's Quests. Each turn you would draw D6 cards, nasty things would happen, but they would target only 1 character and the text would offer that character a way to negate or reduce the nastiness (though the cost would be high).

Creative idea - I like that

#8 metelik

metelik

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

Velhart said:

If i think about Pandora's Box, then i like to see some curse's or a plague..

How about rolling a die and see what for disaster comes out of the box.

The options are written on the card: example would be a plague, or a curse etc

Then there would be 6 options for what will happen each turn..

It's just a idea of course..

I agree with  Velhart. The artifact could be more according to its mythological adequate. According to myth it unleashed all nasty things on mankind - ills, toils, sickness and... HOPE. Let's do not forget about the most important part of the myth ;> Hope could cause harm to the box opener. What do You think?

Actually box is a mistake in translation from Greek. It would rather be a big jar. But of course Pandora's box has already its publicity :D

As to ye mechanics.. I would suggest rolling 2 dice subtracting 1  from the result to get numbers 1-11 which would be compared against the disasters' table. Effectively disregarding potential names nasty things happening to mankind would be loss of: fate, strength, craft or life or...

When the disaster's number would however be equal to any of attributes of any non-box-opener player <again be it: craft, strength, life, fate> the effect would be shifted in phase by Pi <sowwy am an engineer> and of double amplitude ;) Let me explain- For example in the case of the eventual  loss of 1 strength there would be 1 strength moved from the box opener to the affected player instead. And here the HOPE would come. It would force the box-opener to leave the crone-of-command cosy centre and challange characters face to face when their attributes' values start falling  below 12. Of course pandora's jar rolling would occur no matter what. In the case of double HOPE reflection - the disater's number equals the strength of one affected players and coincidentally is equal to the same attribute of the box-opener - nothing would happen ;)

I hope I did not complicated it too much.

With my best wishes

Tomas

#9 metelik

metelik

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Yet another idea of representation of hope:

All players <dead two> roll a die <+ two additional dice in the case of just two players>. If the sum of all results would be equal to the followers in game then the Pandora's box get temporarily shut and its opener teleported to some agreed place ;>

Regards

t.

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Dam said:

Creative idea - I like that

I like the idea too, but FFG must then create a handful of cards for the Pandora's box ending.

I don't know if FFG will do that,....but if we look to the warlock quests..

The easy way is to write it on the card itself ( 1-6 and roll a die..)

But Dam's idea is better.

Then the idea from 2th edition will still live, and we have a deck that is made for the box.. ( how cool would that be..)

#11 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:46 AM

I have not yet tryed the alterneative endings, but I am sure it change the game in a possitive way. And adding more endings is very wellcome. Lets just have 10 different ending or more

If FFG makes a dragon tower I wonder what they do with alternative endings

#12 Cidervampire

Cidervampire

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

Pandoras Box was always the lamest ending as it is virtually impossible to kill the other characters with.

Here is my beefed up version that seems to work ok

Pandora’s Box

If a character is on the Crown of Command and no other characters are present, he must open Pandora’s Box at the start of each of his turns. Roll one die for the number of Spells you pick up each turn and one die for the number of Adventure cards you pick up each turn.

All Spell cards must be cast before your next turn. If you have any Spell cards at the start of your next turn they are discarded. Otherwise all the normal rules for Spell Cards apply.

You must use the Adventure cards on the turn that you collect them. They may be used played on any player including yourself and are treated as if that Character had encountered the card.
Each Card you draw from Pandora's Box is played separately and therefore attacks are not combined.

Place a Pandora’s Box token on any Enemy cards that are played in this manner. The following rules apply to Enemies with this token:

a) For each turn beyond the first that you are alone on the Crown of Command space you must add an additional +1 to the attack roll of the Enemy. Eg. On the second turn the cards add 1, on the third turn they add 2 etc.
b) Enemies may not be kept as trophies and must be discarded instead.

If a Character is on the Crown of Command and there is another character present, he must encounter the character instead of opening the Box.

#13 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

I have not yet tryed the alterneative endings, but I am sure it change the game in a possitive way. And adding more endings is very wellcome. Lets just have 10 different ending or more

Simple..

The players can choose if they play with the ending cards or with the Tower board.

Anyway, you can make a houserule too, to draw a ending card  and use it if you are at the top of the tower

#14 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Simple..

The players can choose if they play with the ending cards or with the Tower board.

Anyway, you can make a houserule too, to draw a ending card  and use it if you are at the top of the tower

I actually came to think of a solution too. The dragon tower could be in the form of an ending card. If you draw it you place in the dragon tower.

#15 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Simple..

I actually came to think of a solution too. The dragon tower could be in the form of an ending card. If you draw it you place in the dragon tower.

That's also a good solution.

Both idea's will work.

But i will seperate the Tower from the ending cards.

If i like to play with the tower, then i use it..

If i like the ending cards, then i will draw one at random

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

I came up with a new idea for the Pandora's box ( to make the idea from 2th work..)

Pandora's Box

When it is your turn: Roll 1 die to see how many adventure cards you will draw.

If you draw a:

Enemy:  Unleash  it on a a other character ( you may unleash every enemy card that you draw on a character)

Objects= Rust : For each object that you draw, you unleash  a curse that a object from a character will rust. The character must discard a object that the pandora's Box player want.      ( alternative: random)

Follower type card= Disease:   A Follower gets a disease ( the Pandora's Box player choose a character and he will discard one of the character's followers at random. ( for every follower type card that the pandora's box player draws, he can discard a follower from a opponent)

Event type card: If the event has a bad effect, you must use it on a character, But if it has a good effect,  or it will not work, then you may draw another card

Place/ Stranger= illness: You unleash it on a character of your choice, and he must lose a strength or Craft, per card that you use on your opponent.

-   The opponent may decide if he lose a strength or craft

-

#17 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

Just thinking and refining as I type after a quick chat with Velhart!

Basic ideas first - Pandora's Jar/Box/Tupperware was opened up by a curious woman who unleashed evil and general nastiness into the World and then closed it again, with Hope remaining in a little corner, perhaps underneath some broken crackers or something.

So, is the character replacing Pandora in this scenario, or has the jar already been opened?

What I propose is a little bit of a halfway house, where the box has been opened, but she closed it quickly and there are possibly a few evils left inside the box.

This might be done with a small deck of cards, I would suggest 6 otherwise it will string it out too long. These would be 5 Evils and 1 Hope card. This is a little bit like the endgame of Dungeonquest where you draw tokens to see if you wake the dragon...

These cards are placed on the Crown of Command, and the first character to the Crown looks into the Box/Jar and takes the top card to see what is in there.

If it is Hope, then the box is empty of evil and he can start to bring peace to the land... blah blah blah.

If it is an Evil, then the character is transported somewhere - I'm thinking Starting Place, but it would likely work easily enough if it was just to the Portal of Power as it still gives people a chance to catch up.

After he/she is teleported, the Evils on that card then affect everyone in the game. These can range from über-Evils, like lose 3 life, or you are all dead to fluffy-bunny-Evils, like lose a Follower/Life.

I would probably opt for mainly über-Evils actually as it gives a chance that there will be no actual winner! Mwuhahahaha!

The card is then set aside, leaving 5 cards (the odds are getting better!) and then the next person to the Crown takes a peek in the Box/Jar.

If it is Hope... he/she wins! If not, the cycle continues and he gets really horrible looks from the other players...

Borrowing from Velhart's post above, I might include "Plague ravages the land, all Characters must lose 1 Life and all Followers are killed", "Something about Objects", "Lose lots of Lives", "Lose all of your Lives", "Lose 1d6 Lives" and "Hope"!

The End

by Jon New Aged Four and a Half (that's Four and a Half decades!)

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#18 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:38 AM

I am not sure about the idea yet, but it's a a good thought.

But if the Box of pandora contains 5 evil cards, then it must be really nasty.

Otherwise it will grow boring. If a character get's hurt by the box, maybe he will retreat then and come back later..

Still.. i will miss the 2th edition idea, of unleashing several curses upon your oponents..and stay on your place..

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

The Box from Pandora contains some terrible things:

disease, despair, malice, greed, old age, death, hatred, violence, cruelty and war.

So if someone drew Death, then everybody will die

Hope was keeping inside..

#20 Tons-Home-rules

Tons-Home-rules

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

Our home-brew version of 2nd Ed Pandora ran something like this (if I remember well)

D6 Adventure Cards, D6 Spells. Curses and Hope

Curses =

Nothing Good can happen to someone off the Crown i.e. the targets of the CoC Pandora effect.

If Enemies, they combined and attacked you in one shot. If ST and CR were together, they added up and fought in your weakest. Since nothing Good can happen, any wins can NOT be taken as trophies.

If an Event / Stranger / Objects etc…is drawn, if something Good was going to happen, say, if though a random roll of the table, “nothing happened” instead. The Card was discarded. If something bad i.e. lose a life, toad, etc… it happened.

Spells? Same thing. If random type spell, you never got a benefit even if the table said so. Otherwise, you’d lose the life, follower, stat, etc…

Hope =

Nothing Bad can happen to the CoC Pandora wielder.

I.e. no playing enemies on yourself because they could hurt you which is something Bad. (This was just so a person wouldn’t play Low ST/CR enemies on themselves to power up. FYI this was later changed when too many stalemates occurred, putting a time pressure once Pandora was up)

If an Event / Stranger / Objects etc…is drawn, the CoC person can play them on themselves and keep the object, drink from the pool, etc... If random roll, and something Bad came up “nothing happened”.

Spells? Mirror image of #1. No Bad effects for CoC Pandora users playing a spell on themselves.

For some reason, even with the above, Pandora wasn’t as much of “a win advantage” as we’d have liked, so, on the last few months before the owner of the Talisman board moved away, we added the “doesn’t have to play the cards on his/her turn but has to before their next turn.”. Means that an opponent draws a ST 3 widget that might make you lose a ST (which, at ST 3, is pretty Mickey Mouse at endgame), or whatever, the opponent would get a surprise as the enemy cavalry appeared, at the discretion of the Pandora owner.

Pretty crazy bookeeping, but still not big.

Don’t get me started on the ST 10? 12? Belt ending. Our group was usually (Dam look away now please, heh) 18+ in both stats before we hit the CoC, making the belt useless. We made the belt +12 ST or whatever it was. But… that’s another topic.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS