Creating the Toad King!

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Would it not be cool to have a Toad King moving around the board as the reaper, just making things more toady ?

I have played with the thougth to sculp a miniature for Toad King and make a card for him as the reaper.

I startet this topic to discus how the rules should be for a Toad King. It would feel a bit official if the rules for him is made in a forum by Talisman fans

My own sugestion for Toad King rules are:

• He moves as the Reaper ( on a 1 you those to move the Reaper or Toad King )
  • When he lands on a character one of the following things wil happen:
  1. Toad for 3 turns.
  2. cast a "swamp spell" - Mis one turn.
  3. cast a "swamp spell" - For two turns you can only move one space.
  4. Nothing happens
  5. Send Toad King to another character.
  6. Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

Hope to get a lot of sugestions.

cheer

#2 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

Hah !

Mr Brogger has finally made a topic for the Toad King

Nice work

PS: I look forward to the Toad King miniature

#3 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

Is there images of Toad King from previous Talisman Games. I think I remember one in 3. edition from forrest, but not sure.

Can someone post picture/pictures of Toad King ?

Just for my inspiration to make a new art of him.

And by the way, what is peoples opinion on having a Toad King as an NPC ?

cheer

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

TOAD KING

When the Toad King lands on your character, You must roll 1 die

1. The Toad king is angry : You changed to a Toad for 3 turns.
2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
5.Send Toad King to another character.
6.Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

However, If the Toad King lands on your space while you are a Toad, he will recover you, and you get 1 Strength or Craft

-

I have just add some idea''s for the Toad King

I hope you like it

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Is there images of Toad King from previous Talisman Games. I think I remember one in 3. edition from forrest, but not sure.

Can someone post picture/pictures of Toad King ?

Toad King from Heraut & Games Workshop 2th edition

#6 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:29 AM

Thank you Velhart,

That is a funny Toad King from 2th edition, but is there not one in 3th edition as well ?

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:21 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Thank you Velhart,

That is a funny Toad King from 2th edition, but is there not one in 3th edition as well ?

No

Sadly, there is no Toad King in 3th edition

-

But it would be nice if a Toad King adventure card will be made for the Forest expansion, or the Toad King npc character off course

#8 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:56 AM

Velhart said:

TOAD KING

When the Toad King lands on your character, You must roll 1 die

2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
5.Send Toad King to another character.
6.Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.

However, If the Toad King lands on your space while you are a Toad, he will recover you, and you get 1 Strength or Craft

-

I have just add some idea''s for the Toad King

I hope you like it

Good sugestions

#9 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:49 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

This is a good idea, but the Toad King will probly never land on you. It could be if you land on him as a frog ?

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

This is a good idea, but the Toad King will probly never land on you. It could be if you land on him as a frog ?

Oh you are right..

I have just write up that idea, but did not think it through..

Your idea is better.

If a toad lands on the toad king, then he can change you to normal, and you must ignore the space..

The Toad king does not like fake toads

On top of that, i think it;s better that you do not get a bonus for strength and craft then ( if the toad king changed you to normal)

such a bonus is already included if the toad king lands on you and you roll a 6..

#11 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

I have another idea:

• As toad you may move Toad King every turn.
  • If Toad King lands on a character, that caharacter is turned into a toad for 3 turns. (Not if character is already toaded)

That makes the Toad King munch different from the Reaper.

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

I have another idea:

• If Toad King lands on a character, that caharacter is turned into a toad for 3 turns. (Not if character is already toaded)

I agree with number one.

Then the Toad King can still land on the toad.

Rules

•  At the end of your turn while you are a toad, roll a die to move the Toad King 
  •     If the Toad King lands on a toad character, he will recover you to normal, But if the toad king lands on a normal character, then he must roll the die to see what will happen to your character
  • everytime when a character rolls a 1 for his move, he must moves the toad king at the end of his turn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still like to roll a die to see what will happen to your character.

I am not sure yet, if he will activate if you roll a 1. how about a other  number?.. (somebody else idea was a 6..

#13 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

I have another idea:

I agree with number one.

Then the Toad King can still land on the toad.

Rules

•  At the end of your turn while you are a toad, roll a die to move the Toad King 
  •     If the Toad King lands on a toad character, he will recover you to normal, But if the toad king lands on a normal character, then he must roll the die to see what will happen to your character
  • everytime when a character rolls a 1 for his move, he must moves the toad king at the end of his turn

-

I still like to roll a die to see what will happen to your character.

I am not sure yet, if he will activate if you roll a 1. how about a other  number?.. (somebody else idea was a 6..

I actually like that he only moves when someone is toad.

I agree with you that a character must make a dice roll to see what happen if landed on by Toad King.

Not sure if I like him to convert characters from toad to normal.

#14 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

I agree with you that a character must make a dice roll to see what happen if landed on by Toad King.

Oke, what is your idea, what will happen when a toad king lands on a toad..?

I still like the idea that if the toad king lands on a normal character, that the character must roll a die to see what will happen.

If the toad King only moves when someone is a toad, then he is not so active during the game.

#15 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Velhart said:

Mr. Brogger said:

Oke, what is your idea, what will happen when a toad king lands on a toad..?

I still like the idea that if the toad king lands on a normal character, that the character must roll a die to see what will happen.

If the toad King only moves when someone is a toad, then he is not so active during the game.

You are right about the Toad kings low activity in game with that rule for moving .

Here is a sugestion:

Toad King

• Start location ?
  • Move ? - maybe the roll of 1 or 6 is good + the move every round if someone is toad.
  • If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.
  1.  The Toad king is angry : You changed to a Toad for 3 turns.
  2.  Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
  3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
  4. Silence: You cannot cast spells in your next 2 turns
  6. Toad King likes you - Take a gift: craft, strenght, life, spell or fate.
  • If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table. (Maybe Toad King better like you as toad and converts you again )

#16 Lubricus

Lubricus

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Cool ideas, guys, but why would the Toad King give a lot of bonuses to people? I think he should at most give out Fate and Gold. After all, he isn't as dangerous as the Reaper, so his gifts should be less valuable.

I love the idea that he moves whenever someone is a Toad, but he should move at other times as well. Maybe he could move whenever someone rolls a 2, to make it more likely an NPC will move each turn?

#17 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Lubricus said:

Cool ideas, guys, but why would the Toad King give a lot of bonuses to people? I think he should at most give out Fate and Gold. After all, he isn't as dangerous as the Reaper, so his gifts should be less valuable.

I love the idea that he moves whenever someone is a Toad, but he should move at other times as well. Maybe he could move whenever someone rolls a 2, to make it more likely an NPC will move each turn?

Thank you for joining in

It is some good points you came with.

Here is a new rule setup:

Toad King

* Cursed Clade
* Whenever a player rolls a 6 for moving, that player may move Toad King as well. When a player is toaded he may move Toad King every turn.
* If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.

2. Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
3. Absorb - The Toad King steals a random spell from you. If you don't have a spell, he gives you a spell if your Craft permits this.
6. Toad King likes you - Chose a spell from the deck and shuffle both the spell deck and discard pile.

* If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table.

#18 Lubricus

Lubricus

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

Mr. Brogger said:

Thank you for joining in

It is some good points you came with.

Here is a new rule setup:

Toad King

* Cursed Clade
* Whenever a player rolls a 6 for moving, that player may move Toad King as well. When a player is toaded he may move Toad King every turn.
* If the Toad King lands on a character, roll one die to see how the Toad King react.

2. Frog Song : Miss 1 turn
6. Toad King likes you - Chose a spell from the deck and shuffle both the spell deck and discard pile.

* If Toad King lands on a character who is toaded he converts the character back to normal, but that character must roll a dice on the Toad Kings reaction table.

Excellent! I'd love to have that NPC fouling up the game!

#19 Mr. Brogger

Mr. Brogger

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

Now we also need a good storie for the Toad King. I know there are some good scribent in the forum - maybe they can tell the Toad Kings story

My plan is:

1. Design a card for Toad King like the Grim Reaper. (I have some good contacts to get print in good quality)
  2. Make a little rule clarificatin set (A4 size) with the Toad Kings story as well.
  3. Sculping Toad King miniature and replicate it.

And when finished: Toad King expansion released (made by Talisman fans).

cheer

#20 Tobijo

Tobijo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

Lubricus said:

Lubricus said:

In my opinion the Toad King should give a lot of bonuses to people, such as strengh, craft and lives etc.

He seems to be a powerful and magical creature. And I think he should be generous to the people he likes.

Beeing turned into a toad is almost as bad as roll 1 on the Reaper-chart. At least in my gaming group. If someone new to the game sits to the table, we always tell them, the only thing realy to fear in the World of Talisman is when you get turned into a toad. Loosing everything and beeing just one step away from certain death for three rounds, sounds horrible to me.

The Reaper offers you a short, painless and clean end. Not to compare

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

But the whole idea about the Toad King and the concept so far is genius!! I'm looking forward to see Mr.Broggers design for the King.

May it rain Toads upon the world of Talisman!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS