Jump to content



Photo

Star Wars LCG??


  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

In case you missed it, earlier this week Wizards of the Coast announced that they will not be renewing their license with Lucasfilm over the gamng rights to the Star Wars franchise. While this is a blow to the SW:RPG and minis games that WotC is working on, tis may instead be a boon to other gaming companies, including FFG. The license itself is rich with detail and opportunities, and I think FFG should seriously consider picking up the license to do an LCG of the Star Wars game (as well as some real, serious board games in the setting).

I'm not going to speculate on how the game would work, but there are plenty of options, and the fact that they would have access to the movies would mean they wouldn't need to pay for art -- a big boon for a card game; just look at how much art for Warhammer: invasion is "recycled."

So, who else would love to see -- and buy -- a Star Wars LCG?



#2 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

 Star Wars LCG?!?!?!... Absolutely YES!!!!!



#3 Aykenger

Aykenger

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:07 AM

While I certainly would like to see a Star Wars LCG, it seems rather unlikely. The licenses for Star Wars are known to be rather expensive and I'd guess that WotC didn't continue the franchise because it didn't make enough profit. IMO it wouldn't be a wise move of FFG to get the license at this point. I think there are better options for their next LCG, if they do not already have one in the making.



#4 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

How'bout a WH40K LCG? 



#5 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Could FFG buy up licenses to some of the old CCGs? I've been playing CCGs since 1993 and a -whole lot- of awesome games came and went because either they couldn't compete with Magic or they couldn't afford WotC's licensing fees after the patents were awarded. I bet many of the old card games could come back as LCGs! Why not? How awesome would this be?!?! 



#6 King Blith

King Blith

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

star war lcg would be great and if done right might be the best sale lcg by far



#7 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

Aykenger said:

The licenses for Star Wars are known to be rather expensive and I'd guess that WotC didn't continue the franchise because it didn't make enough profit. IMO it wouldn't be a wise move of FFG to get the license at this point. I think there are better options for their next LCG, if they do not already have one in the making.

Well, yes, however, WotC didn't try to make a CCG utilizing the license. That's an entirely different beast from an rpg and could potentially make a lot more money. It's something WotC wouldn't be interested since it might split their customers between Magic and a Star Wars CCG.



#8 LordMalinari

LordMalinari

    Member

  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

jhaelen said:

Aykenger said:

 

The licenses for Star Wars are known to be rather expensive and I'd guess that WotC didn't continue the franchise because it didn't make enough profit. IMO it wouldn't be a wise move of FFG to get the license at this point. I think there are better options for their next LCG, if they do not already have one in the making.

 

Well, yes, however, WotC didn't try to make a CCG utilizing the license. That's an entirely different beast from an rpg and could potentially make a lot more money. It's something WotC wouldn't be interested since it might split their customers between Magic and a Star Wars CCG.

 

Actually, they did make a CCG: www.wizards.com/Default.asp, but it wasn't a massive success after the first few sets afaik.



#9 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

The WotC Star Wars ccg was pretty abyssmal. I never played DEcipher's version, but from what I understand it was a massive success.

The Star Wars property can be a successful one, and it does all come down to cost. If it is prohibitive, then yes there is no way FFG will buy it. But FFG isn't limited to just an LCG, they could create a board game or two. And with FFG's success at other property-based board games, they could do rather well. If any company would attempt to bring back Star Wars gaming, FFG would be my choice.



#10 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

I hope for something new and more original than Star Wars. Something sci fi, but different.



#11 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Oh, I suspect the next LCG will be sci-fi themed, and probably based off of either 40k or Twilight Imperium. BSG is an outside chance, and only because they already have a BSG license and if they take the same track they did with Game of Thrones it could be a good game. Starcraft doesn't strike me as being an option. But whenever a popular license is let go, there is always speculation about who if anyone will pick it up, and FFG is a likely candidiate. They are something like the 5th or 6th largest game company in the world.



#12 Slipstream

Slipstream

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

Well, the third ? box DOES resemble the same shape of the other LCG's... and the recent repackaging announcement for the current LCG's is timely. Whatever it is, I hope it IS a new LCG of some type. I'd be okay if it wasn't a sci-fi one (though I hope it is)... as the sci-fi element niche is filled for me with Race For the Galaxy.



#13 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Not like I lurk my own thread or anything, but I doubt my sci-fi niche could be filled, unless it were perhaps a Futurama line of games.



#14 King Blith

King Blith

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

well besides have a star war lcg and maybe a board game or two why not do a star war miniatures would seem they could do a lot with it

 

just think you could be playing star war role playing n a year if ffg bought the licenses



#15 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:24 AM

How'bout a Star Wars LCG that uses the Clone Wars animated art? I enjoyed the Clone Wars series as well as the movie. The movie a little more I think. That art would look -amazing- on a card. Sticking with the border-less design like WH:I is important.



#16 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

locohost said:

How'bout a Star Wars LCG that uses the Clone Wars animated art?

Yuck! That would be a strong deterrent for me. I 'hate' the look of the animated Clone Wars series - it's looks just like WoW - blech!



#17 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:04 AM

jhaelen said:

locohost said:

 

How'bout a Star Wars LCG that uses the Clone Wars animated art?

 

Yuck! That would be a strong deterrent for me. I 'hate' the look of the animated Clone Wars series - it's looks just like WoW - blech!

 

Really?!?! I really loved the look of Overpower and Wildstorms back in the day. You might not remember them.

Which of the old Star Wars CCGs did you play/like?

 



#18 Madduxx

Madduxx

    Member

  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

I think one of the big hurdles for success in any Star Wars game is deciding on the era or movie generation of fans. I'm sure many could argue positive and negative consequences to that choice. I also believe that's a big reason why the upcoming MMO "The Old Republic" chose to build their game around an era that isn't as familiar to most, to promote interest and reduce bias.

In other words, depending on what's selected you can quickly disinterest even hardcore fans that are bias or gravitate towards a given time line. With so many gaming options available it's not as difficult anymore to pass on something.  In some cases the choice can even bring out anger or frustration from those defending their favorite. And, sure, occassionally you'll see the Lucas fanboys that love anything his name is attached to.

Personally, I'd love a Star Wars LCG, but I will admit my interest would be very limited if it weren't heavily centered around Episodes IV-VI.  I can understand though that others that grew up with EI-EIII or really like The Clone Wars animated series may feel otherwise. Doing something similar as "The Old Republic"  could be an interesting option and timely with the upcoming MMO release, but I'm not sure if it would have lasting appeal and something easily promoted to others unfamilar.

My 2 cents.



#19 locohost

locohost

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Madduxx said:

I think one of the big hurdles for success in any Star Wars game is deciding on the era or movie generation of fans. I'm sure many could argue positive and negative consequences to that choice. I also believe that's a big reason why the upcoming MMO "The Old Republic" chose to build their game around an era that isn't as familiar to most, to promote interest and reduce bias.

In other words, depending on what's selected you can quickly disinterest even hardcore fans that are bias or gravitate towards a given time line. With so many gaming options available it's not as difficult anymore to pass on something.  In some cases the choice can even bring out anger or frustration from those defending their favorite. And, sure, occassionally you'll see the Lucas fanboys that love anything his name is attached to.

Personally, I'd love a Star Wars LCG, but I will admit my interest would be very limited if it weren't heavily centered around Episodes IV-VI.  I can understand though that others that grew up with EI-EIII or really like The Clone Wars animated series may feel otherwise. Doing something similar as "The Old Republic"  could be an interesting option and timely with the upcoming MMO release, but I'm not sure if it would have lasting appeal and something easily promoted to others unfamilar.

My 2 cents.


Your 2 cents is well spoken. I totally agree with loving episodes IV, V and VI. I saw (and absolutely loved) all three movies in the theater when they originally released. Guess that dates me   The IV, VI, VI Star Wars games have already been done. I, II, and III were also done in Young Jedi. Yes I played SW:YJ too and really liked it. I'm not sure doing those games again is a great idea. It -might- be, but it might not. Perhaps some fresh Star Wars content will be the ticket as you (and I) suggest. I'm basically a SW fanboy so I'll buy whatever SW game/movie/etc. comes out.



#20 jhaelen

jhaelen

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

locohost said:

 

Really?!?! I really loved the look of Overpower and Wildstorms back in the day. You might not remember them.

Which of the old Star Wars CCGs did you play/like?

To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about. I watched one episode of Clone Wars and didn't like the look at all.

As I said, to me it looked like a fan-project done using the World-of-Warcraft graphics engine.

I have not played any Star Wars CCGs. I have played Magic, Jyhad, Illuminati, NetRunner, and Call of Cthulhu.

And that order represents how much I liked each of them: Magic: not at all -> CoC: a lot.

 

For a new LCG to interest me it needs a theme/setting and artwork that appeals to me, and game mechanics that are interesting and markedly different from those of any existing LCG/CCGs.

That's why I don't care about the Warcraft LCG (bad art & a setting I dislike).

Game of Thrones at least has good art, but it's just yet another generic fantasy scenario. I might get interested if I eventually got around to read the novels and happened to like them. Then I'll investigate the game rules and if I like them, too, I may start buying into the game.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS