This thread is started to compile all the loose information about Erasmus Haarlock, his legacy, his dynasty, the adventure trilogy, and to speculate about this ill-fated Rogue Trader and his connections to other Dark Heresy themes. A place to theorize, speculate, share views and secrets and come away inspired ... let us be prepared before the Dark Traveller returns!
About the nature of Haarlock's dark legacy, in an earlier thread on its connection to the Tyrant Star, I offered this:
After having read Tattered Fates, I have some new notions about the mystery of the Tyrant Star.
It is something coming from another time, something from the past sent to the present, and cannot yet fully manifest in our time, so it's limited now to spectral appearances.
Erasmus Haarlock is behind it all. He wants to recreate time or return to a former epoch in order to get his wife and daughter back. For example: returning to the past to prevent their fates from happening. That is why he is lost now .. he still exists but in another time, in the past.
Perhaps he has killed all the Haarlock descendants because he wants to undo the things they have done, some great evil they wrought, and he wants to reset things to a time when they were not yet doing those dark things he has come to regret now.
Now I have read Damned Cities, and it shed some more light on these secrets. The themes of time and clocks are continued, and on p70 it says literally that he means to undo the past to get back that which he has lost, i.e. his wife and daughter. So that's Erasmus' goal: to control time, the past and the future. In the words of the Mirror Daemon: 'to change what was and master what can be'. Also note the message between the gilded spiders in the tower of Haarlock's Folly in Damned Cities p37: 'The future is ours', and the message above the stunning drawning of the daemon on p52 of that book: 'All shall be returned'.
It leaves a lot to ponder:
1) how is this all connected to the Tyrant Star, the black sun which is featured in Haarlock heraldry and which plays a part in Tattered Fates? In House of Dust And Ash, on p213 of Disciples of the Dark Gods, there is heraldry of the black sun on Haarlock's tomb, and words that read 'Death is but a door'.
2)what is the connection to the Hyades Locks mentioned in The Radical's Handbook (p82), which is linked to the 'portals of sleep', which is referred to by the line 'show me the portals of sleep' on the silver key that is among the auction items in House of Dust And Ash. In the Radical's Handbook it says that the key 'was once held by the Herald'. Haarlock is the Herald. The whole thing of locks and keys is a theme investigated in the utmost secrecy by the Tyrantine Cabal so there you have another connection to the Tyrant Star.
3) what is the relationship between 'the first and the last' of their line, Solomon and Erasmus Haarlock?
4) what is the significance of the golden spider heraldry on p36 of Damned Cities, which is coupled to the black sun emblem? why the spiders, suddenly?
5) is the Gilded Widow in House of Dust And Ash a representation of Haarlock's daughter? On p219 of Disciples of the Dark Gods she seems to say as much.
6) the pages of Tattered Fates and Damned Cities are shot through with barely readable 'handwritten' letters. On p56 of the last book for example it says: 'we entered the realms between worlds where there is no time or space'. What the hell is this?
7) what do we make of the prophecy issued by the Gilded Widow in House of Dust And Ash (p219): "The black sun burns and he comes, riding its wake (...). At its passing the eye shall be snuffed out, the carrion lords thrown down, and the hungering ones torn from the outer dark.'
Tyrant star? Eye of Terror? And the carrion lord is the Emperor ???
Also note, btw, that in Tattered Fates there is a clear reference to the other two Haarlock adventures: 'The Mirror shatters and the Island burns', on p56 which ofcourse is about the events in Damned Cities and House of Dust And Ash.
I am really curious to what you people think of this all and which insights you have gleaned from the secrets and tidbits of information scattered over various books. Every speculation, guess and hunch added here is highly appreciated