Best single expansion

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Rumblebuffin

Rumblebuffin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

I have only enough to buy the game and one expansion which would you say is currently the best option and why?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:31 AM

Reaper. Essentially, it doubles the Adventure and Spell decks when you add it to just the base game. You get fairly balanced characters when compared to the base game ones (there is a power creep, where each expansion seems to add more and more powerful characters, leaving base characters eating their dust). Reaper itself tends to make people avoid him, since one unlucky break can mean your death, regardless of your stats and lives. Since people avoid the Reaper (stay 7+ spaces away from him), this tends to focus all the characters to the same stretches of the board (on the Outer Region), leading to more PvP action, which is another plus for me.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

Reaper has a lot of funny cards while Frostmarch seems unbalanced. I don't own Dungeon/Forstmarch yet, so I can't tell you about these. But Dungeon cards can be drawn in the dungeon only and the additional space reduces PvP (which is more fun, as Dam said).

#4 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

I have every expansion and have played the game a ton and while I agree slightly that some of the later characters are a bit more powerful, nothing is quite broken or unbalanced with any of the stuff in the expansions. Once you mix the core game and all the expansions together it equals a very, very fun, exciting game.

If you can only afford one expansion for now I also would vote for The Reaper expansion. There's just something fun about being stalked by Death himself! But the other expansions are VERY awesome as well!

#5 kalle

kalle

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

Dungeon is by far the best, but I have only played it with all the other expansions. I haven't played any other expansion alone with the core game, except for the reaper of course. Perhaps it's a good idea to buy Talisman+reaper, and save Dungeon for the future. Something to look forward to.

#6 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

On a price note, Reaper and Frostmarch are small-boxes, while Dungeon is a big-box (adds the extra board), this more expensive than the other two.

#7 Rumblebuffin

Rumblebuffin

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:45 AM

Excellent thank you all for your feedback i do have one last question. For all expansions can the characters/cards they contain be used with just the base game if you say did not want to alter that game play for what ever reason and just wanted a larger selection of heroes and/or cards? 

#8 kalle

kalle

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

The cards and characters of the expansions can be used with no other changes to game play.

#9 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

The Reaper is the best expansion for talisman 4th revised edition at this moment.

It has a lot of good cards for the mainboard, and you get the Reaper figure and more stuff !

Best single expansion at this moment:

1: Reaper expansion

2: Dungeon expansion

3: Frostmarch expansion

#10 Frog

Frog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Reaper.   All killer no filler!  Doubles your adventure and spell cards and is a smallbox expansion.

#11 akuma508

akuma508

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Velhart said:

Best single expansion at this moment:

1: Reaper expansion

2: Dungeon expansion

3: Frostmarch expansion

I'll agree with this.

Frostmarch lost the pilot abit with the adven. cards. Not enough mosters.

#12 Freeasy

Freeasy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

Reaper not only because of many adventure and spell cards but also it intruduces interesting characters. In Poland we are still waiting for Frostmarch expansion and I'm sure that it will be delayed as previous ones. It will be called - Ice Queen not Frostmarch. So I can't say for sure that it won't be greater then Reaper.

#13 Shadow345

Shadow345

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

1. Frostmarch

2. Dungeon

3. Reaper

#14 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Shadow345 said:

1. Frostmarch

2. Dungeon

3. Reaper

I think the Dragon in your avatar has singed your brain .

#15 Shadow345

Shadow345

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

Nah, just kidding my real favorites list is,

1. dungeon

2. reaper

3. frostmarch

But I do like all the expansions so far!!

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

Shadow345 said:

Nah, just kidding my real favorites list is,

1. dungeon

2. reaper

3. frostmarch

But I do like all the expansions so far!!

Funny

I really thought that it was upside down

#17 MegaDestroyo

MegaDestroyo

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Dam said:

Reaper...tends to focus all the characters to the same stretches of the board (on the Outer Region), leading to more PvP action, which is another plus for me.

Amen.

I have only the dungeon.  I usually try to extend my list of base games rather than upgrade/expand my current collection.  Maybe a bad idea, but I feel there are more options that way.  Reaper sounds great from everything I've heard of it; probably my next purchase in the game realm.

#18 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Dragon Tower will be the best when it come out

Cheers

#19 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Old Master said:

Cheers

I agree

Old master: What is your best single expansion that is available at this moment?

Dragon Tower is not available yet

#20 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

Old Master said:

Cheers

Never mind the Dragon'sTower! Run for your lives... it's the Kitteh Tower!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS