Jump to content



Photo

Rules Clarifications concerning puzzle pieces and Broadcast Square


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AMBusam

AMBusam

    Member

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

Broadcast Square allows you to spend 1 time and one favor of any type to place a puzzle piece from and pile without moving your hero marker. Does the player gain the normal benefit or any bonuses associated with selecting/placing that piece?

Also, the Haas and Jinteki puzzle pieces have 2 lines coming into them. One connects with Haas/Jinteki and one does not. Let us suppose that a player places one of these pieces in such a way that the incomplete line is connected to the conspiracy and the connected line extends out. Can a future puzzle piece be placed connecting to that Haas/Jinteki piece if it does not connected to anything else?



#2 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

AMBusam said:

Broadcast Square allows you to spend 1 time and one favor of any type to place a puzzle piece from and pile without moving your hero marker. Does the player gain the normal benefit or any bonuses associated with selecting/placing that piece?

Yes. You get whatever effect that tile has on its back as well as any assets you get revealing it (moving leads, dropship passes, hits, etc.)

AMBusam said:

Also, the Haas and Jinteki puzzle pieces have 2 lines coming into them. One connects with Haas/Jinteki and one does not. Let us suppose that a player places one of these pieces in such a way that the incomplete line is connected to the conspiracy and the connected line extends out. Can a future puzzle piece be placed connecting to that Haas/Jinteki piece if it does not connected to anything else?

Technically, it does extend an existing line and connect properly (blue lines touching) to at least one adjacent piece - this is the one gray area of the placement rules that hopefully Kevin or Dan can clarify - if the path that is extended by the placed piece must connect to the Conspiracy Eye, or merely line up with an adjacent piece somehow.



#3 KevinW

KevinW

    Member

  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

It's fine to extend off the 'dead-ended' Jinteki/Haas piece. The only requirements are that 1) the piece be attached to another piece, 2) it be placed within the puzzle area, and 3) _A_ line, any line, on any puzzle piece, is extended.



#4 AMBusam

AMBusam

    Member

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:25 AM

Great. Thanks for clearing that up.



#5 Frozen132

Frozen132

    Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

So someone could camp Broadcast Square, choosing the Favor puzzle piece and theoretically use it free?  If you end on this square and use this ability you're also set up to use it on your next turn after the day ends. 



#6 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

Cool combo. Gotta try that!



#7 JohnnyOffice

JohnnyOffice

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:44 AM

Is the Light Twilight card that allows Raymond to double up the effect of Following a Lead - Uncovering the Conspiracy meant to double the effect of this location ability?



#8 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

No, since you do not follow up a lead.



#9 Kester

Kester

    Member

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

Wow, Broadcast Square's ability is very powerful. It's objectively better than every major nightlife location and Eliza's Toybox (providing the appropriate kind of puzzle pieces haven't run out) and is in a nice central location on the board to boot. We ran through the game 2-player last night to get a feel for it before we do a proper game, and it just got hammered. I think the only other major locations that got used were Jinteki (once) and Humanity Labor (once, and it was only useful because of the hits already provided by puzzle pieces from Broadcast Square!). Broadcast Square must have got used at least 7 or 8 times, and I can't see why this would be reduced with more players.



#10 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

Mike said:

No, since you do not follow up a lead.

I stand corrected. In the aforementioned case, I assume it means you can either place two evidence tokens or gain two puzzle tokens or dig deeper twice.



#11 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Kester said:

Wow, Broadcast Square's ability is very powerful. It's objectively better than every major nightlife location and Eliza's Toybox (providing the appropriate kind of puzzle pieces haven't run out) and is in a nice central location on the board to boot. We ran through the game 2-player last night to get a feel for it before we do a proper game, and it just got hammered. I think the only other major locations that got used were Jinteki (once) and Humanity Labor (once, and it was only useful because of the hits already provided by puzzle pieces from Broadcast Square!). Broadcast Square must have got used at least 7 or 8 times, and I can't see why this would be reduced with more players.

It still limits your in your turn. Granted, if you can end your movement there - great. But if all the leads are on the moon, you better get your sorry ass up there and do some detective work instead. ;)



#12 Lastmanstanding

Lastmanstanding

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

KevinW said:

It's fine to extend off the 'dead-ended' Jinteki/Haas piece. The only requirements are that 1) the piece be attached to another piece, 2) it be placed within the puzzle area, and 3) _A_ line, any line, on any puzzle piece, is extended.

 

Hi am new here and this is my first post:

 

We ran into a situation that is just that: A Haas piece was placed on a line that extended from the conspiracy and connected the haas to the conspiracy.

Now the question arized if it is a dead end, that meaning you cant extend from this haas tile further and link other groups to the conspiracy      OR    

if you can place further tiles on the 2nd line of the haas tile, and make more links between other groups and the conspiracy going through the haas tile.

Having remembered that i read this thread about the situation, i said that kevin wilson answered that and you can place tiles on the second line, however i was surprised to see in the rulebook that in the scoring example, page 38, the group in the upper left corner was considered not connected.

 

To be more precise: I will split the question into 2:

 

Is a group that is connected to the conspiracy ONLY  via a haas/jinteki puzzle piece  giving its bonus or not? (is that 1 link?)

Is it even possible to place tiles that  link to a line of haas/jinteki puzzle piece?

 

 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS