Photo

Sneak Peek Event - let reports roll in !!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 medeni73

medeni73

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

I sincerely hope that some of you forum guys went to this event...and please as soon as possible (yes, before brushing teeths) write first impressions !!!

Please?

#2 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

I went last night, but was only able to stay for two turns (8 seasons).  My first impression was to think "This is fantasy Twilight Imperium"  which I honestly was hoping it would be.  Now don't get me wrong it's not 100% TI but I would say about 30-40% of the game share similar rules.

I really liked the Fate deck combat system.  I didn't think I would but once I was into my first battle I really started to dig the cards.  There is very little difference between rolling dice to resolve combat and drawing a card, except with cards there's less of a chance of it falling off the table onto the floor.

The Title cards are pretty nice, especially if you can get one early in the game and load it up with 3 or 4 influence tokens.  Then if someone wants to take it from you they have to exceed the number of influence, which is less likely to happen later in the game.

I guess the only thing I didn't like was how hard it was to recruit neutrals.  I forget what the mix of good vs bad fate cards, but I think it was like 1-4.  Good being the card you need to draw to get the neutral to ally with you.  Bad being the other two cards that either push the neutral to another hex or starts a battle.  While the Fate deck is shuffled every turn it's not very likely that you are going to get a neutral through diplomacy. Of course it didn't help that I had a dragon right out side my homelands.

That being said, you can get some neutrals from taking cities, which I didn't get a chance to do.

Over all great game and I can't wait to play it again.

One more thing, the plastic mountains are really sweet.  The first thing I did was get down at eye level with the table and looked across the board.  The mountains are the cherry on top of this great game.

#3 coobe

coobe

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

thanks a lot for the impressions ! i never played Ti or know anything about it :( The neutrals was one feature i was looking for especially, hope you are wrong it wont be too hard to get them or even not worth trying

#4 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:51 AM

It's possible that there are tactic cards that make it easier to get neutrals.   I was only able to play 2 turns (8 seasons) before I had to go.

#5 medeni73

medeni73

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

Thanx a lot for first impressions...wow...It makes me want this game even more now... :)

#6 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

From the Diplomacy rules on pg 18, the difficulty of recruiting Neutrals is directly affected by the amount of influence you have and thus the number of influence tokens you spend. You draw one Fate card for every influence token spent, so if you're willing to exert and spend influence, you can greatly heighten the chances of a successful alliance.

I'm glad to hear the card combat worked so well in practice.

#7 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:50 AM

That was probably my problem, I burned through all my influnce to get the wizard title card.

#8 Johncraven

Johncraven

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

so how long do you think this game is? 

#9 Erik Pulkka

Erik Pulkka

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

Don't know how long it will take to play a game, But I am really looking forward to finding out.

Can't wait!!!!

#10 DarkElf

DarkElf

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:49 AM

Not a lot of reports rolling in ... in fact ... nada so far.

#11 Groddzilla

Groddzilla

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:06 AM

I played 2 turns (8 seasons) in an hour, so the game plays 6 turns which would roughly be 3 hours.  But I can see how once you've got a few games under your belt you could shave some time off that.  But the game was also setup with everything, so that save about an hour.

#12 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Groddzilla said:

I played 2 turns (8 seasons) in an hour, so the game plays 6 turns which would roughly be 3 hours.  But I can see how once you've got a few games under your belt you could shave some time off that.  But the game was also setup with everything, so that save about an hour.

3 hours sounds very reasonable for an epic game.  Of course, I'm sure there will be those who remove the turn limit and play until everyone else is destroyed!  Bwahaha!  ... um, those people shall remain nameless. =P

#13 dicedope

dicedope

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Attended the Runewars sneak peek. Played through 4 turns (4 years or 16 seasons) and ended up with the Uthuk player winning rather handily. In all games the maps were already setup and our beginning characters already dealt out. This let us jump directly into about 30-45 minutes of "overview" in which I found that even though I had read the rules once, I was still somewhat befuddled, since most games I learn by jumping and muddling through a few times. Despite the longish overview I have to give a round of applause to FFG for having their people very well prepared indeed.

Overall, once we began to play, things moved along at a decent pace. I wont give a blow by blow account here, but rather my impressions. The biggest impression so far is WOW!, what a lot to do in one game! I see so much depth and strategy waiting to be discovered in this. Your heroes can end up doing lots of neat things besides just going out and finding dragon runes. I had a tactics card that let me find a lost city in any hex that I had a hero (my choice) that translated into a free Stronghold which is very key to strategy since it they add greatly to combat resolution with their 5 power. The tricksy thing was deciding where to this fort because I needed to be sure I had the ability to muster troops there to hold it but I also didnt want to wait too long because there seemed to be a lot of cards that take your tactics cards away from you.
Speaking or mustering troops. I think this game has solved some of the issues other games have with massed armies and turtling strategies. As the undead, I happily mustered a good number of units early in the year only to loose them later in the year to supply shortages. Once everyone saw that, we all paid attention to food supply a little closer! Another aspect that really throws a monkey wrench into your conquest plans is the random seasonal events. In one year we had a very late thaw and as such, we could not return all of our orders cards to our hands. Another one was an incredible boon in mustering troops that suddenly burgeoned my army from a few tattered skeletons to a horde worthy of respect. I went from thinking defensively and making most moves with my heroes to thinking I could actually go on the offensive. By then, it was too late for the Uthuk had the Elves on the run and had ammassed many lands with rune tokens. In fact, he had 10 or 12 or something before he actually had the six required to win.
Another little gem was the combat. I was sort of shaken when I realized there were no dice in the game but after a few battles, this was forgetten as a concern. The troops have a decent variety and each has its own special skills. I am hoping some depth to tactical play emerges from a few more games as I can see where it might but I feel we just didnt play enough to get a good feel of it. By the way, the miniatures are like a skinny 10 or 15mm scale. This was a welcome surprise as it allows you to place numbers of them on the handsomely big tiles without it becoming a mess.

I have lots more to say but I have run out of time for now. Overall, I would say a good game if you want to play a wargame that has strong strategic elements, unpredicability, political and cloak and dagger mechanics and multiple themes to aid in achieving victory.

#14 broken

broken

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

David Spangler said:

From the Diplomacy rules on pg 18, the difficulty of recruiting Neutrals is directly affected by the amount of influence you have and thus the number of influence tokens you spend. You draw one Fate card for every influence token spent, so if you're willing to exert and spend influence, you can greatly heighten the chances of a successful alliance.

I'm glad to hear the card combat worked so well in practice.

I think the max you can spend is 6 influence, and only 4 of the 30 fate cards have the success icon, so your odds are changed by how many fate cards have been drawn so far.

#15 StarkLord

StarkLord

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

I went to the event last night and not only did I get to play a full game of Runewars, but the designer himself was at my table teaching us the game! No need to thumb through the rulebook when you have a living, breathing rule book at your table!

I barely had a chance to read through the sizable rule book before the event and so I was a little overwhelmed at first (nothing new for a FFG game), but after the first few turns I got into the flow of the game and it was quite simple to follow. I played the Uthuk Y'llan, the evil, barbaric race of demon worshipers and I'm sorry to say I did not have the luck that the previous poster mentioned about Uthuk player winning. I was thoroughly trounced by the Elves player, but because of our ongoing battle and the incredibly poor luck of the Undead player, the Humans won hands down. I did get my licks in though, so I didn't feel completely useless, indeed I felt like I was in complete control of my situation which is something that's rare in war games especially when dice are involved (although the Undead player may feel differently, seriously, his luck was really poor).

My first impressions are very good. This game has a great combination of mechanics that seemed to work really well together. They offer a surprising amount of depth and strategy and if you feel like one strategy isn't working, say you can't get a large enough force mustered, you can try using your heroes to go on quests and duel other heroes. When the Elves military might was crushing my Uthuk horde, I struck back by sending my hero to duel with his hero, crushing him in a mighty battle and ruining his plans for that turn. Such fun!

You heroes can also gain rewards through questing which helped me win the duel. I had obtained some dwarven bombs which did 3 damage to the opponent's hero if I drew a good result from the fate deck. I managed to draw this twice during our 3 round duel defeating him hands down, thus gaining all of his rewards! At that point I had 6 reward cards on one hero, and had I known what I was doing, I could have traded these rewards in for 2 dragon runes. But, as a newbie, I forgot that this was possible. Ah well, I was just excited that my hero was so buffed with all the items he was carrying!

But, don't be to greedy in snatching up dragon runes if you have no place to put them! They have to be placed on a hex that you control (1 per hex). So you do have to keep your military strength up to defend at least 6 hexes, each with six dragon runes to win the game. And if you have a couple of false runes, you've got to figure out how to claim territory with real runes, or, through an order card's supremacy ability, switch the false rune with a real one. Which I was planning on doing, but never go the chance to before the Elves came knocking on my doorstep.

There's just so much going on here, it's amazing how well it all flowed together. Granted with the designer standing there, any questions we had were instantly answered, but once we got the hang of the game we were clipping along by ourselves just fine.

I also really liked the seasons mechanic. It gave a real impression of passing time and a certain order and rhythm to the game. I found myself planning my moves not just 2-3 seasons ahead, but years ahead as well! Also, while mountains are impassable except with flying creatures, winters caused water to freeze! Thus allowing the Elves to bypass my army in the adjoining hex and march right into my stronghold!

Well, I'll leave it at that. There's so much to this game that I could continue for several more paragraphs and beyond, but my mind is starting to go numb. You'll just have to try it out for yourself!

#16 Old Blue

Old Blue

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Kick ass - I'm very glad I pre-ordered this!

#17 Asylur

Asylur

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!  I'm even more psyched than before, if that's possible!

#18 Vitalis

Vitalis

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

Its gonna be a long days of waiting this week :P

#19 Charian

Charian

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

I'll be very happy if it's only one week of waiting!

#20 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:16 AM

Charian said:

I'll be very happy if it's only one week of waiting!

Seriously.I am going nuts!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS