A question about component limitations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

The BSG rulebook states that: "If all vipers are already in play and a player wishes to activate the ´Hangar Deck´ location, he may choose to move a viper from any space area to the ´Reserves´ so that he may pilot it".

I´ve discussed this with my girl friend and we can´t agree on wether moving the viper from space to the reserves counts as an action in itself or is an extra "free" move/action. So that getting out to do battle would take 2 actions or just 1. Anyone has the answer to this?

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Nerdmeister said:

The BSG rulebook states that: "If all vipers are already in play and a player wishes to activate the ´Hangar Deck´ location, he may choose to move a viper from any space area to the ´Reserves´ so that he may pilot it".

I´ve discussed this with my girl friend and we can´t agree on wether moving the viper from space to the reserves counts as an action in itself or is an extra "free" move/action. So that getting out to do battle would take 2 actions or just 1. Anyone has the answer to this?

You can't pilot a Viper in the Reserves. But once you go out there, you get a free move action. So basically, you activate the Viper outside, put it into the Reserves, then shove it out again with you in the cockpit and get one move.

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

Mike said:

But once you go out there, you get a free move action. So basically, you activate the Viper outside, put it into the Reserves, then shove it out again with you in the cockpit and get one move.

Surely you mean "shove it out again with you in the cockpit and get one action" (which may oc be used to make a move by itself).

Thanks for the response it should come in handy when next the cylons close in on us

#4 Eunomiac

Eunomiac

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:07 AM

Hmm. I just want to clarify Mike's reading of the rules, since I'm not sure I understand him correctly.

The rule at issue: "If all vipers are already in play and a player wishes to activate the "Hangar Deck" location, he may choose to move a viper from any space area to the "Reserves" so that he may pilot it." [Rulebook, p. 28]

All those "may"s suggest that this rule is permissive: It's an extra something a player may do, as opposed to a requirement that a player must do. In other words, the rule is not saying: "You must first move a viper into the Reserves in order to pilot one." Instead, it's saying: "If there aren't any vipers left in the "Reserves," we'll let you grab an unmanned viper so you can always join the fight."

I consider this a completely free action, an extra ability to be used in these narrow circumstances. Is this correct? My only concern with Mike's response is his use of the word "activate:" "So basically, you activate the Viper outside..."  Do you mean to say that the unmanned viper must be activated independently (by someone in Command, perhaps)? Or are we all on the same page?

#5 Blankshield

Blankshield

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:09 AM

Your interpretation is correct, by me.

James

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

I shouldn't have used the term. Obvoiusly you don't activate the viper - you just take it away. But then you have a Viper in the Reserves which you (must) activate and launch.

#7 Cooley

Cooley

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

So by the full explanation

you can pull a viper from a space section to the reserves, launch with you inside, and then take your bonus move as normal after launching

#8 Mephisto666

Mephisto666

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

OMG!  I did not "know" this rule!  I think we actually played this wrong in my last game!   I am so embarrassed.

I am guess the wording was chosen so there was not confusion that you launch the viper like normal.  If they said "chose a viper in any space area to pilot" people might think they could "get in" at its current location… when they say move to reserves (and launch) its "clearer"…  haha…

Thank you for educating me!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS