Franchise?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ludyee

ludyee

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

Looks awesome.  We need something like that around here badly.  Since the WotC store closed years back, there has been no place of quality to play.  Let me know when franchise opportunities are available, I will jump in for the MD/DC area.

Eric.

#2 Trump

Trump

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

ludyee said:

Looks awesome.  We need something like that around here badly.  Since the WotC store closed years back, there has been no place of quality to play.  Let me know when franchise opportunities are available, I will jump in for the MD/DC area.

Eric.

I don't understand why you'd want a franchise in this.  Don't get me wrong.  FFG's event center is a very interesting idea for a boardgame company to try out.  But if you wanted to do something similar in your own area, couldn't you just open a store with a lot of gaming space?  And not be restricted to one company's catalog?  What exactly would you gain from a franchise here?

#3 ludyee

ludyee

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

Cache perhaps?  Why does someone open a Starbucks instead of a coffee shop?  Why open a McDonald's instead of a hamburger stand?

Think of all the exclusive FFG events/previews etc.  But more than anything it would mean a certain standard must be met as a part of the franchise agreement.  The "FLGSs" around here are anything but clean, accessible, or well stocked.  An FFG Event Center would be a cut above and with the overwhelming success the first one will be, everyone will want one of thier own within easy driving distance.  FFG Event Centers could become as prevalent as Game Stop stores, or Chipotle.

OK, I mean all this as well as the OP a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I would personnally be really excited if I had a facility like their new event center nearby.  Let's all dream big dammit.

#4 RoBro

RoBro

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

I don't believe that they are only selling and playing things out of the Catalog. In some of the pictures of the new club you can clearly see Assualt on Black Reach in the back ground and other Warhammer merchandise. Or does FFG have a licence to sell Games Workshop stuff?

#5 Gwanum

Gwanum

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

The front page said you can play any game from the Fantasy Flight Games catalog or those of thier partners including Games Workshop.  It does not say they will be selling Games Workshop products.

#6 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

ludyee said:

Cache perhaps?  Why does someone open a Starbucks instead of a coffee shop?  Why open a McDonald's instead of a hamburger stand?

Think of all the exclusive FFG events/previews etc.  But more than anything it would mean a certain standard must be met as a part of the franchise agreement.  The "FLGSs" around here are anything but clean, accessible, or well stocked.  An FFG Event Center would be a cut above and with the overwhelming success the first one will be, everyone will want one of thier own within easy driving distance.  FFG Event Centers could become as prevalent as Game Stop stores, or Chipotle.

OK, I mean all this as well as the OP a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I would personnally be really excited if I had a facility like their new event center nearby.  Let's all dream big dammit.

Hey, when we were getting started at opening a store, my partners and I went into a game store in a small town. The lighting was poor, the stock was miserable, your feet stuck to the floor, and the staff were unfriendly. Another game store I knew about changed hands several years back, and my brother kept telling me about the soda pop stain that never got cleaned up in 6 months. It almost seems like alot of game stores don't even try to be clean. I'll admit, that we don't mop ours floors every night but I'd like to think that we take good care of our store, and make it inviting to gamers and non-gamers alike who want to know what their kids/friends/spouses enjoy as a hobby.

But I don't tink FFG is looking to franchise this. I don't see this as being the next Wizards store. FFG has already held the UFS Path of the Master event at the center last year, and this is just another step in trying to solidify themselves as a cut above in the gaming industry. Having an exclusive center where they can host their exclusive events, and the players can boast about this exclusivity is probably all part of the brand. And, iff they have an sense, they'll host most of their travel events between April and October, when the MN winters won't interfere too much with travel plans. Trust me our store is about 1-1/2 hours north of FFG, and a mean winter day = no customers playing games at the store. No, wait, I take that back. A few years back there was a horrible snow-storm, and we were going to close the store that Saturday at 6pm, until we got a call from a customer saying he was coming from the Minneapolis area (60 miles away) to play Game of Thrones. So we stayed open. And a few more people showed up as well to play games. I guess us MN gamers can be crazy sometimes.

With any luck I'll be able to attend part of the Grand Opening events, but  I will miss out on the Runewars sneak preview its too soon, and I work our store very Thursday anyway.

#7 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:07 AM

*wishes he could afford to take a plane to MN on a whim*

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#8 Trump

Trump

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

JerusalemJones said:

It almost seems like alot of game stores don't even try to be clean. I'll admit, that we don't mop ours floors every night but I'd like to think that we take good care of our store, and make it inviting to gamers and non-gamers alike who want to know what their kids/friends/spouses enjoy as a hobby.

Yes, a lot of responsibility for the uncleanliness of gaming stores can be attributed to the staff, but to be fair, the patrons have some of that responsibility as well.  Teenage boy gamers are freaking animals and they don't always get better with age.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:17 AM

I wish I could afford to come there some day, but its not really worth a passport and international flight.

Maybe they will put one up in Canada and some other countries.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS