How to get local shops to support Anima: Tactics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orbit8

Orbit8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

I see some of you have been playing this game since the beginning. I would like to know how you came across this game and got others to play.

Do you have a large gaming club? Does your local retailer sponsor events?

I saw a box with a minature at my local store. It was Odin Goldsmith. Now I need the starter set, or to wait and get the Anima Tactics Rulebook.

Anyway, I will need players and stronger local support. How is this all coming together for you?

#2 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

One of the best ways to get people interested in the game is to become a "Free-Agent".  It is thier Demo team program and you can find the application here:  http://cipher-studio...free-agent-app/

You will need the Starters [or equivalent] and the ability to teach others at a FLGS.  I am just getting set to apply as soon as I have ny Starters all painted up.

#3 Orbit8

Orbit8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for posting the link on that! I have to start getting more stuff. I seem to have most of the other requirements.

One problem is I have not played the game and need to play and practice before teaching it. I sure I can work something out.

#4 Budsky

Budsky

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

I got into by simply seeing some sample figs painted up at my FLGS.  The whole vibe screamed "BlazBlue" meets tabletop skirmish game, so how could I not resist?  Everyone else was drooling over Monsterpocalypse which just released at the time...which is all good and fine if you're into that sort of thing, but not my cup of tea.

Picked up two starters, and after experiencing the beauty of the simple but effective Action system, I was in deep and never looked back.

#5 KONRAD

KONRAD

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

i agree. this game can sell itself,with the high quality minis it has.

#6 Etna''s Vassal

Etna''s Vassal

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

In my experience, the best way to sell a miniatures game, is to play it. We (my co-workers and I) used to play Warmachine in our hobby shop, and within a month we had four new players who within a month each dragged a couple friends into the game. Get a decent board with terrain (fully painted and with real miniature trees and buildings- not just felt) and a couple painted forces (not too hard with 6 figures to a side) and play the game where other customers can see. It might be a good idea to keep the rulebook open to a character's page, even if you don't need to use it, as it lets them see how nice the book looks inside. When people ask, give a basic overview of the game, and let them watch. Not everybody will bite, but once you explain that a force only costs on average $60-80 (as opposed to $400-500 for a Games Workshop army) people will start to buy in. Play 100 / 150 / 200 level games with them as they build up their forces. Don't force painting on people, as some people have no desire to paint minis (part of why MageKnight did so well).

Once you have a bit of a player base, schedule regular gaming nights and maybe even run a tournament. With enough people, a $2 - 4 buy in allows you to buy a miniature or two as a prize.

Yes, it's a straight up sales pitch, but I promise you- it works.

#7 Orbit8

Orbit8

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Etna''s Vassal said:

In my experience, the best way to sell a miniatures game, is to play it. We (my co-workers and I) used to play Warmachine in our hobby shop, and within a month we had four new players who within a month each dragged a couple friends into the game. Get a decent board with terrain (fully painted and with real miniature trees and buildings- not just felt) and a couple painted forces (not too hard with 6 figures to a side) and play the game where other customers can see. It might be a good idea to keep the rulebook open to a character's page, even if you don't need to use it, as it lets them see how nice the book looks inside. When people ask, give a basic overview of the game, and let them watch. Not everybody will bite, but once you explain that a force only costs on average $60-80 (as opposed to $400-500 for a Games Workshop army) people will start to buy in. Play 100 / 150 / 200 level games with them as they build up their forces. Don't force painting on people, as some people have no desire to paint minis (part of why MageKnight did so well).

Once you have a bit of a player base, schedule regular gaming nights and maybe even run a tournament. With enough people, a $2 - 4 buy in allows you to buy a miniature or two as a prize.

Yes, it's a straight up sales pitch, but I promise you- it works.

This is a Great Idea! I need to get a copy of the Main Rulebook. And paint some minies.

#8 Lucifer_Drake

Lucifer_Drake

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

My brother has several Wissencraft minis already & a few people at his shop do as well. After I'm finished collecting my current Vikoria's Crew for Malifaux & Dwarves I need for my Warlord army , I plan to save for Anima:Tactics. The shop owner has the book & a guy at another shop has the book so I'll have the ability to read it until I can save for the book & minis. Hopefully we can get more peaople to play. My bro is a wiz at creating terrain which he does for the shop he patrons (for credit). So hopefully we can grow A:T locally.

#9 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

Lucifer_Drake said:

After I'm finished collecting my current Vikoria's Crew for Malifaux & Dwarves I need for my Warlord army , I plan to save for Anima:Tactics.

Glad to see another Malifaux player. I've got the Nicodem and Rasputina boxed sets (plus assorted extras) and I love the game. The local FLGSs have a lot of Anima figs in stock and some of my fellow Malifaux players are into this game, too. I'm waiting on a restock of the boxed sets and I may end up buying a Janiel and/or Celia (just cuz I like them). Anima looks like a great, relatively cheap, minis game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS