Navigators - The Great Houses of the Calixis

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DocIII

DocIII

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

In the Inquisitor's handbook on pg 168 (sidebar) states: "There are three major Navigator Houses in the sector: Houses Banetek, Gazmati and Term L."

In another sidebar (physically smaller, but w/ approx. the same amount of text) on pg 173 of Disciples of the Dark Gods we are told: The dominate Navigator Houses are "the triumvirate of House Modar, House Yeshar, and House Rey'a'Nor."

Does anyone have an explanation for this conflicting information other than that the writers and editors of these two books (or at least these two sidebars) did not talk to each other/look at each others' work?

#2 FFG Ross Watson

FFG Ross Watson

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

There are quite a few easter eggs in Disciples of the Dark Gods for the sharp-eyed reader...clues and questions that will be answered in future releases.

As to the Navigator houses, there's not a mistake. There are three major houses...and three dominant houses...make of that what you will. For now.

#3 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Grumble.

I like a bit of mystery as much as the next man, but as GMs trying to cope with the vast Imperium of Man and presenting this to my players in a (vaguely) believable manner such confusion is the last thing I need.

I buy these books for answers and information, not for "clues and questions that will be answered in future releases".

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#4 Charax

Charax

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

Perhaps there was a Tradewar? that would shake up the politics of the sector somewhat, as well as throwing PCs into the middle of a covert war.

#5 Ikkaan

Ikkaan

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

The winner writes history...or the one who pays the writer. In this case i would try to attribute it to conflicting opinions of the the historians in question.

But you´re right, its a minor quality problem. It just has to stay minor ;-)

#6 Lucifer216

Lucifer216

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

Oh dear...

Given that both books are likely to be written from a semi-character perspective, one could assume that the discrepancy is due to Disciples taking account of "off-the-books" or illegal trade that the Inquisition and Imperial authorities are not aware of...

#7 DocIII

DocIII

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

Lucifer216 said:

Oh dear...

Given that both books are likely to be written from a semi-character perspective, one could assume that the discrepancy is due to Disciples taking account of "off-the-books" or illegal trade that the Inquisition and Imperial authorities are not aware of...

That explanation is kind of a cop-out.  By that rationale nothing in the books need be consistent b/c its all from a "semi-character" perspective.  In any case, the sidebars in question give no indication of being "in character" particularly the one in DotDG which is presented in the same format as many rules sidebars.

Ross's explanation that on the one hand there are "major" houses and on the other there are "dominant" houses works a little better and kind of sets up a perhaps useful conflict.  

However, as these 2 little sidebars are the sum total of info provided in DH regarding Navis Nobilite houses/organizations, its kind a pain for those of us running games in which the navigator houses have a role.  No need for detailed minutiae, but clear non-conflicting info as to the visible power-players on the scene would be useful. 

As of IH you had 3 houses that were made to sound like the "big 3 in the sector."  Now w/ DotDG and Ross's explanation, it sounds as if the three "major" houses are significant because of powerbase elsewhere and that the "dominant triumverate" of Houses presented in DothDG has the strongest hold in the Calixis.  Seems like the DothDG group would have been the better crowd for GM's to know about first, as the agents of those Houses are the ones that Calix based acolytes are more likely to run into. 

#8 Redeucer

Redeucer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:00 AM

The worst part is that we will have to wait until RT comes out before we get the information.

#9 col huckenbein

col huckenbein

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:31 AM

Maybe the 'major' houses have the numerical majority of the navigators in the sector, but the 'dominant' houses supply the best and most effective navigators: the ones supplied to Battlefleet Calaxis, for example.

#10 DocIII

DocIII

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Also a valid interpretation. 

Unfortunately, since each piece of source material is written as if the other didn't exist, we have no context beyond mere speculation for determining what is meant by "major" or "dominant"

#11 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

FFG Ross Watson said:

There are quite a few easter eggs in Disciples of the Dark Gods for the sharp-eyed reader...clues and questions that will be answered in future releases.

As to the Navigator houses, there's not a mistake. There are three major houses...and three dominant houses...make of that what you will. For now.

Fair enough, I guesse sometimes even the 'omnitient' Game Masters must also be kept in the dark, so to speak. In honour of the theme of the game of course . However might we know just how much longer aproximately we might have to wait? Might it be near the end of 2009, maybe a few months, Deathwatch? Rogue Trader, a Future Designer Diary entry? Any such information might help those who may want to or already be using Navis Nobilte Houses as major ascpects of our games and also don't want to develope threads or themes to far from the 'established cannon' of Dark Heresy.

If it might be year(s) in the comming I'd imagine those of us who want to explore those avenues as fan productions and/or as aspects of our games might just proceed, however if it might be more like a couple months down the line... Just wondering.

As to the Major vs.Dominant issue it can be taken many, many diffrent ways I guesse for the time being we'll just have to 'make of it what we will'.

#12 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

col huckenbein said:

Maybe the 'major' houses have the numerical majority of the navigators in the sector, but the 'dominant' houses supply the best and most effective navigators: the ones supplied to Battlefleet Calaxis, for example.

That's the first thing that sprang to my mind, but then again I'm quirky... 

Kage

#13 TS Luikart

TS Luikart

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Sanguinius jumped up on a pogo-stick, whine, whine, whine.

Maybe the Major Houses have Heirs Apparent and a chance of producing a Paternova, whereas Dominant Houses are dominant within the Calixis Sector giving them more immediate local power / trade / influence.

Maybe.

Happy Winter Holidays.

p.s. I created a number of other Navigator Houses Great & Small in my game along with various Rogue Trader lines. Here's a few that I use:

Grundenbremoch - Ecclesiarchy connected Dominant house consisting of an unusually stable Navigator bloodline wherein mutancy was never tolerated. Seemingly pious.

Laryx-Nor - Dominant Adeptus Mechanicus favoured house. Extensive use of servitors / cherubim on their vessels.

Ariomardus - Once a great power, now fallen to a status scarely higher than that of mercenaries, the Ariomardus dream of once again ascending to the forefront of Calixis politics. To this end, they finance and participate in a number of "questionable" ventures Beyond the Rim.

Tarkhunthes - A Major House that traces its history all the way back to the Great Crusade. The head of House Tarkhunthes, Hrunmer, bears a Charter signed by the Emperor himself.

Vomakt - Ancient Rogue Trader line. As long as there has been Mankind, there have been Vomakt.

#14 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Are you by chance still working on Dark Heresy? (In a paid 'professional' capacity I mean)

...and you should get your Kirby back, I almost didn't recognise you.

#15 Kage2020

Kage2020

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:00 PM

TS Luikart said:

Maybe the Major Houses have Heirs Apparent and a chance of producing a Paternova, whereas Dominant Houses are dominant within the Calixis Sector giving them more immediate local power / trade / influence.

Maybe.

Apparently not as quirky as some.  That would work as well.  With that said, one would imagine that both would work hand-in-hand with each other, or it would be pretty much dificult to be a major house without also being a dominant one...

Kage

#16 TS Luikart

TS Luikart

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Wu Ming said:

Are you by chance still working on Dark Heresy? (In a paid 'professional' capacity I mean)

...and you should get your Kirby back, I almost didn't recognise you.

In a sense, yes I am still working on Dark Heresy... you should see the first of the fruits of my labors in a few months.

I am, however, no longer working on the line in any "professional" capacity - my contributions ended with DotDG... which I wasn't credited for. I don't blame FFG though.

#17 TS Luikart

TS Luikart

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

Kage2020 said:

Apparently not as quirky as some.  That would work as well.  With that said, one would imagine that both would work hand-in-hand with each other, or it would be pretty much dificult to be a major house without also being a dominant one...

Kage

Perhaps. I can think of a few scenarios where this wouldn't be true though. You could easily have a Major House that was low on the totem pole in a given sector because their main interests lay elsewhere. Or a sector where the "reprobates" get shipped off / exiled to... which would make a lot of sense for a sector on the rim of the Halo Stars.

#18 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

TS Luikart said:

... .I am, however, no longer working on the line in any "professional" capacity - my contributions ended with DotDG... which I wasn't credited for. I don't blame FFG though.

There seems to be a bit of that going around. So we might expect something on Dark Reign, UA or elsewhere then... ?

#19 TS Luikart

TS Luikart

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Wu Ming said:

There seems to be a bit of that going around. So we might expect something on Dark Reign, UA or elsewhere then... ?

Something like that...

I promise you'll know about it when the stars are right. 

#20 Wu Ming

Wu Ming

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

ïa ïa...

See this is why a PM function might be nice, the thread jacking and all...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS