Jump to content



Photo

Small Box Expansion for Bringing the Game Together


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Quizoid

Quizoid

    Member

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:26 AM

 So, it's my guess that they'll release a third big box expansion, and another little box.  

I came up with an idea that it would be nice if the next little box expansion was geared toward those who play with all expansions at once.

I sort of get the feeling, from a design point of view, that the expansions are mostly tested in isolation (might be wrong on that, but it's the impression from the sometimes less than eloquent way they go together, and the fact that the small and big boxes are made by different teams).  

So, it would be neat to do something along the lines of "Munchkin Blender."  A small box expansion that would help the game run better when playing with it all.

Ideas might be to:

introduce a different Ally-setup mechanic, so that you aren't having everyone but 11 of your over 22 allies leave town at the beginning of the game (actually, I think something like the Dark Pharaoh's rule might work)

add more Act Cards, so that they are actually a threat if you have a skyscraper mythos deck

 

Any other ideas?  What do you think of this idea in general?



#2 Eddie

Eddie

    Member

  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

- More gates at Dunwich locations and other mythos cards that help to avoid the dilution of adding all expansions (e.g. more cult encounters for the black goat expansion). Maybe a few elder signs and other items

- The two heralds available on the website so they look the same instead of printed.

 



#3 kilrah

kilrah

    Member

  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

All of the above, but additionally add a ways to get the relics from CotdP more regulary.

 



#4 Eddie

Eddie

    Member

  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

kilrah said:

All of the above, but additionally add a ways to get the relics from CotdP more regulary.

Agreed. I don't have CotdP so I didn't think about it. They could also include a manual with "If you have expansion X and Y, add these cards:".



#5 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:14 AM

I find the biggest problem with using all the expansions is the skyscraper decks for Mythos and Outer World cards. I'd rather see them as being limited in some ways, like rules for the removal of x amount of cards, or something. The same problem occurs with the many of the items -- there are just too many. Perhaps for every big-box after the first, every time a player "shops" they draw an additionl card for each BB expansion. That way, if we are playing with Dunwich, Kingsport and "Innsmouth," we draw 5 items and purchase one at the General Store and the Curiostity shop, and four spells at the Magic Shop, etc.



#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

    Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

  • Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:42 AM

JerusalemJones said:

 

I find the biggest problem with using all the expansions is the skyscraper decks for Mythos and Outer World cards. I'd rather see them as being limited in some ways, like rules for the removal of x amount of cards, or something. The same problem occurs with the many of the items -- there are just too many. Perhaps for every big-box after the first, every time a player "shops" they draw an additionl card for each BB expansion. That way, if we are playing with Dunwich, Kingsport and "Innsmouth," we draw 5 items and purchase one at the General Store and the Curiostity shop, and four spells at the Magic Shop, etc.

 

 

 

Heh...  It's good that the item decks are tall...  Otherwise it's easy to fish for items you need and exploit the game dynamics ;')



#7 Glamdryn

Glamdryn

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

The taller the better, in my book.  Need me a man servant to shuffle my cards though...

 

-glam



#8 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

I like my current Unique Item deck. When shopping normally, there is a 1 in 8 chance of drawing an Elder Sign. Since I use 4 investigators, if all head to Curiositie on the first turn, there's a 50% chance of getting an Elder Sign (though shuffling sometimes clogs them at the wrong end of the UI deck). That's if all investigators have $5 (I only head to CS with 5, unless using Pete to re-buy King in Yellow) and can reach it. Generally though, I'll be lucky if I see 1 Elder Sign during a game, making each one feel that much more special (or Unique if you will). Which is what they should feel like IMO. There shouldn't be Elder Signs galore (though calling 4 galore is a bit much), any game that features 3 or more tends to become too easy.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#9 Quizoid

Quizoid

    Member

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

kilrah said:

All of the above, but additionally add a ways to get the relics from CotdP more regulary.

 

 

I forgot about that one.  That's a great idea.  They could add more Exhibit Items as well.



#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

    Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

  • Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Quizoid said:

kilrah said:

 

All of the above, but additionally add a ways to get the relics from CotdP more regulary.

 

 

 

 

I forgot about that one.  That's a great idea.  They could add more Exhibit Items as well.

 

::Shrug:: if you want to see exhibit items more frequently (while keeping them rare), make a house rule where you roll a die whenever told to draw a unique item (with the exception of starting equipment and shopping), on a one, draw an exhibit item instead.  It'll still keep the exhibit items fairly rare, but they will see *some* play (perhaps one or two per game) as opposed to almost none at all.



#11 Shnik

Shnik

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

Avi_dreader said:

::Shrug:: if you want to see exhibit items more frequently (while keeping them rare), make a house rule where you roll a die whenever told to draw a unique item (with the exception of starting equipment and shopping), on a one, draw an exhibit item instead.  It'll still keep the exhibit items fairly rare, but they will see *some* play (perhaps one or two per game) as opposed to almost none at all.

 

Plus, when using the Dark Pharaoh Herald, you don't want too many Exhibit Items!



#12 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

Shnik said:

Avi_dreader said:

 

::Shrug:: if you want to see exhibit items more frequently (while keeping them rare), make a house rule where you roll a die whenever told to draw a unique item (with the exception of starting equipment and shopping), on a one, draw an exhibit item instead.  It'll still keep the exhibit items fairly rare, but they will see *some* play (perhaps one or two per game) as opposed to almost none at all.

 

 

 

Plus, when using the Dark Pharaoh Herald, you don't want too many Exhibit Items!

Pfft, just make sure you're Michael McGlen and already Cursed  ! Or just roll a success to avoid getting Cursed (yeah, that's not for me).


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#13 Ophryon

Ophryon

    Member

  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

I had a similar desire to synthesize the various elements.  My answer was to create new tasks with Payoffs that include rewards from all the expansions.  I now have a deck of 45 tasks, each with two alternate Payoffs.

I'm still working on artwork, but if you like the idea, you can take a look at the text of the cards here: http://sites.google....rkhaminquiries/



#14 Quizoid

Quizoid

    Member

  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:01 AM

Ophryon said:

I had a similar desire to synthesize the various elements.  My answer was to create new tasks with Payoffs that include rewards from all the expansions.  I now have a deck of 45 tasks, each with two alternate Payoffs.

I'm still working on artwork, but if you like the idea, you can take a look at the text of the cards here: http://sites.google....rkhaminquiries/

 

Speaking of which, I played the game yesterday and remembered one other thing that might help, and actually it's off topic, so maybe I'll start a new post on it, but I think something could be done about Tasks and Missions that make them matter more (especially missions).  

 

 

I also agree with Eddie and Kilrah about Relics, Cross-Expansion activity (Act Cards, Cult Activity, Dunwich Board).  



#15 Vendanna

Vendanna

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

I appreciate either a small box or a big box expansion that helps the rest of expansions to work better as example:

+ Clue tokens (For playing with hypnos or very easy we ended using the cats and eihort tokens as more clue tokens)

+ Rift tokens (so there isn't always black moon, but you can get other rifts as white moon, square, cross, etc...)

+ Dunwhich cards, to help against the dillution of the set when all expansions are together

So, basically, more things to increase the fun factor of the set and that may bring monsters that give wounds as "penance for failing" to make them more used (and annoyng)

 

Since its an all out set, you can add a few of each set, in case someone doesn't have the other expansions they can still use things.

 

Who could be the evil that gives you a wound when it moves on its slumber? Discuss. (Between Hi!)






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS