Voting on motions in Assembly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wild-Duck

Wild-Duck

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

If a motion is put forward to be voted on and no person puts forward a vote token, is it then upto the Chairman to "break the tie" or is the motion simply discarded?

By the way the rules are written it would seem that all ties are broken by the Chairman. My friends and I were split 50-50 on this, the arguement being that if  nobody voted for it, it did not merit being put forward, or that the Yes and No votes were tied at 0/0 so the the Chairman would break that tie. 

Anyone have any opinions or solutions?

My last solution was that as the Chairman breaks all ties if there were a dispute on the rules that was split 50/50 then the person who was Chairman at the time would break the dispute with his vote. LOL.

#2 lastthai

lastthai

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

Chair man break the tile

even it is 0 against 0  it still count as tile so chairman break them

#3 mylastnerv

mylastnerv

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

I would say the Chairmen gets to put his vote to pass or fail the vote.

Think of it in terms of no other Baron stated they had a problem with the vote going either way, so they just left it up to the chairman to decide. Since he faced no opposition he is free to rule as he pleases on the matter, benefits of such a grand station.

#4 Sorthlador

Sorthlador

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

It is actually in the rules earlier that it states that the chairman breaks all ties, even when no one votes. 

Donzos. 

- "So Say We All" 

#5 The Thing In The Attic

The Thing In The Attic

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

you can only cast a vote if you reveal a vote token. if your outstretched hand does not reveal a vote token then you cannot cast it.

the chairman breaks ties of votes. if no one votes there is no tie of no-votes, the agenda simply has not been voted on.

i.e if all members of the assembly reveal empty fists (ie no vote tokens )  then they cannot cast their vote or decision. so in effect there is no tie to break because no one actually voted. the agenda card is placed on the discard pile where it can be re-voted on during a private motion.

#6 The Thing In The Attic

The Thing In The Attic

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

lastthai said:

Chair man break the tile

even it is 0 against 0  it still count as tile so chairman break them

see my post above for clarification

this is not a tie, no-one has voted in this example.  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS