Core Set Books Available as PDFs via DriveThruRPG and RPGNow

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ynnen

ynnen

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'm pleased to announce that the WFRP core set books are available for purchase as PDFs through our PDF partners.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is a new way to experience the popular Warhammer Fantasy setting. It is a grim world, constantly at war. As a hero, you will take up weapon, spell, or prayer and do your best to combat the might of enemies terrifying to behold. As the Game Master, you will make the lands of the Old World real as you craft the story, the people, creatures, and the mysteries the other players will encounter during their adventures.

Now, the four books found in the core set can be downloaded at drivethrurpg.com and rpgnow.com. You can download the Rulebook, Tome of Adventure, Tome of Blessings, and Tome of Mysteries separately, or as a bundle! Although you still need a physical copy of the core set to get the cards, custom dice, and other necessary components, pdf copies of its informative books will provide a quick and handy reference tool.

Keep watching, as more of our fan-favorite RPGs are made available through this exciting new resource!

#2 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

Great decision (and something I was anticipating). This should give a lot of folks the opportunity to at least research the system before investing/rendering decisions on quality. 

I proved earlier this week that once you know the rules, it is entirely possible to play a game with only the dice. We created new characters (not perfect, but serviceable) and played through a few scenes with nothing (no cards, no rulebooks, nothing) but the dice. This quick-play format generated enough interest from everyone at the table that they want to dive into the game properly. 

So far, my regular group has been enjoying the system thoroughly; fatigue, refresh, dice, cards - the whole nine yards. 

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

Do these include/incorporate the errata and rules clarifications?

jh

#4 von Clausewitz

von Clausewitz

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:45 PM

I haven't had a chance to look through them yet as I'm still downloading them 

However, DTRPG is excellent for notifying you of updates when they are added. And those updates are always free...

One of my favorite aspects of the pdf format.

#5 NezziR

NezziR

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this. Well done. Now players can have their own books - no problem.

#6 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

NezziR said:

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this. Well done. Now players can have their own books - no problem.

I'm with NezziR in this. Great job!

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#7 barefootwanderer

barefootwanderer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

/target ffg

/applaud 

forgive the MMO spiel :P

thank you FFG - the box set isn't available until the new year from amazon UK - this will give me and my fellow GM a chance to get the hang of the system before we run stuff in the new year when my Core set and Adventurers kit are available 

#8 froo

froo

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks a lot for this guys, I'm definitely going to be sending my players to get some of these items.

#9 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Unfortunately the last page of the Core Rule Book (the back cover) crashed Adobe Reader 9.2.0 (the latest version). It opens fine in Foxit Reader.

Its a good thing there's nothing useful on the back cover.

#10 R00kie

R00kie

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

R00kie said:

Unfortunately the last page of the Core Rule Book (the back cover) crashed Adobe Reader 9.2.0 (the latest version). It opens fine in Foxit Reader.

Getting the same issue with the Tomb of Adventure and the Tomb of Blessing. I haven't yet download the Tomb of Mysteries but if the issue exists with 3 out of 4 there's a good chance it will exist in the fourth.

For the moment I'll just remember to use Foxit to read them, and not Adobe.

#11 ynnen

ynnen

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:55 AM

R00kie said:

Thanks for noting that. I'll see what can be done.

#12 ugrosh

ugrosh

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Would be see the same format for Adventurer´s toolkit?

#13 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

ugrosh said:

Would be see the same format for Adventurer´s toolkit?

No books in AT, just cards, token and character sheet, so rest assured, you won't see it in pdf format.

#14 SkyCowboy

SkyCowboy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

My pdfs are extremly slow. A less detailed version would be nice, i just need the books for reference.

Greetings,

Sky

#15 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

I agree the pdf's seem very slow, I think it's "layering" or something.  Would be nice if they fixed that in an update.  I want pdf mostly for searchable document and they run slow for that.

Rob

#16 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:06 AM

valvorik said:

I agree the pdf's seem very slow, I think it's "layering" or something.  Would be nice if they fixed that in an update.  I want pdf mostly for searchable document and they run slow for that.

Rob

They are layerd and unoptimized. Those are printing pdf's and not reading.... If you have foxit pro, adobe pro or nitro you can optimize them. That will halv their size and flatten the pdf's in the process.

#17 mac40k

mac40k

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:31 AM

I really had a hard time justifying purchasing the pdfs for myself since I already own the Core Set, but once I realized that printing out the Bestiary would be easier than scanning the entries in from the book, I decided that I should at least get the ToA. However, I ended up buying the bundle anyway since I can't seem to resist giving FFG my money. While I don't need it to game with, it is a handier reference when looking up things while posting on the forums.

#18 SkyCowboy

SkyCowboy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

KjetilKverndokken said:

valvorik said:

Rob

They are layerd and unoptimized. Those are printing pdf's and not reading.... If you have foxit pro, adobe pro or nitro you can optimize them. That will halv their size and flatten the pdf's in the process.

Would it be possible for FFG to provide reading pdfs? I bought the game, bought the pdfs, so it would be nice to have them downloadable at drivetrugh as reading pdfs as well...

Greetings,

Sky

#19 Erdrick

Erdrick

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I don't know how helpful this is, but if you're using Acrobat, just do a "Save As" on the .pdf with the same filename, and that will optimize the file for Web Viewing.

Right-click the file and Properties, then go to Acrobat PDF and see if "Fast Web View" says "Yes" in order to verify that it's been done correctly.

#20 SkyCowboy

SkyCowboy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

Well, i have done this, and despite it does not say its optimized for webview, the pdfs open a lot faster. Thank you :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS