World of Warcraft: the boardgame as a less random Talisman substitute

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

Mr. Goodenough's essay on the "Fate Rule", as previously discussed in another thread, highlights the randomess factor within Talisman : "However, one side effect of all this randomness is that it can feel like the game is playing you instead of you playing the game. If a player finds himself with a long streak of bad luck and feels he has no control over the outcome, he tends to slip into a state of complacency. The player feels like he is simply standing by and watching what happens to his character instead of actively participating in the game."

This was one good reason why I stopped playing Talisman and bought, as a potential replacement, World of Warcraft: the boardgame. Both are rather similar, but the second has much less randomess in it, making it a potential substitute for Talisman's more passive experience, in my humble opinion.

Divergent opinions?

#2 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

silenceindigo said:

This was one good reason why I stopped playing Talisman and bought, as a potential replacement, World of Warcraft: the boardgame. Both are rather similar, but the second has much less randomess in it, making it a potential substitute for Talisman's more passive experience, in my humble opinion.

How about questions? Aside from the limited product description, can you describe a few basic game play differences comparatively ...

• stock archetypes like Talisman or developed individual characters or inbetween
  • movement or turn differences
  • co-operative or not or optinally both
  • requires someone to run the game
  • etc.

#3 rcmoore

rcmoore

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:48 AM

WoW:TBG is a completely different beast altogether from Talisman (unless you mean the WOW adventure game, which does share some similarities).  WOW:TBG focuses on character development and a race to beat the big boss.  It is also much more complex than Talisman, which means it is less accessible to casual gamers.

#4 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

I see, so it is indeed a lean more towards RPG and not inviting to pure board gamers looking for something with a fantasy premise/theme. There certainly is niche for it, considering its widespread popularity. I'm guessing you're also (or were) an RPGer, so timewise, how does it compare for one game of WOWBG versus an average single RPG scenario with say 4 players? Are there alternative end-games to the standard WOWBG?

#5 TheDukester

TheDukester

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

silenceindigo said:

World of Warcraft: the boardgame.

I can't help but think you're actually referring to the WoW: Adventure game, which is a different beastie altogether:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=20&enmi=World%20of%20Warcraft:%20The%20Adventure%20Game

Is that the one? Or are there some adventuring aspects to the first WoW boardgame that aren't apparent? (I've never played, and have only glanced at the rules).

#6 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

I'm a RPG-er indeed, or used to be, as can be deducted from my favourite game lists... I do like both Talisman and Wow-BG, though I'd like less randomness in the former and less dice-rolling complexity (and more site-based adventures, like in Talisman) in the latter, perhaps a hybrid of both...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS