Jump to content



Photo

New Minor Psychic Powers


  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

Greetings, brethern,

Psyker-Players of mine tend to think about the Majority of Minor Powers as "useless". While do not agree "per se" with them, I would like to come along with some additional powers (especially since I want to keep all "full blown psykers" to have all the same Minor powers).

So far, I only came up with this one. Anyway, I am not sure about the balancing. Constructive input welcome!

Psychic Assault
Threshould:               10
Range:                        20m 
Sustainable:              No
Action:                         Full

The psyker lashes out with the force of his mind against the one of a nearby target. The target must be in seen by the psyker. If the psyker succeeds in calling onto his powers, the target muss pass an routine(+20) check for willpower. If the check fails, the target becomes stunned for one round.

Overbleed:  For every 10 points of overbleed, the psyker can either increase the range of his power by 10m or heigthend the difficulty of the willpowercheck of the target by one step (from routine to ordinary; from ordinary to challenging and so on).

 



#2 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

Steer the Wild Spirit


Threshould: 8
Range: 50m
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Full

The psyker uses the warp to unsettle animals in his surrounding. Every creature within range, trained or wild, will loose temper. Mounts shy or try to throw off there rides, herd animals will panic and flee. Guard animals and creatures with similiar training will attack a nearby target..In case of trained animals, persons nearby can try to keep them back under control with an ordinary (+10) wrangling check. This will, however, take at least one round (or more so, GMs judgement)

Overbleed: For every 10 points, the range is heigthend by 10m or the difficulty for wrangling check will increase by one.



#3 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:12 AM

Netherwind blow

Threshould: 5
Range: 30m
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Half

The psyker summons up a strong ortherwordly wind that will blow up from about his position in a direcetion of his liking. While not strong enough to throw down people or larger objects, it will exstinguish open lamps and candles, carry away leaves or papers, raise up sand or dust, slam doors, clear away gas and smoke and so on.

The GM might rule that this (in conjunction with a suiting theatralic appearance) will give a+10 Bonus on Intimidation checks later in this scene.

 



#4 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Drain energy

Threshould: 7
Range: 30m
Sustainable: No
Action: Half

The psyker manipulates the warp into sucking out the energy of a minor energy source (which he must have a line of sight to). "Minor sources" include the batteries/cells of handlamps, auspexes, handheld vox units and so on. It will not work on regular vehicle batteries, weapon grade energy cells or something with similiar output (like a plasma torch) or on items of good or better qualiity (GM has the final word).

Overbleed: For every 10 points, the range his heigtend by 10m or another source is effected. The GM can rule, that a certain level of overbleed will allow to "bleed " a large battery, but never a weapon grade battery or a whole power grid!



#5 Skallagrim

Skallagrim

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Drain energy

Other than having a higher threshold, shorter range, and less versatility, this is already covered by Weapon Jinx is it not?

 



#6 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

Skallagrim said:

Drain energy

Other than having a higher threshold, shorter range, and less versatility, this is already covered by Weapon Jinx is it not?

 

No, it is not.

Weapon Jinx got an ERRATA, it is now only causing Jams in Weapons. The "stop device from functioning"-mechanic turned up in a new minor psychic power in the Radicals Handbook. But again, this only stops a device from working for one combat round. 

The "utility" of this power is to completly drain an energy source to descretly "sabotage" a small item for a longer time period, like

- "disabling" that enforcers ID-Scanner so he cannot double-check your forged documents
- putting out that handheld lightsource of your enemy so your crew can try something "in the dark"
- take out this handvox/microvox so it cannot be used to communicate/call for help
 



#7 Skallagrim

Skallagrim

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

well in that case.. it a great power!

 

here's one we use in our games

 

Pulse of the Hive
Threshold: 5
Focus Time: Half Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: Self
Within the confines of a Hive or similar high density population, the Psyker taps into the warps, sensing the ebb and flow of the the sorrunding masses. While maintaing this power the Psyker recieves +20 to his drive and land navigation checks to navigate the most efficient route through the crowded thoroughfares. If the Psyker is not Hiveborn he gains the benefits of the Accustomed to Crowds trait (Dark Heresey pg.17) while the power is sustained.



#8 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Skallagrim said:

well in that case.. it a great power!

 

here's one we use in our games

 

Pulse of the Hive
Threshold: 5
Focus Time: Half Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: Self
Within the confines of a Hive or similar high density population, the Psyker taps into the warps, sensing the ebb and flow of the the sorrunding masses. While maintaing this power the Psyker recieves +20 to his drive and land navigation checks to navigate the most efficient route through the crowded thoroughfares. If the Psyker is not Hiveborn he gains the benefits of the Accustomed to Crowds trait (Dark Heresey pg.17) while the power is sustained.

Nice one, thank you!



#9 Skallagrim

Skallagrim

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Confidant

Threshold: 7

Focus Time: Half Action

Sustained: Yes

Range: You

You twist reality in a way to make yourself, more charismatic, and appear trustworthy. While this power is active all those within WPx10 meters will have the Dispostion (DH pg 230) adjusted 2 steps favorably towards you.

Overbleed: For every 10 points by which you exceed the Threshold, you may adjust their Disposition by another step or increase the area by 10 meters.



#10 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

All of the following powers are designed as „Arcana“. If you want to use the Minor as “Psychic Powers”, reduce the Threshold by 2 and remove all needs for ritual, actions or gesture

The traitorous Hand
Threshold: 9
Focus Time: Half Action
Sustained: No
Range: 10m

With a moment of concentration and a move of one of your hands, you can make gain control of one or both hands of another, making them betray his will.

If you activate this power, one of your hands must either “open” or “close” or make a finger movement your want the other to do. Your target one or both hand will do the same movement as your hand did. He might resist with a routine test for Strenght or Willpower (decided as the arcane is learned).

While this power enables to the pulling of a weapon trigger, it does not enable any accurate shooting over any distance.

Overbleed:
For every 5 points the threshold is beaten, the range increases by 10m.

For every ten points the threshold is beaten, the test for resistance will be one step more difficulty.

The forbidden Rush
Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Full Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: Touch

Retracing a sign of the God of Lust with a finger tipped in Alcohol, Salvia or any other bodily fluid, you can fill a target with a rush that clouds the minds and the senses. The subject can try to resist with a routine willpower test & those with the “Chem Geld” Talent are immune.

If the cast successful, the target suffers -20 on any action and any resistance roles but gains the “Fearless” talent for an duration equal to the casters psi power in minutes (use this instead of the "10 rounds duration"). If the target opts not to take a resistance role or fails by five or more degrees, it gains a point of corruption.

Overbleed: For every 10 points the threshold is beaten by, the difficulty of the resistance role worsens by one step. If beaten by 20 points, the Arcana can even effect a chem. Geld (starting with +20 resistance).

 



#11 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

Everwatch (Minor Psychic Power)
The psyker infuses a tiny portion of his self within a location somewhere. If a living or daemonic or sentient mortal being enters the place, he will notice this "disturbance", no matter where he is. However, he can not discern between "one" and "many". Only between "no-one" and "daemon/mortal being". If both daemonic and mortal sentient beings are present, the psyker will only "sense" the daemonic since it is the greater "disturbance".

The power works regardless of of distance, but for a price. Since a part of his self is left behind, the psyker temporarly loses 1d5 points of Willpower. The willpower can only be regained as the power is "dropped" (after that; one point per hour) In addition, as soon and as long as anything is within the "range" of the infused spot the psyker suffers -5 on all test that need concentration due to the "disturbance" of his self.

Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Full Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: 2m around the infused "spot"

Overbleed:
For every 10 points of "overbleed", the "range" can be increases by one meter.


 



#12 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Bio-Shock [Minor Psychic Power]

Threshould: 9
Range: Self
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Full

The psyker builds up a surge of bio-energy in his body that briefly spark about his form and will "jump over" to the next being that touches him (or is already in touch with him).

Anyone touching the psyker must pass a toughness test as by the rules for weapons with the "Shocking"* quality (p.129) and unarmed melee attacks of the psyker have the "Shocking"* quality as long as this power is sustained.

Please take note that not only the armour of the target but also the armour the psyker is wearing is taken into account. If the power is used to enhance unarmed attacks, the psyker best takes any gloves of. The bio-energy is not discharged as the psyker is being hit since unless he takes the "full defense" manouvre. However, any-one grabbling with the psyker is automatically subject to this power once each round (and only once).

 

As alway, feedback about the balancing is very welcome!

 



#13 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

First of all, my own bio-schock isn´t making sense. New Version

Bio-Shock [Minor Psychic Power](V0.2)

Threshould: 9
Range: Self
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Full

The psyker builds up a surge of bio-energy in his body that briefly spark about his form and will "jump over" to the next being that touches him (or is already in touch with him).

Anyone touching the psyker must pass a toughness test as by the rules for weapons with the "Shocking"* quality (p.129) and unarmed melee attacks of the psyker have the "Shocking"* quality as long as this power is sustained.

Please take note that not only the armour of the target but also the armour the psyker is wearing is taken into account. If the power is used to enhance unarmed attacks, the psyker best takes any gloves of. The bio-energy is not discharged as the psyker is being hit with a weapon. However, any-one grabbling with the psyker is automatically subject to this power once each round (and only once).

and a new power idea

Predators Aspect [Minor Psychic Power]

Threshould: 7
Range: 10m
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Half

Every creature in range with the "bestial" trait must immediately pass a distrubing Fear test. If it passes the test, it still has to make a willpower check as by it´s trait at the beginning of the next round.

Overbleed: For every 10 points, either the range can be increased by 10 or the the Fear test rises by one difficulty step.



#14 Denmar1701

Denmar1701

    Member

  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Gregorius21778 said:

 

Steer the Wild Spirit


Threshould: 8
Range: 50m
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Full

The psyker uses the warp to unsettle animals in his surrounding. Every creature within range, trained or wild, will loose temper. Mounts shy or try to throw off there rides, herd animals will panic and flee. Guard animals and creatures with similiar training will attack a nearby target..In case of trained animals, persons nearby can try to keep them back under control with an ordinary (+10) wrangling check. This will, however, take at least one round (or more so, GMs judgement)

Overbleed: For every 10 points, the range is heigthend by 10m or the difficulty for wrangling check will increase by one.

 

 

I'd make the following change:

The Psyker uses the warp to unsettle the animals in his surroundings. Every non-humanoid creature in range will FRENZY.

Players can use a Full action to make a Hard (-20) Wrangling test to gain control of a single animal per round. Trained animals are controlled at a Difficult (-10) check.

While this may just seem like a change for semantics, it uses existing game mechanics, rather than creating a whole new list of what a critter will do in each situation. The other costs etc., seem reasonable.


"It's what we do... we live, fight or die, at the God-Emperor's graces"

 

... Inquisitor Mardenicvs Aneas Rexvs, shortly before his death.


#15 Denmar1701

Denmar1701

    Member

  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Gregorius21778 said:

Netherwind blow

Threshould: 5
Range: 30m
Sustainable: Yes
Action: Half

The psyker summons up a strong ortherwordly wind that will blow up from about his position in a direcetion of his liking. While not strong enough to throw down people or larger objects, it will exstinguish open lamps and candles, carry away leaves or papers, raise up sand or dust, slam doors, clear away gas and smoke and so on.

The GM might rule that this (in conjunction with a suiting theatralic appearance) will give a+10 Bonus on Intimidation checks later in this scene.

 

The only real problem with this ability, is as a Psyker, I would never use it. Why? It too closely resembles regular Psychic Phenomena per table 6-2, p. 162 in the DH corebook. As such, I wouldn't want to be shot by my audience who thought I had just activated a Power and blew my rolls and invoked the warp. Also, it really smacks of too much of a Count Dracula entrance. Wrong game setting. Though I could see an evil GM (me someimes) using by a non-player...

As I could just use LUCKY or KNACK, or both (since both are half actions, and last until the end of the next turn) to try an INTIMIDATION test, and would work without obvious theactrical effects.


"It's what we do... we live, fight or die, at the God-Emperor's graces"

 

... Inquisitor Mardenicvs Aneas Rexvs, shortly before his death.


#16 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

Aaaaaah! Feedback at last! 

Many, many thanks.  You are right, compared to Knack, "Netherwind blow" is no use. But I see no problems with a little dracual at times ;)

Thanks for pointing me to the streamline, issue in "Steer the wild mind". That is a very valid point & Frenzy IS a good idea. I think I gonna rework this. But instead of "non-humanoid" I twill tie it to the "Bestial Trait". Even more "streamlined to game mechanics"

 



#17 Denmar1701

Denmar1701

    Member

  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

Gregorius21778 said:

 

Everwatch (Minor Psychic Power)
The psyker infuses a tiny portion of his self within a location somewhere. If a living or daemonic or sentient mortal being enters the place, he will notice this "disturbance", no matter where he is. However, he can not discern between "one" and "many". Only between "no-one" and "daemon/mortal being". If both daemonic and mortal sentient beings are present, the psyker will only "sense" the daemonic since it is the greater "disturbance".

The power works regardless of of distance, but for a price. Since a part of his self is left behind, the psyker temporarly loses 1d5 points of Willpower. The willpower can only be regained as the power is "dropped" (after that; one point per hour) In addition, as soon and as long as anything is within the "range" of the infused spot the psyker suffers -5 on all test that need concentration due to the "disturbance" of his self.

Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Full Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: 2m around the infused "spot"

Overbleed:
For every 10 points of "overbleed", the "range" can be increases by one meter.


 

 

 

I like this one, but I think for game balance losing 1d5 points of Toughness would be more appropriate, or it becomes too easy for Psykers to do it. I also think this it would be a physical drain, which Toughness more easily represents.

It seems that an automatic senses of someone entering is too easy for a Minor power. So how about a Psynicience test, that the GM would have to roll secretly, when anything came in?


"It's what we do... we live, fight or die, at the God-Emperor's graces"

 

... Inquisitor Mardenicvs Aneas Rexvs, shortly before his death.


#18 Denmar1701

Denmar1701

    Member

  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

Gregorius21778 said:

Aaaaaah! Feedback at last! 

Many, many thanks.  You are right, compared to Knack, "Netherwind blow" is no use. But I see no problems with a little dracual at times ;)

Thanks for pointing me to the streamline, issue in "Steer the wild mind". That is a very valid point & Frenzy IS a good idea. I think I gonna rework this. But instead of "non-humanoid" I twill tie it to the "Bestial Trait". Even more "streamlined to game mechanics"

 

Agreed, the bestial trait would be better. I should of thought of it.

Anytime when adding something to any game I try to see if there are already existing game mechanics in place that can do the same thing. No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel.


"It's what we do... we live, fight or die, at the God-Emperor's graces"

 

... Inquisitor Mardenicvs Aneas Rexvs, shortly before his death.


#19 Denmar1701

Denmar1701

    Member

  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Skallagrim said:

 

here's one we use in our games

Pulse of the Hive
Threshold: 5
Focus Time: Half Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: Self
Within the confines of a Hive or similar high density population, the Psyker taps into the warps, sensing the ebb and flow of the the sorrunding masses. While maintaing this power the Psyker recieves +20 to his drive and land navigation checks to navigate the most efficient route through the crowded thoroughfares. If the Psyker is not Hiveborn he gains the benefits of the Accustomed to Crowds trait (Dark Heresey pg.17) while the power is sustained.

 

 

This one I have to put in my 2 coppers against, for several points:

The game designers have put out a number of different things stating effectively 'no crossing abilities between Psykers & Tech-Priests' and this one seems to be a bit too much of that.

Although the 'tapping' into the masses seems like nothing special, it is like a form of mass telepathy, which would make it more of a Discipline than a minor power.

Remember that each round is only seconds, and driving through the full size of a hive, would likely take several hours. Which means taking time every 10 rounds to reactivate the ability, while driving. Hmmm, too much like operating a cell phone and driving, not a good idea.

And finally, there are other minor powers out there, already covered such as KNACK or LUCKY, that could easily get the same thing.


"It's what we do... we live, fight or die, at the God-Emperor's graces"

 

... Inquisitor Mardenicvs Aneas Rexvs, shortly before his death.


#20 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Denmar1701 said:

Gregorius21778 said:

 

Everwatch (Minor Psychic Power)
The psyker infuses a tiny portion of his self within a location somewhere. If a living or daemonic or sentient mortal being enters the place, he will notice this "disturbance", no matter where he is. However, he can not discern between "one" and "many". Only between "no-one" and "daemon/mortal being". If both daemonic and mortal sentient beings are present, the psyker will only "sense" the daemonic since it is the greater "disturbance".

The power works regardless of of distance, but for a price. Since a part of his self is left behind, the psyker temporarly loses 1d5 points of Willpower. The willpower can only be regained as the power is "dropped" (after that; one point per hour) In addition, as soon and as long as anything is within the "range" of the infused spot the psyker suffers -5 on all test that need concentration due to the "disturbance" of his self.

Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Full Action
Sustained: Yes
Range: 2m around the infused "spot"

Overbleed:
For every 10 points of "overbleed", the "range" can be increases by one meter.


 

I like this one, but I think for game balance losing 1d5 points of Toughness would be more appropriate, or it becomes too easy for Psykers to do it. I also think this it would be a physical drain, which Toughness more easily represents.

It seems that an automatic senses of someone entering is too easy for a Minor power. So how about a Psynicience test, that the GM would have to roll secretly, when anything came in?

I think that willpower works even better for game balancing. Scratching the willpower means scratching the one thing a pskyer needs to have. He needs to resit, he needs a high bonus. In addition it was not meant as physical drain but a drain of "the self". The willpower attribute seemed to reflect this the best. But you are properbly right about the Psychniscienc skill. I generally have to re-work this for better clarification on the duration etc. 

Thanks for the feedback, it is very welcome






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS