9 replies to this topic

#1 Kalidor

Kalidor

• Validating
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Heya!

Just a question...

I don't have the cards in front of me, but the new set of 5 "difficulty" cards, that alter the set-up to make the game easier or harder...

Some of them mention a specific investigator and his/her abilities or starting equipment...

In my games, we randomnly choose investigators. 

In using this variant/option, is one of us "forced"  to start with said character mentioned?

I assume so; just wanted to check with everyone...

Thanks in advance!

J!

#2 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

IIRC one of the cards has all players start blessed. One of then has all players start cursed.

Problem is there is one character (Sister Mary) that is blessed by default and one (dunno which one) that is cursed by default. There are special rules on the cards for those two so that they get a replacement for their 'ability'. There is no need to play those specific chars.

#3 Kalidor

Kalidor

• Validating
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Again, I don't have the cards in front of me, but I swear there was one (or two...?) that specifically named an investigator and stated they started witht effect.  I don't remmeber the 2nd one, if there was...

I do recall the stipulation you mentioned; I suppose that was on the easier variant, but I swear there was one naming an actual character...

Thanks for any insight, all and happy gaming!

#4 The Message

The Message

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Yes, exactly. The card that Blesses everyone give Sister Mary a special bonus IF you use her (Since she is already blessed) and the card the Curses everyone give Rex Murphy a special penalty IF you use him (Since he is already cursed). You don't have to use the names investigators, they are just making sure that they remain affected by the cards if you do.

#5 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

The Message said:

Yes, exactly. The card that Blesses everyone give Sister Mary a special bonus IF you use her (Since she is already blessed) and the card the Curses everyone give Rex Murphy a special penalty IF you use him (Since he is already cursed). You don't have to use the names investigators, they are just making sure that they remain affected by the cards if you do.

Yep, this is exactly why they did it.  No need to take these investigators but if you do randomly draw them, they still get something out of the difficulty card.

And for your reference, here are the 5 cards:

Ultimate Cosmic Evil
Setup
Set the terror level to 5. Close the General Store and remove 5 randomly selected Allies from the game. Investigators that begin the game in the General Store instead begin in the Rivertown Streets.
Mythos Phase
After the first turn, one additional Mythos card is drawn and resolved each turn.
Scoring
If scoring your victory at the end of the game, this card is worth +6.
Ye Liveliest Awfulness
Setup
Rex Murphy begins the game with no Clue tokens.
Mythos Phase
All investigators are immediately Cursed at the start of the game.
Scoring
If scoring your victory at the end of the game, this card is worth +2.
Mind-Damaging
This is the standard difficulty level. No rules change.
Nauseating
Setup
Sister Mary begins the game with 3 additional Clue tokens.
Mythos Phase
All investigators are immediately Blessed at the start of the game.
Scoring
If scoring your victory at the end of the game, this card is worth -2.
Discomforting
Setup
During step 2 of the game setup, place an additional Clue token on each unstable location on the game board.
Mythos Phase
When a Mythos card makes a Clue token appear, an additional Clue token appears in each listed location.
Scoring
If scoring your victory at the end of the game, this card is worth -4.

#6 Kalidor

Kalidor

• Validating
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

Ah...jeez, I get it now.  :(

Sorry, the stupid set in a little bit there...happens...often.

#7 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:15 AM

On a related note....do you think FFG is going to add cards to the Difficulty Deck?  Another few "cinch, good, bad, brutal" cards in coming expansions to mix above and below the central "Zero" card?

What was that noise?

#8 Arborshate

Arborshate

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

While we're at it, what would the values of the less potent versions of "Discomforting" be?  

As I see it, in terms of power, extra clue during setup < extra clue per spot per mythos < Discomforting. 

Also, is it just me or is Ultimate Cosmic Evil not worth it?  Since the Terror level starts out at 5, the +6 score nets a +1 gain, extra Mythos or no.  So, the rest of it is that you get +1 point but have to resolve 1 extra Mythos card per turn.  Is that really worth it?   

#9 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

If all you are doing is playing purely for the end result of your score, then it isn't really worth it. If you are playing for the added challenge the card gives, then sure it is.

#10 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

Arborshate said:

Also, is it just me or is Ultimate Cosmic Evil not worth it?  Since the Terror level starts out at 5, the +6 score nets a +1 gain, extra Mythos or no.  So, the rest of it is that you get +1 point but have to resolve 1 extra Mythos card per turn.  Is that really worth it?   

Good catch!  I never realized this before.  I thought it odd that it didn't follow the pattern of a delta of 2 points like every otehr card.  But if it were only +4, then it would net you -1.  Seems they made a slight adjustment to take that into account but maybe this card should be +9 instead (+4 for the standard increase and then another +5 to offset the -5 from the terror track).  That would net you out at +4.

But on the other hand, people wanting this level of difficulty are probably doing it for the challenge and not the score.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS